Is the Brit' Champions Jersey the lamest in cycling?

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    TWH, that is cruel. You are a BAD MAN
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    RichN95 wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    compo wrote:
    Given who has just won the national champs jersey, I'm sure that having a Union Jack on it would be a bit daft.....
    Sorry, what?

I think this has been covered in a thread in the past few days. The Union Jack is the national flag of the United Kingdom. Cavendish is from the Isle of Man, which is a Crown dependency rather than part of the UK.
    He may be from the Isle of Man, but he represents the UK in World Championships. If he wins a gold they raise the Union Jack.

FYFY.

Personally I'd have no problem with a Union Jack, or any derivative being present on the jersey. It's just a technicality that (I'd assume) nobody outside of these islands actually cares about.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I'm pretty sure the team is also "Great Britain" in the World Champs, not United Kingdom.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    No wonder the rest of the world is absolutely lost on your flags, states, kingdoms etc.. when you lot aren't even sure about it :lol:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Unless Cav has ever won a race on a ship, they'll be raising the Union Flag.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    M0Mb8Pw.gif

Its all about the thumb technique
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Ed-tron wrote:
    M0Mb8Pw.gif

Its all about the thumb technique

Nicely done.

BTW has anyone ever seen Dani King not smiling/laughing?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I'm pretty sure the team is also "Great Britain" in the World Champs, not United Kingdom.

Not to mention the Union Flag, not the Union Jack... unless they decide to hold the World Championships at sea. Which, admittedly, would be kinda cool.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:

Not to mention the Union Flag, not the Union Jack... unless they decide to hold the World Championships at sea. Which, admittedly, would be kinda cool.
    That's a bit of a myth really. Jack is more commonly used by sea-goers, but there's no formal distinction.

We don't like Jacks in Cardiff though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Nicely done.

BTW has anyone ever seen Dani King not smiling/laughing?
    There wasn't a trace of a smile when she was attempting to out sprint Laura Trott for 2nd place.
    She has got a rather lovely smile though :oops:
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think this has been covered in a thread in the past few days. The Union Jack is the national flag of the United Kingdom. Cavendish is from the Isle of Man, which is a Crown dependency rather than part of the UK.

I believe that Cavendish, Froome or even Sciandri all race with a British Cycling License.
    N.Ireland race on an Irish License. (they opted to join an all Ireland Federation)
    Team GB was invented for the British Cycling Team in Beijing but the stupid media adopted the name for all sports and even those from Northern Ireland which the media should have said Team UK. (but I could be wrong)

Union Jack & Union Flag
    So when do either of these flags fly on craft at sea. ?? (I know they can fly in the Bow)
    The Royal Navy fly the White Ensign
    The Merchants fly the Red Ensign
    and there is an Isle of Man Ensign.

There is a programe running on TV about Gibraltar with the people saying proudly that they are British and their flag is the Gibraltar State Ensign. The Falklands say something similar I think.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    deejay wrote:
    N.Ireland race on an Irish License. (they opted to join an all Ireland Federation).

Point of order.

Cyclists from Northern Ireland can chose to ride on either a British Cycling or Cycling Ireland license.

I've never heard of any of the local guys, from either side of the community chosing a British license. It wouldn't make sense as all the clubs are affiliated to Cycling Ireland, as you say it's an all Ireland Federation.

Wendy Houvenaghel and Michael Hutchinson are good examples of riders who went the BC route.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    afx237vi wrote:

Haven't we had this chestnut before and isn't it the case that it can be called the Union Jack whether on land or sea? I'm sure someone cut and pasted a big chunk from Wikipedia to that effect
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    deejay wrote:
    N.Ireland race on an Irish License. (they opted to join an all Ireland Federation).

Michael Hutchinson are good examples of riders who went the BC route.

Hutch rides under an Irish Licence, so was ineligible to ride in the Brittish TT Championships ;)
  • moonshine
    afx237vi wrote:

Haven't we had this chestnut before and isn't it the case that it can be called the Union Jack whether on land or sea? I'm sure someone cut and pasted a big chunk from Wikipedia to that effect
    It is the 'Union Flag' ... Unless flown on the jack staff on the bow of a ship, at which point it is known as the 'Union Jack' ;)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.
    http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british ... nion-flag/

Parliamentary approval in 1908! Let it go!
  • Richmond Racer
    moonshine wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Hutch rides under an Irish Licence, so was ineligible to ride in the Brittish TT Championships ;)

Wonder what made Hutch switch? He rode the British champs and was never off the podium except for one year, from 02-09
  • moonshine
    He wanted to ride the TT worlds last year & wouldn't have got a start as a GB rider.
  • Richmond Racer
    moonshine wrote:
    He wanted to ride the TT worlds last year & wouldn't have got a start as a GB rider.

Ah, makes sense, thanks
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    gpreeves wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    compo wrote:
    Given who has just won the national champs jersey, I'm sure that having a Union Jack on it would be a bit daft.....
    Sorry, what?

None of it matters though. What matters is that all people born on the IoM are British Citizens - Cav is therefore entitled to compete for GB.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Daz555 wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    compo wrote:
    Sorry, what?

None of it matters though. What matters is that all people born on the IoM are British Citizens - Cav is therefore entitled to compete for GB.

He's recognised as British.
  • Yellow Peril
    Graeme_S wrote:
    It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.
    http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british ... nion-flag/

Parliamentary approval in 1908! Let it go!

That was it. In summary Union Jack=ships only=urban myth

Right, back to work in my little corner of the UK.... :twisted:
    @JaunePeril

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    So we got there in the end. Cav is British and can wear the Union Jack! :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    moonshine wrote:
    deejay wrote:

'went'

he 'now' rides under a Irish Licence
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    They say imitation is the highest form of flattery ...

http://www.rapha.cc/etape-jersey-2013/? ... tapejersey

Suddenly makes you realise it's only the quality of the white/material that makes the GB champs jersey look cheap ...
  • esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    1990/1991 National RR Champs jersey... rare photo, taken a few years later when I was on the piss at Uni!

FFS! Can't seem to add the poxy photo... this is the only bloody forum I have this problem with... GRRRRR!
  • Yellow Peril

Fantastic Esa. I love the GB jersey. I'm minded to get a replica and get it signed by as many past GB RR champs as possible. If I do it'll be coming your way first so you get front and centre!
    @JaunePeril

• esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    YP! I was chatting with a mate only last week and we thought of the same thing: get a blank GB Nats jersey and get as many ex-champs to sign it as possible... flog it for charity, or auction on here and make £13.67!
  • Yellow Peril
    YP! I was chatting with a mate only last week and we thought of the same thing: get a blank GB Nats jersey and get as many ex-champs to sign it as possible... flog it for charity, or auction on here and make £13.67!

Lol! Actually that would make sense and be very worthy. I'd bid on that!
    @JaunePeril