Is the Brit' Champions Jersey the lamest in cycling?

HalfWheeledToDeath
HalfWheeledToDeath Posts: 16
edited June 2013 in Pro race
Just back from watching the British Nat' R/R around Glasgow, great racing on a testing course, the rain stayed off, 30,000 fans according to the rozzers and Cav won it to boot - result.

I'm sure Cav is happy to have won it but does anyone agree that the jersey that he'll have to wear for the next 12 months is the lamest Nat' champions jersey in cycling? Often wondered how it could be improved....maybe mostly red with white and blue stripes?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    No, its classy.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Kris_House2.jpeg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    mike6 wrote:
    No, its classy.

This. I'm guessing the OP has never seen the national champs jerseys of a whole host of East European nations not to mention the US of A. I reckon the British jersey is one of the best. Belgium is probably the best with Britain, Italy, France and Netherlands not far behind.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Yes, the Belgian jersey is my fave.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Nice and understated. I'm not a fan of flag colours stretched out to fill an entire jersey; I've never liked the Belgian jersey that others seem to love.

The USA have had some right stinkers. They usually look like they're designed by a 5 year old, but to be fair to them it's not an easy one to do if you want to incorporate the stars and stripes.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    It is a classic jersey. Very understated and stylish.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Duplicate
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    J-Rod's one from his Caisse d'Epargne days is exceptional(ly bad)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited June 2013
    National jerseys with with a couple of stripes on the stomach should be banned completely. I have never seen such pathetic design. Especially the way Radioshack raped the national shirt designs is unforgiveable.

This, however, is how a national jersey should look like.
    Ian+Stannard+British+Cycling+Portrait+Session+5oypjVkPn9Nl.jpg
    3486301109_e507645c05_z.jpg
    bao8uhocuaazv8j-jpg-large.jpeg?w=250&h=375
    huhovdwin.jpg

Especially in the last picture you can see how ridiculous Thomas (the 'Froome glasses' doesn't do him any good either.. :lol: ) and Evans look compared to big Thor.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pross wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    No, its classy.

This. I'm guessing the OP has never seen the national champs jerseys of a whole host of East European nations not to mention the US of A. I reckon the British jersey is one of the best. Belgium is probably the best with Britain, Italy, France and Netherlands not far behind.

I agree that the British jersey is pretty nice. Swiss is the best for me with Denmark and Norway cool too. Helps if you have a nice flag but it's funny they've never used the flag for the British jersey AFAIK.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    When the National Federations start paying the rider's wages instead of the sponsor's then they can insist on their colours being most prominent.

They should get rid of them if you ask me. It was fine back in the 70s when there were only half a dozen countries in cycling but now there's loads of them. Who gives a toss if you're champion of Greece or Moldova. Marc De Maar used to have a jersey for being champion of Curacao, FFS. It's not even a country.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    When the National Federations start paying the rider's wages instead of the sponsor's then they can insist on their colours being most prominent.

They should get rid of them if you ask me. It was fine back in the 70s when there were only half a dozen countries in cycling but now there's loads of them. Who gives a toss if you're champion of Greece or Moldova. Marc De Maar used to have a jersey for being champion of Curacao, FFS. It's not even a country.

I'd hazard the champions of Greece and Moldova care that they're the champions of Greece and Moldova and the Curaçao jersey was heel mooi. :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • thomthom
    edited June 2013
    Well.. I care. And I'm sure a hell of a lot others do as well. The thread about these races on this forum is 25 pages long, so some interest must be there... It's a great tradition and if made in a proper way they are by far the most beautiful jerseys. And the riders still do their outmost to win them. The Danish one today was absolutely thrilling despite the route being dead flat.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Marc De Maar is Captain Curaçao!

rid_33_photo_scanferla_0754_220_zps31f9c2b4.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Does he speak with a really cool Caribbean accent? The only dutch guy I knew from curucao did - he was this skinny little white guy and he spoke like Viv Richards.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    It's an opportunity to do some nice/awful variations on team jerseys ... The Belgians know not to fuck with tradition ... the French and (Katusha aside) the Italians also ...

To the poster that wanted the Union Flag deign on the GB jersey ... Ask a school child why not and then come back to us ...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    To the poster that wanted the Union Flag deign on the GB jersey ... Ask a school child why not and then come back to us ...
    I did. The answer was "I was asleep. What are you talking about. You're not my daddy". Then the police were called so I didn't get to follow it up.
    So if you would like to tell us yourself then that would be appreciated.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think its the nicest jersey of them all.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:

It's an anachronism that I rather enjoy.

Cycling relishes in its peculiarity of demonstrating leaders and champions with specific jerseys.

It also gives the national races a bit more excitement in a way i believe would be missing without them.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I quite like the understated, retro look actually. I think the British jersey is one of the best.

If you were to judge the Belgian jersey simply on appearance then it's pretty ugly really. It's just the history of it that makes it epic.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Milton50 wrote:
    If you were to judge the Belgian jersey simply on appearance then it's pretty ugly really. It's just the history of it that makes it epic.

Honestly. I think Boonen makes it epic.

bettiniphoto_0049950_1_full_download__600.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    A couple of observations.

I think the 4 National Champions will all look great in the national jerseys/skinsuits. I will be interested to see how Wiggle/Honda incorporate the national colours for Joanna Rowsell's skin suit. With Mayuko Hagiwara and the Japanese flag they worked it well.

I think Cav is going to look great in his Jersey. I hope he won't be wearing it very long before having to swap it.

Movistar have already had to do a skin suit for Alex Dowsett. Same with Lizzie Armistead's team.

It's a classic design.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Milton50 wrote:

Sven Nys rocks it better for mine

bettiniphoto_0064861_1_full_600.jpg
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Kris_House2.jpeg

If you wanted to make it classy then lose the union flags from the shoulders, otherwise very nice!

Having said that at least in the Tour de France Cav will only be wearing it for a short while as he'll be wearing green for the majority of the race ;)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I think the flags on the top are a nod to the Tom Simpson era British champs jersey, Rapha must have loved doing that jersey, I kinda like the old school look of it

Not sure what the OPQS one will look like, be interesting to see what Vermarc do with it
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Turfle wrote:
    The USA have had some right stinkers. They usually look like they're designed by a 5 year old, but to be fair to them it's not an easy one to do if you want to incorporate the stars and stripes.

Worst National Champs jersey ever...

Levi-Leipheimer-e1340387246778-326x440.jpg

But then I did quite like this one...

bmc_uschamp_hincapie.jpg

(Although not so sure about the white shorts...)
  • thomthom
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Kris_House2.jpeg

If you wanted to make it classy then lose the union flags from the shoulders, otherwise very nice!

They are the ones saving this jersey!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The GB champs jersey should maybe have bigger stripes, or perhaps even something like this:

Nike%202013%202014%20PSG%20Away%20Red%20White%20Blue%20AAA%20Soccer%20Jersey-img-thumb_1366250308238010998.jpg

(Yes, I know it's a football shirt, but just to illustrate)
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The GB champs jersey should maybe have bigger stripes, or perhaps even something like this:

Nike%202013%202014%20PSG%20Away%20Red%20White%20Blue%20AAA%20Soccer%20Jersey-img-thumb_1366250308238010998.jpg

(Yes, I know it's a football shirt, but just to illustrate)

No, no it shouldn't.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:

bettiniphoto_0049950_1_full_download__600.jpg

Can't argue with that. Boonen looks amazing in it.