Hello

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I am indeed excessively hydrated, and require the release of excess fluids.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    It will be fine down with those forks, afterall it has a gold hope seat clamp!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Sorry, missed a word. I'm racing against my own Strava down a hill which is of the ilk of Fort Bill - that's DH
    that, I'd consider to be, to all intents and purposes, racing, since you're trying to beat a time.

So now we've established that riding down Fort Bill with strava on is racing, and bearing in mind you have said that downhill is only downhill when racing; the only difference between your definitions of downhill and freeride - is whether you have strava on.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, it's whether you're actually racing, or not racing
  • pesky_jones
    Yes.... and you said that riding down fort bill with strava on was racing.

so...

Me riding down Fort Bill against strava and my own times: Racing, and by your own definition - Im racing down a downhill track so it is downhill riding.

Me riding down Fort Bill track without strava (and thus not "racing"): Freeride.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    what if your phone goes flat half way down and you don't realise it went flat til you got to the bottom of the trail?

You'd have started off riding DH and you'd think you were riding DH but when you got to the bottom and realised wtf had happened you'd be relegated to only riding FR!!??...you couldn't show your face at work on Monday that's for sure!...I mean FR...on a DH track!!??..What is the world coming too!!?? mad I tells ya...mad!!!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yes, but it's the "racing" aspect that makes it a race, or DH, since DH is a race format. It doesn't have to be strava. Using strava doesn't automatically mean you're trying to beat the clock, you could just be keeping track of your riding.

Why is this so contentious? If you drive around, let's say, Nurburgring, are you racing just because you're driving on a racetrack? Of course not. You're just driving.
    DH is a race format. Unless you're racing in some way, you're just freeriding, or... You know, mountain biking.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    If you drive around, let's say, Nurburgring, are you racing just because you're driving on a racetrack? Of course not. You're just driving.

Try that argument on your insurance company if you bend your motor, and see how far it gets you... :lol:
  • felix.london
    - "just off for a drive dear"

- "oh, that's nice. Where?"

- "The Nurburgring darling. Toodleoo"

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    DH is a race format

These days DH is also a recreational sport in it's own right

Trek Session 8
  • pesky_jones
    I can see your point now. However - the term "Downhill" is more commonly associated with a riding style, opposed to a racing format. Technically it may have orignally been a race format, but is now widely accepted as a style.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    - "just off for a drive dear"

- "oh, that's nice. Where?"

- "The Nurburgring darling. Toodleoo"
    Well then if you took your car, or bike round the nurburgring, what would you call it then? Or what about the TT course. Plenty of people ride the TT course at speed, on sports bikes every day. What are they doing?
    What about racing drivers or bikers going round a course before a race to do a reccy, on mopeds or pushbikes?
    They're all on race courses, but what they're doing isn't racing, is it?
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    How does one go from this

trek4500.jpg

To this!?

1003429_10201238480114614_1228852734_n.jpg

It's even got front wheel "dual mudguard protection"; that's something I've never seen before.... ever!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    DH is a race format

These days DH is also a recreational sport in it's own right
    Sport means there's competition, and rules. Which is exactly what I'm getting at. If you're competing, it's DH, otherwise, it's not.

you want to show someone DH, show them a race. You want to show them some guys freeriding, show them some footage of people freeriding. It's not complicated. At all.
  • felix.london
    What if you're practicing for a race? Are you then allowed to call it downhill?

What about recreational figure skating? Or is that just ice skating because there aren't a panel of judges?

Dirt jumping?...what do non-pros (or pros that are training or not competing) call that?

Does every sport/past time need two definitions?..one for competition and one for recreation?

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    Sport means there's competition, and rules

"Roget's defines the noun sport as an "activity engaged in for relaxation and amusement" "

Trek Session 8
  • pesky_jones
    How does one go from this

trek4500.jpg

To this!?

1003429_10201238480114614_1228852734_n.jpg

It's even got front wheel "dual mudguard protection"; that's something I've never seen before.... ever!

The two A's:

Acid & Ambition
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Sport means there's competition, and rules

"Roget's defines the noun sport as an "activity engaged in for relaxation and amusement" "
    This was discussed ad nauseum here before. Search for it and join in if you like. It neither changes, nor alters my stance/opinion.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The two A's:

Acid & Ambition
    :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm sorry but recreational DH cannot be called freeride. That's a totally different kettle of fish and has been defined differently for years. So as has been pointed out, unless you are competing, you can ride XC, dirt jump or anything else, otherwise is that not freeride too? We're riding where we like, but not competitively, so that must be freeride :roll: The point on non-competitive DH being freeride is also as stupid as the OP's bike!! :lol: Speaking of which...

Good God what the fark are you thinking!!! That thing is a death trap, I'm surprised it hasn't snapped and killed you already! And to answer your question, there is practically no frame at thats a hardtail that will take those forks. Frankly you'd be better off selling the lot as parts and starting from scratch, but read up on components and what they're intended use is before you splurge you cash over whatever takes your fancy, cos that thing could, and probably will, kill you if you carry on riding it!!!
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    This whole thread reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQqWSnsHoA
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    unless you are competing, you can ride XC, dirt jump or anything else, otherwise is that not freeride too?
    Well, yeah, it's riding free of any boundaries, limits or rules to follow. Where do you think the name comes from? That's exactly what it DID mean years ago, before manufacturers started using it as a "COOL RAD WURD" (they actually spoke like that back then :lol: ), so that their owners could get an ego boost by calling themselves freeriders. Then big, huge, massive, mental competitions (and probably Josh Bender) came along, and people stopped calling themselves freeriders any more because they were quite plainly not doing the same thing as these guys, so everyone who wanted to be a "cool" mountain biker (something of an oxymoron), started claiming to be DH riders. And you know they do. How many people have you bumped into who do "a little DH riding", when you know for a fact they've barely got their wheels dirty?
    Thing is, very few people actually race DH. The rest of us just play bikes, occasionally on DH courses, sure, but it's just playing in the mud.

I can't think of another pastime, sport, or hobby, where this happens.
    If someone who owned a motorbike called themselves a racer of some sort, you'd laugh at them.
    If someone with a car called themselves a rally driver, or "did some rallying" on weekends, you'd laugh when you found out they weren't competing.
    Hell, if someone claimed to be a non-competitive speed skater, you'd just laugh and say it was just "skating".
    And back to snow, if someone called themselves a DH skier, but also said they'd never raced, you'd point and laugh. Rightfully so. Pointing and laughing is what separates us from the animals.

But you know what, you tell me this then, what exactly do YOU believe separates DH from, say, just mountain biking in a bike park, or freeriding?
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    edited June 2013
    I've raced both BSX and DH, which am I?

I believe, and I don't think I'm alone here, that if you are riding an actual purpose bult DH track or one where where races are held then you are "doing downhill".

That doesn't automatically make you a downhiller unless it's pretty much all you do, you could have other bikes or use the same bike for other disciplines, dirt jumping or 4X or getting to work but for the 3 minutes your are hurtling through the woods or off the side of a mountain with gravity as your engine on a track where there are others all doing the same, and no bugger is riding back up, then you my freind, are doing downhill.

This is not my opinion, this is 100% fact because it's now on the internet :lol:
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Bi, obviously :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Or what about the TT course. Plenty of people ride the TT course at speed, on sports bikes every day. What are they doing?

If they're owt like mainland sportsbike riders then probably fannying about mostly, lol...
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The point is that they're on a racetrack, in a roundabout kind of way.
  • felix.london
    Hell, if someone claimed to be a non-competitive speed skater, you'd just laugh and say it was just "skating"

Not if they had all the kit (crazy long blades and spandex I'm guessing) and were going to a venue/session where there were only others participants doing the same, going as fast as they could 'round a track on the ice. Then they would be speed skating.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    I wouldn't like to be your kid.

"Just off to play football dad"

"football!!??..pah, doesn't look like a competition pitch to me. What?..no referee!? Jumpers for goal pots?...are you mad?..that's not football!!"

:lol:

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hell, if someone claimed to be a non-competitive speed skater, you'd just laugh and say it was just "skating"

Not if they had all the kit (crazy long blades and spandex I'm guessing) and were going to a venue/session where there were only others participants doing the same, going as fast as they could 'round a track on the ice. Then they would be speed skating.
    People actually do that? I only bought it up because I'd never encountered a speed skater in the wild, and had a bizarre image of someone out on their own, ""speed skating" was bizarre (I think my mind was drawing inspiration from that episode of Malcolm in the middle where the father takes up speed walking!).

As for the football thing, now you're just being facetious.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That eposode of Malcolm is very good. In fact I loved Malcolm in the middle.

Speed skating does not need to be round a track, I'd think it was born as a Nordic passtime in the winter.