Hello

DannyNolan
DannyNolan Posts: 12
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Just wanted to say hello :D new to the forum and looking forward to finding new ideas for my bike and any advice for problems when they come. Now the important bit, the bike! I started off with a brand new Trek 4500 a few years ago.... however everything apart from the frame has gone :wink:

The Basics:
Trek 4500 Frame
Shimano Saint Dual control shifters
Shimano Saint Rear Brake
Shimano XT Front Brake
Shimano IceTech Sintered pads and 203mm rotors
Shimano XTR front Hub
Shimano XT Rear Hub
Shimano XT Front and Rear Derailer
Shimano XT Crank Set
Rockshox Domain 200mm Front Shock
RaceFace Atlas Handlebar stem
Easton EC90 Handbar and barends
Easton EC70 Seat post
Stella Italia Seat
Jagwire gold hoses (for derailers)
Goodridge braided hoses (for brakes)

1003429_10201238480114614_1228852734_n.jpg
1012747_10201238477714554_1890198611_n.jpg
21360_10201238478594576_2015434065_n.jpg
1017586_10201238478954585_92599282_n.jpg
998122_10201238478074563_1626023021_n.jpg
1010034_10201238477434547_613790189_n.jpg
1003880_10201238479714604_1216480868_n.jpg
1002239_10201238478234567_14790505_n.jpg

My final mod i want to do is change the frame for a light carbon one. I do a lot of bashing about so do you guys have any reasonably priced, great quality frames which would suit my needs :D Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Domains? Why?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    cooldad wrote:
    Domains? Why?

Think that must be the question on everyones mind
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There's some odd shizzle going on there. Those forks are far too long for that frame. Not long before you'll die.
  • ...cant....not...comment....

You want a light carbon frame, but yet you have 'upgraded' your bike with dual crown domains. These are very inappropriate. And heavy. Heavily inappropriate. This does not make sense.

None of this makes sense.

Possibly the only bike on the planet with these forks but yet also a kickstand.

Unique is a word.
  • cooldad
    And 203mm rotors (they are rotors) both ends.
    I do like the fact that the saddle has a built in toilet though - very handy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yeah but the bike has gold bling so it must be super awesomes!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Get a carbon 456 frame from On-One, then your forks will weigh well over twice the weight of the frame!...should make for some interesting descents... :shock:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    As I've always said, each to their own.

Seems like you have thrown a fair bit of cash at that bike, just on all the wrong things?!
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • brucie45
    P.S. I hope you are ready for some stick on this forum!! :lol:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    brucie45 wrote:
    As I've always said, each to their own.!

Its not a matter of personal opinion. He has put forks that are almost twice what is the recommended length for that frame. It is dangerous as he will be putting loads the frame is not designed for and the geometry will be totally out of whack.
  • pesky_jones
    I like the balls hanging out the headtube in the second pic
  • brucie45
    jairaj wrote:
    brucie45 wrote:

Its not a matter of personal opinion. He has put forks that are almost twice what is the recommended length for that frame. It is dangerous as he will be putting loads the frame is not designed for and the geometry will be totally out of whack.

Yeah and that is perfectly acceptable in his opinion, not mine, not yours and not many others. Hence the each to their own comment :)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I have no words.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    brucie45 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    brucie45 wrote:

Yeah and that is perfectly acceptable in his opinion, not mine, not yours and not many others. Hence the each to their own comment :)

If he put a large spike on it instead of a seat would you make the same comment?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • brucie45
    brucie45 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    brucie45 wrote:

If he put a large spike on it instead of a seat would you make the same comment?

No, I think the poor chap would be dead by now if he had been riding a bike with a large spike as a seat, not putting posts on this forum. I do have to say, you have some very strange thoughts....... each to their own!!
  • pesky_jones
    brucie45 wrote:
    brucie45 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    brucie45 wrote:

No, I think the poor chap would be dead by now if he had been riding a bike with a large spike as a seat, not putting posts on this forum. I do have to say, you have some very strange thoughts....... each to their own!!

Almost like like he could be dead by putting nearly twice the recommended length fork on?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    it's the 200mm Domains, the mudguards (2 sets), Dual Control AND the bar ends that get's me...and then we get to the kickstand...

Mind you if you ve got 200mm forks on a frame designed for 100mm, I suppose you need something to help you keep the front wheel on the floor
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pesky_jones
    ddraver wrote:
    I suppose you need something to help you keep the front wheel on the floor

No - that's why he's got the heavy domains, in a wierd an farked up catch 22 type of way
  • brucie45
    brucie45 wrote:
    brucie45 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    brucie45 wrote:

Almost like like he could be dead by putting nearly twice the recommended length fork on?

Yes almost the same. Again, that his choice, not mine. He loves his bike, I love mine, thats each to our own bikes. Having said that I completely aggree with you all, the bike is dangerous lol.
  • cooldad
    And after all that welcome to the forum.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DannyNolan
    Ok, wasn't expecting this welcome :lol: I can deal with stick. The kick stand is for work as there's pretty much nothing to prop it up with at work without someone knocking it over. My taste is very weird/unique, but I like it :) I would like to keep the forks as I do a lot of down hill when not riding to work, so what would be the best hardtail frame for these shocks
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    One that can handle the a to c and 200mm travel
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am lost for words - the fork? the stand? the dual control? I didn't even know there was such a thing as saint dual control?! I am drawn to comment on the 1.8 tyre on a MTX 33 rim mounted to a Domain but then I notice that this DH rig has bar ends and lovely commuter style mud guards!

It is the ungodly offspring of a DH bike and a brompton, the genetic equivelant of trying to mate a bull and a labradoddle - shouldnt be allowed to happen and definitely shouldn't be allowed to live.

Fetch me my shotgun.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I prefer a bike with less of a threat of impending doom.

But hey, your face not mine.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    DannyNolan wrote:
    Ok, wasn't expecting this welcome :lol: I can deal with stick. The kick stand is for work as there's pretty much nothing to prop it up with at work without someone knocking it over. My taste is very weird/unique, but I like it :) I would like to keep the forks as I do a lot of down hill when not riding to work, so what would be the best hardtail frame for these shocks

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you haven't got the faintest what 'downhill' actually means in mountain biking terms.

Just because you 'like' it, doesn't mean it's sensible, or safe, for that matter and the fact that you don't seem to realise the inherent danger in what you've done.....

Facepalm_-_-.jpg
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • cooldad
    I think it needs locking dustcaps.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I only have 180mm on my dh bike!!!

I had to stop myself posting on the antur stiniog fb page the other day when a guy asked if his gt avalanche with 180mm triple clamp forks would be ok for there?!?

He's not a friend of yours is he op? :lol:
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    What, no bottle cage?
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Maro wrote:
    What, no bottle cage?

Don't be silly. Why would you add extra weight just got the sake if it?
  • DannyNolan
    So.... Any better feedback on what frame to consider? The mud guards are there as I use this to commute