Hello

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Descending.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Descending.

hahaha...I'm gonna go a do a day of descending tomorrow. I'll be on a DH bike and I'll be riding lift accessed DH trails..but personally I'll be descending all day!

I think you'll find I'll actually be riding Downhill, there'll be some north shore bits and some peddly bits but mainly there'll be a shit load of rocks, drops, gaps and jumps and I'll be going fast until I get to the bottom and then I'll get the lift back up again...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Going down?...
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Descending.

hahaha...I'm gonna go a do a day of descending tomorrow. I'll be on a DH bike and I'll be riding lift accessed DH trails..but personally I'll be descending all day!

I think you'll find I'll actually be riding Downhill, there'll be some north shore bits and some peddly bits but mainly there'll be a shoot load of rocks, drops, gaps and jumps and I'll be going fast until I get to the bottom and then I'll get the lift back up again...
    Sounds like freeriding then.
  • felix.london
    Only cos I choose to go through the bike park...it's nicer in there. Less rocks...but more trees :?

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Only cos I choose to go through the bike park...it's nicer in there. Less rocks...but more trees :?
    Are you timing yourself, trying to beat your time, squeezing every last split second out of your run?
    No?
    Then you're freeriding.

You ski as well, don't you? (if I recall correctly). Which means you've probably gone down some Olympic, or world cup runs. But you weren't "downhill skiing", were you, just... skiing?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Welcome to pedants corner, please pull up a chair.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Welcome to pedants corner, please pull up a chair.

One of the ones from the OP's picture?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Are you timing yourself, trying to beat your time, squeezing every last split second out of your run?
    No?
    Then you're freeriding.

You ski as well, don't you? (if I recall correctly). Which means you've probably gone down some Olympic, or world cup runs. But you weren't "downhill skiing", were you, just... skiing?

I think you are confusing Downhill Racing with Downhill Riding - surely Fort Bill is a track open to the public when it is not being used for racing - so if I go and ride as fast as I can down it on my bike I am freeriding but if I stick a number on my bars and get someone to hold a stop watch it becomes downhill?

We race in the bike park as they do in Whistler and many other bike parks in BC - does that mean at certain points a trail in the bike park becomes a downhill track but the rest of the time its a freeride track?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No?
    Then you're freeriding.

I think you are confusing Downhill Racing with Downhill Riding - surely Fort Bill is a track open to the public when it is not being used for racing - so if I go and ride as fast as I can down it on my bike I am freeriding but if I stick a number on my bars and get someone to hold a stop watch it becomes downhill?

We race in the bike park as they do in Whistler and many other bike parks in BC - does that mean at certain points a trail in the bike park becomes a downhill track but the rest of the time its a freeride track?
    If it's racing, it's DH. otherwise, it's freeriding.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    With all due respect to your obviously huge brain and encyclopaedic knowledge of useless information, wrinkly hairy dangly things. (It won't let me write bollocks).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    No?
    Then you're freeriding.

To be fair usually you're the one who by this point is shouting stuff like "it's not any of those names, it's just mountain biking".
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ok, in that case "it's just mountain biking".
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    A new verb: to downhill

I'm going to downhill later.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I don't knowvwhat all the fuss is about. The bike looks great. It's just missing some of them aero tri-bars to make it the complete all-rounder. And a wicker basket on the front
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I don't knowvwhat all the fuss is about. The bike looks great. It's just missing some of them aero tri-bars to make it the complete all-rounder. And a wicker basket on the front

did he have a bell, I can't remember?
  • felix.london
    No?
    Then you're freeriding.

You cannot make a direct comparison to skiing. People have been skiing since time begun...

If I take my snowboard on the boarderX track in the winter - then while I'm going down the track I'm riding boarderX the same as if I take my mountain bike (any mountain bike) to a purpose built DH trail then I'm obviously riding DH. The same as if I take my DH bike (again, or any bike) to the dirt jumps up the road then I'm riding dirt jumps. Same with 4X or the Olympic XC courses. A purpose built track/trail that has been designed for a certain discipline of the sport...nothing to do with stop watches or numbers!

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You reckon you can ride 4x by yourself, or that if you're riding an Olympic XC course, that you're riding Olympic XC?
    interesting.
    See, I don't think you're riding boardercross if you're just going down the course. What you're doing, is snowboarding down a BX course.
    Race someone down it, now it's BX.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I think you are confusing Downhill Racing with Downhill Riding
    +1

popcorn-yes_zps45e641cc.gif
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You reckon you can ride 4x by yourself, or that if you're riding an Olympic XC course, that you're riding Olympic XC?
    interesting.
    See, I don't think you're riding boardercross if you're just going down the course. What you're doing, is snowboarding down a BX course.

What if you're 'racing' Strava in loops against your own times - what's it then?
  • felix.london
    interesting.

What if you're 'racing' Strava in loops against your own times - what's it then?

erm..duh...Enduro obviously :lol:

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    interesting.

What the fukk am I now, the arbiter of all knowledge? :lol:
    I dunno, I'm just saying that, unless it's racing, it's not DH.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    no its riding DownHill.. riding Down a Hill.. its not DownHill racing i will agree to that.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sorry, missed a word. I'm racing against my own Strava down a hill which is of the ilk of Fort Bill - that's DH
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Sorry, missed a word. I'm racing against my own Strava down a hill which is of the ilk of Fort Bill - that's DH
    that, I'd consider to be, to all intents and purposes, racing, since you're trying to beat a time.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    What the fukk am I now, the arbiter of all knowledge? :lol:
    Nope, far from it , just asking you a pretty simple question:

If your're “racing” yourself down a DH track (using strava), riding a DH bike doing DH stuff would you call it DH riding?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Its the "doing DH stuff" I take issue with. Otherwise, see above.
  • cooldad
    I quite fancy starting DH stuff - would this be suitable? And do I have to use Strava as my phone cable isn't very long?
    DannyNolan wrote:
    1003429_10201238480114614_1228852734_n.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, it has to be a landline, I'm afraid. Use a stopwatch, and call the operator every 100 yards with an update on your position and time.
  • cooldad
    I have a suspicion you are taking the p1ss.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools