The Commuters Tour of France Thread - Spoilers

123457»

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Because the art of sprinting is specific to a particular skill I would make it such that points are weighted towards the fastest sprinter, i.e. the guy who crosses the finish line, on designated sprint stages, first.

So how would you pitch this competition, with no action for most of the last 10 days or so to PMU?

It really isn't that hard to comprehend.

Take the most recent tour. Have the same flat stages where the sprinters can battle for points to win their 'sprinters' jersey and still keep the intermediate stage points for those contesting the green jersey.

So an additional jersey, and no the points are not interchangable.
    Bear in mind that some hilly stages end up contested by sprints when the field comes together close to the finish; whether this happens depends on whether the teams fielding sprinters are able to chase down the climbers who got away earlier in the stage. In many ways these can be the most exciting stages; the suspense isn't merely which of the sprinters will win, or which of the climbers, but whether the climbers can stay away for long enough or whether the sprinters' teams can make the catch. Are you going to decide in advance which stages count as "flat", or will you wait to see whether the stage is actually contested by sprinters, and award points for the DDD jersey on that basis? If you don't believe me, look back to some of the hilly stages Cav won in the HTC days, or the Olympic RR which everyone expected to come down to a bunch sprint.

I wouldn't say sprinting is a specific skillset either; most stages where a break stays away are still decided by a sprint within that break, you even see occasional match sprints at the top of big climbs, so it's a skill that all riders will have and work on, to a greater or lesser extent.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    Come to think of it, should we also have a special DDD climbers jersey, with points awarded only on pure climbing stages (as opposed to those that also have flat bits)? And maybe special DDD yellow/white jerseys based on the aggregate times for certain specific stages.

Here's what you can do: When the route is announced this Autumn, spend a bit of time looking at the parcours for each stage and determine your own scoring system based on whatever factors you think appropriate; create as many jerseys as you like. When the race is on, you can have lots of fun working out the points for each stage, and create your own leaderboard for each jersey. If Cav doesn't win any of them, you can even go back and massage the scoring system to fix that. Problem solved :D
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Surely Kittel is the best sprinter...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    rubertoe wrote:

He is. But don't call him Shirley.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tgotb
    rubertoe wrote:
    You're right. Reason I mentioned Cav was that I'd got it into my head that DDD thought he should have won, but on reviewing the thread I see no evidence for that. Apols to Kittel, Cav and DDD for that one...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Never got around to saying what a fantastic TdF it was. It had all the drama and pure racing you could wish for and the right man won. Slight shame about Cav, but maybe it will be good for him to have real competition at last. And if OPQ do sign Renshaw there could be some pretty exciting sprints next season.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    A quiet day at work so I have worked it out.

Being generous to the winners, lets say 20 for 1st, 10 for 2nd, 5 for 3rd, 2 for 4th and 1 for 5th.

The results are:-

1st Equal - Froome with 85 points. Froome wins with lowest overall time being the decider.
    1st Equal - Kittel, 85 points.
    3rd - Sagan with 74 points.
    4th - Cavendish with 72 points.
    5th - Griepel with 42 points.

Happy?

Or maybe you would teak it to suit.

For the record (as I read it), Froome & Kittel both had 4 wins and a third. Sagan had 1 win, 4 seconds, 2 thirds and 2 fourths. Cav had 2 wins, 1 second, 2 thirds and a fourth.

Note:- I only selected the obvious riders, someone else may have sneaked in there.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tgotb
    Not sure you can use the results to predict what would happen with a different scoring system though. I very much got the impression Sagan worked out what he needed to do to win Green. If you took out the intermediate points, he'd have raced differently and possibly scored higher in some of the finishes. Contrast with Cav who looked like he was putting less effort into the intermediate sprints in order to save himself for the finishes; different goals, different strategy.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    Froome had 3 wins
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:
    Froome had 3 wins
    :oops:
    Too much clicking back and forth. Knew this was coming.....

Someone else can have a go. :wink:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Should points be awarded for difficulty, execution and artistic interpretation? Would that make the points jersey more interesting. I think so, and it would make Sagan's win less contentious.
  • daviesee
    Anyway......
    It is what it is, and has been for decades.
    Right up until DDD takes an interest. :wink:

I never heard any of the sprinters complaining about Sagan getting the jersey.
  • tgotb
    Just wait until DDD discovers the track omnium :wink:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    TGOTB wrote:
    Just wait until DDD discovers the track omnium :wink:

How can you get the least amount of points for finishing first..... :)

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm sure you were all glued to the (awesome imo) GCN coverage of the Tour De France, but in case you weren't, heres a pretty good recap show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-mV2XSk-n8