The Commuters Tour of France Thread - Spoilers

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Froome is immense, I really like the guy. Need to see some Contador, though.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Froome is immense, I really like the guy. Need to see some Contador, though.

This Contador seems to be, not as good as the steak eating Contador.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    Sadly I can't argue that.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Any amendments to make to those statements? That's a fair chunk of time to put in on a flat stage.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Any amendments to make to those statements? That's a fair chunk of time to put in on a flat stage.
    Today's gain was down to good tactics rather than strong riding. That's all about experience, racecraft and teamwork, rather than choosing the right butcher...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    TGOTB wrote:
    Any amendments to make to those statements? That's a fair chunk of time to put in on a flat stage.
    Today's gain was down to good tactics rather than strong riding. That's all about experience, racecraft and teamwork, rather than choosing the right butcher...
    I understand the value of teamwork but Froome sat up looking for teammates as the break started.
    He could have stayed with them with a little effort. Cav managed it.
    A lack of nouse?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    daviesee wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    I understand the value of teamwork but Froome sat up looking for teammates as the break started.
    A lack of nouse?

I think to be fair he was just too far back, Froome that is, Cav only just made it from what he said.
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    A lack of nouse?

I think to be fair he was just too far back, Froome that is, Cav only just made it from what he said.
    As I remember it, Froome was on Cav's wheel when Saxo made the break. When Cav made the jump, Froome sat up.
    I could be wrong. It happens. :wink:

Anyway, big day tomorrow! :P
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    daviesee wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    A lack of nouse?

As I remember it, Froome was on Cav's wheel when Saxo made the break. When Cav made the jump, Froome sat up.
    I could be wrong. It happens. :wink:

Anyway, big day tomorrow! :P

Didn't Froome say in a post race interview that he didn't have the legs to hang on to Cav and that trying would cause damage that would be carried into the weekend?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I thought the only reason Cav got across is because he is a sprinter. Didn't he say he had a team mate trying to pull him across and when he realised the team mate was slowing and they wouldn't make it he told him to move left and Cav sprinted across the gap.
  • jonny_trousers
    PS. It was so nice to see how excited Cav was at his victory. I've only been following pro cycling for about 3 years, but, to me, he always comes across as being deferential, respectful and utterly impassioned. I've honestly never seen that spoilt brat thing we're forever hearing about.
  • daviesee
    Didn't Froome say in a post race interview that he didn't have the legs to hang on to Cav and that trying would cause damage that would be carried into the weekend?
    A fine and acceptable answer. I haven't had the time to watch post race analysis or interviews so didn't hear this.
    Looked pathetic from the armchair but I'll look pathetic from his saddle. :wink:
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Well done Froome! Exciting last minutes!
  • jonny_trousers
    Whoa! :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • daviesee
    Just shows he knew what he was doing by saving his legs on Friday for today. :oops:

:P :shock: :P 8)
  • Well, Froome hasn't lost any time today.

I wonder if he can hang onto KotM until Paris ...
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    suzyb wrote:
    I thought the only reason Cav got across is because he is a sprinter. Didn't he say he had a team mate trying to pull him across and when he realised the team mate was slowing and they wouldn't make it he told him to move left and Cav sprinted across the gap.

Bit late but yeah, he said he put out more watts jumping on the break than he did in the sprint at the finish of the stage!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • jonny_trousers
    While there's inevitably all this talk about Chris Froome and doping, why has no one questioned Nairo Quintana being in the white jersey? He looks about 70!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    While there's inevitably all this talk about Chris Froome and doping, why has no one questioned Nairo Quintana being in the white jersey? He looks about 70!
    ...and he's from Columbia, famous for it's...coffee...exports!
  • daviesee
    Wearing the Yellow Jersey with style! :P

That's how to celebrate getting a new contract.
  • jonny_trousers
    daviesee wrote:
    Wearing the Yellow Jersey with style! :P

That's how to celebrate getting a new contract.

And he was saving himself for the days to come :shock:
  • kelsen
    Failing to attend a press conference - €800
    Ingesting some out-of-date beef - €undisclosed
    The look on your face as Froome snatches the stage win from under your nose - Priceless!
  • DonDaddyD
    Hang on, can you just up and switch bikes like that? OK, yes, you can change bikes if you have a mechanical to virtually the same bike, but to switch from a roadbike with ttosser bars to a full on ttosser bike [Greg] mid race - for the uber fast section - doesn't seem right to me.

What if Contador does the same thing during a fast flat section of a next stage and then switches to a road bike specced to help him get up a hill?
    Food Chain number = 4

• kelsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hang on, can you just up and switch bikes like that? OK, yes, you can change bikes if you have a mechanical to virtually the same bike, but to switch from a roadbike with ttosser bars to a full on ttosser bike [Greg] mid race - for the uber fast section - doesn't seem right to me.

What if Contador does the same thing during a fast flat section of a next stage and then switches to a road bike specced to help him get up a hill?
    You're right! Froome, that cheating bastard!
  • jonny_trousers
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're right! Froome, that cheating bastard!

And the way he tricked every other team apart from Saxo Tinkoff into doing the same thing!

220px-Dickdastardly.gif
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Then the following will really mess with your melon...

For tomorrow's descent of the Sarenne, they're switching to mtbs. Some of them are considering crossers, while some are looking at full sussers to allow them to bunny hop the water drainage channels towards the top of the descent.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    Are they going to change shoes too, or commit the cardinal sin of putting SPDs on a road bike (or road pedals on a crosser)?

DDD - they can't do the same bike swap in a road stage; TT bikes are only legal for TT stages/races.

I can't be bothered to look it up, but I suggested doing the opposite on this forum a year or two ago; starting TT on a TT bike and then switching to road bike for the big climb at the end. At the time everyone thought I was nuts...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    TGOTB wrote:
    Are they going to change shoes too, or commit the cardinal sin of putting SPDs on a road bike (or road pedals on a crosser)?

DDD - they can't do the same bike swap in a road stage; TT bikes are only legal for TT stages/races.

I can't be bothered to look it up, but I suggested doing the opposite on this forum a year or two ago; starting TT on a TT bike and then switching to road bike for the big climb at the end. At the time everyone thought I was nuts...

If that was the Richmond Park time trial then definitely overkill!
  • tgotb
    BigMat wrote:
    If that was the Richmond Park time trial then definitely overkill!
    LOL - no, I think this was another Tour one. Long flattish stage with a big climb at the end. Of course these bike swaps could have been a lot quicker before the "mechanical doping" rule changes...

I believe some people doing 12hr and 24hr TTs do the odd lap or two on a road bike, just for a change of a position...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Oooh. Talk on INRNG (via Grauniad liveblog) of Bertie changing bike, and muttering that it's because the one he was riding wouldn't meet the weight check at the end of the stage. Proving difficult to work and follow the stage.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition