The Commuters Tour of France Thread - Spoilers

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Well its nearly here and we dont have a thread.

Sky annonced their line up today so it seems like a good time to start the thread...

I for one cannot wait and am looking forward to another British dominated tour..
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Me too. I think I'll have to arrange a couple of Canary Wharf meetings once the TdF Fans village gets going
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I'm glad to see that the "tradition" of ballsing up the grammar and wording in these threads is alive and well.

I just need to pop out to have my aneurysm fixed.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I'm glad to see that the "tradition" of ballsing up the grammar and wording in these threads is alive and well.

I just need to pop out to have my aneurysm fixed.

Thought you'd have learned to avoid the internet by now.. :lol:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rubertoe
    The "the" was a mistake, now corrected.

The "of" in "Tour of France" was deliberate
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Canary Wharf people, Rob Hayes is heading there to dedicate his book "Easy Rider: My Life on a Bike" now.
    I just wandered into a bookshop in the city and got a copy of it where he mentioned his next station.
    Had a quick look into the book and it's OK at first and probably worth to have a signed copy.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rubertoe wrote:

You misspellded 'communters' too
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    rubertoe wrote:

So we're not bothering with the (no doubt) unfashionable apostrophe after "Commuters". Good, good, carry on.

Damn. Seems my nose is bleeding again. Oh, it's not my nose. It's my eyes. And my ears. Please, do excuse me...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:

Sky annonced their line up today so it seems like a good time to start the thread...

I for one cannot wait and am looking forward to another British dominated tour..

What's annonced?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    rubertoe wrote:

What's annonced?

Chris Froome + 8 other blokes?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rubertoe
    It's like announced...

IGMC

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    rubertoe wrote:

What's annonced?
    Some people that met Stuart Hall were probably annonced. Same can't be said of Jimmy Saville's victims as he didn't do time.
  • rubertoe
    Starts in a few days.

Cav should hopefully be in yellow for the first few days.

Starting to get excited.

it was the 2009 tour that got me in to cycling

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Contador, the greatest rider of his generation, will win this Tour.

It hurts me to say it because I'm a real Chris 'vroom vroom' Froome fan, but Contador will win (its like Vettel and Hamilton, I want Hamilton to win, I really do, but Vettel will beat him).

However, should 'ol' vroom vroom' win I'll be properly chuffed and riding my bike extra quickly in happiness and excitement.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Froome will look good all the time going then one day bertie will dance away from him taking 1:30 out of him and that will be that. Personally, I think a better battle will be Sagan vs Cav given they'll be fighting for the same jersey in slightly different ways.

I had little interest on my suggestions of a Velogames league on here the other day.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    it's not gonna be contador, hasn't shown the form this year and his time trialling isn't as good as it was - the other really inform rider this year is Nibali and he's focusing on Giro/vuelta

Froome has pole position
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    edhornby wrote:
    it's not gonna be contador, hasn't shown the form this year and his time trialling isn't as good as it was - the other really inform rider this year is Nibali and he's focusing on Giro/vuelta

Froome has pole position
    This. Provided he stays upright. Wiggins in 2011 anyone? Its a shame that Froome an Nibali have targetted different grand tours this year as with their performances in the Tireno, it would have been a great battle.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Froome looks nailed on. Only chance of an upset will be if a lot of pure climbers go renegade in the mountains - Contador, J Rod, Quintana, Costa, maybe even the French (Pinot, Rolland). If they can somehow break Sky's stranglehold - perhaps by attacking on early climbs, or on intermediate mountain stages, it could still be interesting.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Yep. I agree, it's Froome's to lose really. Bertie hasn't shown any form so far. GC probably won't be the most interesting battle.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Yep. I agree, it's Froome's to lose really. Bertie hasn't shown any form so far. GC probably won't be the most interesting battle.

What worries me, though, is how nervous Froome sounds about it all. He's not exactly exuding confidence about being the leader of the team, and I wonder if he's going to blow it. I also think that Bertie will be a lot closer to his best than people think.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I've got a few quid on Quintana and Cuddles, just for $#!+$ and giggles.

Froome looks nailed on for me but, if just a fraction of the chaos that befell the Giro strikes the Tour, the odds being offered on his opposition look ridiculously long.
  • rubertoe
    vermin wrote:

Froome looks nailed on for me but, if just a fraction of the chaos that befell the Giro strikes the Tour, the odds being offered on his opposition look ridiculously long.

What price did you get on Quintana? I think he might be a good e/w bet.

• vermin
    rubertoe wrote:
    vermin wrote:

What price did you get on Quintana? I think he might be a good e/w bet.

I think it was about 40-1, but that was a few weeks ago.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Dammit. I got 28/1 back on 11 May. Defo a good e/w punt I reckon.
  • vermin

Probably, but I went on the nose.
  • il_principe
    vermin wrote:

Ooof. He's too young. Average age of winners is 27.7. Not been won by anyone under 23 since Fignon... He's also supposed to be supporting Valverde.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    vermin wrote:

Of the same opinion. On paper Froome (4/5) looks firm favorite, but doesn't take much for that to go wrong. Contador (3/1) looks poor odds on what he's shown recently.

Then it becomes wide open.
    JRod 28
    Porte 28
    Quintana 33
    Evans 40
    TvG 40
    Valv 48
    Schleck and Dan Martin 100+
    Ryder, Rolland, VdB, Talanskey 300+

Got to be some 'value' interest bets there.
    exercise.png
  • il_principe
    Porte worth an E/W as well I think.
  • il_principe
    TheStone wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Of the same opinion. On paper Froome (4/5) looks firm favorite, but doesn't take much for that to go wrong. Contador (3/1) looks poor odds on what he's shown recently.

Then it becomes wide open.
    JRod 28
    Porte 28
    Quintana 33
    Evans 40
    TvG 40
    Valv 48
    Schleck and Dan Martin 100+
    Ryder, Rolland, VdB, Talanskey 300+

Got to be some 'value' interest bets there.

Where are you getting those odds BTW, some good ones in there!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Where are you getting those odds BTW, some good ones in there!

Betfair, so win only and trim 5% or so charges off.

I've got a horrible feeling Valverde might be the value bet.
    exercise.png
  • vermin
    vermin wrote:

Ooof. He's too young. Average age of winners is 27.7. Not been won by anyone under 23 since Fignon... He's also supposed to be supporting Valverde.

All true, but his Basque ride was good and he'll have fresh legs. I reckon he might have the edge in the ITTs and he's unlikely to get dropped on the Alpe or the Semnoz, so there's a good enough chance to merit a couple of quid at 40s. Anyway, who wouldn't like to see him do a job on Valverde?

EDIT: Having said that, 48s on Valverde is unmissable. Unless he gets caught again.