The Commuters Tour of France Thread - Spoilers

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Will be interesting to see how Porte recovers. He seemed to get caught cold and then gave far too much trying to catch back up to the yellow jersey group. Once he finally blew up, it was always going to be a big gap. If he had ridden sensibly, he probably would have only finished a few minutes down but he is there to support Froome so fair play for giving it his all to try and get back up there. Sky were unlucky that little Pete fell off early on as well, he would probably have stepped into Porte's role normally (or even G, if he hadn't broken his pelvis - they aren't having much luck are they!)

Sky probably just grateful Quintana shot his load on Saturday and gave away a couple of minutes, Froome looks comfortably stronger than anyone else at the moment although there is a long way to go still.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This is what the Tour looks like when people are clean.

Funny thing is no one really knows what clean cycling looks like.

I reckon it looks exactly liked doped riding only a bit slower.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Personally I thought that Froome went too early to claim the yellow jersey.

What else would he do when every other GC contender had blown?

You lick your opponent's plate clean before you start your own.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384

I reckon it looks exactly liked doped riding only a bit slower.

Not necessarily. The biggest advantage to all of the drug taking comes from recovery . It can mean huge individual efforts day in day out, more of the super human displays. And not just a faster average speed.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • lockstock666
    lockstock666 Posts: 131
    Does anyone else find the spectators on the steep climbs a little bit irritating? Waving flags in the way and being in the middle of the road, parting as the rider comes close.

I wonder if the riders get a boost from the in-your-face cheering and waving or whether they are thinking "get the fark out the way you steaming pile of baboon jizz" or words to that effect?

I guess they must be used to it. Maybe it looks worse on TV.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Does anyone else find the spectators on the steep climbs a little bit irritating? Waving flags in the way and being in the middle of the road, parting as the rider comes close.

I wonder if the riders get a boost from the in-your-face cheering and waving or whether they are thinking "get the fark out the way you steaming pile of baboon jizz" or words to that effect?

I guess they must be used to it. Maybe it looks worse on TV.
    They may like it when some push them up the hill.
    On the other hand, a punch to the kidney may not be appreciated.

Yes. These things have happened.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The ones that run alongside freak me out. I'm always waiting for them to trip and fall into the riders.
  • I remember one of the pro's telling a story about an occaision when the crowd had parted before him to reveal a surprised old man in a wheel chair sat in the middle of the road that the rest of them had forgotten to pull back when they stepped out of the way.

Its part of the tour and sometimes it goes badly wrong for spectators and riders.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Smashing the tour, smashing the tennis. We're the new Spain.

I like what you did there.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    May have been posted already, but if not it is worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAl1-mBhFpU

ORICA GreenEdge AC/DC tribute. Check the guy measuring the bus halfway through....
  • daviesee
    Looks to me like Cav and the rest of the sprinters have conceded the Green Jersey already. :(
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    daviesee wrote:
    Looks to me like Cav and the rest of the sprinters have conceded the Green Jersey already. :(

Why is that? They are still contesting the intermediates aren't they? In reality Sagan has it sewn up, but then with almost 2 weeks to go its worth fighting on - he might get sick, crash, miss cut off etc. I reckon Cav will struggle to beat Greipel though, today's stage looks set for a power sprint - Greipel v Kittel. I'm hoping Cav can sneak on to one of their wheels and nick it though.
  • daviesee
    BigMat wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Why is that? They are still contesting the intermediates aren't they? In reality Sagan has it sewn up, but then with almost 2 weeks to go its worth fighting on - he might get sick, crash, miss cut off etc. I reckon Cav will struggle to beat Greipel though, today's stage looks set for a power sprint - Greipel v Kittel. I'm hoping Cav can sneak on to one of their wheels and nick it though.
    Competing for one point lower down the rankings isn't going to do any good, winning the intermediates where there is a bigger spread would help. Winning the remaining sprinters stages won't be enough with Sagan picking up points along the way. Every point would have to be competed for to take the Green Jersey off him and that is just not happening. It is all over barring injury or illness at which point the race would resume. It is only an opinion though. :wink:
    Enjoy the Stage wins! :P
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    So after all that moaning while at Sky, it turns out Cavendish was better off there after all.. So far..
  • tailwindhome
    So after all that moaning while at Sky, it turns out Cavendish was better off there after all.. So far..

How so?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm not sure Cav was better off at Sky, in his current situation he actually has a team built round him, which he was never going to get at Sky.

In fact I'm of the thought Sky signed him mostly because he had the World Champion jersey at the time.

Personally I think Sagan has done what Thor Hushold did a few years back (Cav's second tour) where he picked up points all over the place and not just stage win sprints - this website determined that Cav was the faster of the two, but Thor was the better (all)round rider, same with Sagan.

That said, I do think the sprinters jersey and points distribution should be weighted in such a way that the fastest sprinter wins the jersey. I await someone to point out that its a points jersey normally contested by sprinters...

Argos rider who attempted to block Cab should be thrown off the tour. Premeditated that, and it could have been much dangerous.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • suzyb
    Not seen yesterday's highlights yet. But isn't that the second time another team has tried to slow down Cav. Looked to me like one of the Lotto riders tried to block OPQ's train in the stage Cav won.
  • daviesee
    Track riders would be asking - What's the fuss about? :lol:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Hugely looking forward to stage 20 now. If the stage is ridden hard, then you will see grown men cry on the Semnoz. It's brutal.
  • pitchshifter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm not sure Cav was better off at Sky, in his current situation he actually has a team built round him, which he was never going to get at Sky.

Well considering the whole team is built around him he's no better off this year than last. Only had one stage at this time last year. Obviously he wasn't going to fit into Sky with their GC ambitions but I was expecting a bit more from OPQS this tour, its like they can't be a*sed.. They were all over the shop yesterday.

Perhaps I am just reminiscing the dominance of the HTC days..
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Well considering the whole team is built around him he's no better off this year than last. Only had one stage at this time last year. Obviously he wasn't going to fit into Sky with their GC ambitions but I was expecting a bit more from OPQS this tour, its like they can't be a*sed.. They were all over the shop yesterday.
    He is better off in that he is actually contesting sprints or in a position to contest sprints. Cav did three things during last year's tour:

1. Won a really well fought stage win, grabing onto the wheel of another rider because he was isolated.
    2. Fetching water bottles and food for Froome and Wiggins.
    3. Asking the team "please, help him to contest for a stage win", which to Wiggins credit he really did help.

Honestly Cav was a wasted resource and sorry sight at Sky.
    Perhaps I am just reminiscing the dominance of the HTC days..

Yep, but I think HTC has spoiled him a tad, other points jersey contenders manage to get buy often with just one lead out man. Sagan for example, where was his lead out train? Who is his Mark Renshaw?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I think it was a poor decision for Cav not to stick on Steegmans wheel but Gert did put in a solid accelleration so it could well be he was effectively dropped by the big Belgian.

If you look at the rubbishness of the OPQS train yesterday you can see they no way have the confidence or dominance of HTC. Back in 2011 HTC would have not let Argos or Lotto even have a look in from 2k out.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • pitchshifter
    Look where Cav is, with a carrot! From this photo, coming third was not a bad result given his position, what the hell is Chavanel(?) doing?

282-PIC382096235.jpg
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Rumour is Renshaw is going to OPQS next season. Looks like Mark is getting the old HTC team back together. Where is Bernie these days still at Sky?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DonDaddyD
    The HTC lead out train was a thing of beauty, I never understood why they didn't do that well at TTs - sure, different discipline, but some of the skills are transferable - surely?
    Food Chain number = 4

• suzyb
    Sketchley wrote:
    Rumour is Renshaw is going to OPQS next season. Looks like Mark is getting the old HTC team back together. Where is Bernie these days still at Sky?
    Yes. I'm sure I read somewhere he decided to stay at Sky to focus on the classics.
  • pitchshifter
    suzyb wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Yes. I'm sure I read somewhere he decided to stay at Sky to focus on the classics.

*cough*Money*Cough*

I read he was pretty bummed not to go to the tour. Contract is ending at the end of the season I think so he'll probably move then..
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    daviesee wrote:

Looks like Cav has a yellow jersey now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23251598
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • daviesee
    wandsworth wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Looks like Cav has a yellow jersey now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23251598
    Makes a change from people taking the pi$$. :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    Wouldn't underestimate the quality of KIttel, Greipel and their respective sprint trains either.

From memory he has 3 more chances at stage wins.
    daviesee wrote:

Someone said Sagan has more points at this stage than Cav won the whole of last year..

That competition is over.