the end for Wiggo ?

Comments

• mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mike6 wrote:
    Must admit the latest outpouring from Wiggins has got my back up. Not going to high altitude camps because he wants to see his son playing rugby?// WTF. Its his job. Most people have to work all there lives, 45 years at least working for the man to bring there kids up. Pro cyclists generally work for 10 to 15 years and in Wiggins case , at least, get extremely well paid for doing so. I dont think its asking too much for a sportsman to give it his all for that short time and then retire to count there money.
    I have been a big supporter of Brad but his attitude lately is not what I expect from a champion cyclist.
    Man up Brad and get on with your, very highly paid, job.

Actually, I agree with him there. I was deployed a lot when my daughter was very young and it is very hard being away from your family. It's worse for him (well, he didn't have people shooting at him I suppose, so perhaps not), because he could potentially be away training or racing for the majority of a 9 month period - that's a long time to miss out of your children's lives TBH. It doesn't matter what your views are on cycling, at the end of the day, family must always come first and if not then you have no business having one. Work to live not live to work; that's as true for Wiggins as it is for any of us.

Part of the family comes first ethos is providing for them. I had to work, at least 5 days a week to provide for mine, nights away etc, as we all probably do. His job is cycling. He has a massive contract with Sky that he should stick to. I would not be pleased If I was paying his big salary for him to refuse to go to raining camps cos he wanted to see his son playing rugby.
    If he had said after last years stellar season "I am packing it in to watch my son,etc" then fine, but he is taking the money and not doing the job. Not right.
    He gets well paid for doing a very difficult and time consuming job, but he knows that. He should still be giving 100% till his contract is up.
    As I said I have always supported him but this is not the way to finish a contract/career.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I have to agree with Mike6 on this, it is Brad's job. However, if his employer is prepared to let him have his way then that's their look out. If I was the sponsor shelling out his salary I might be on the phone to DB though.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Almost speculative 250 posts and still no sign of the end for Wiggo.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Holy Jesus, what an over-reaction. This is the final pre Giro camp where he wanted to base himself and train in Mallorca instead of Tenerife. it was the team who confirmed that he'd trained in Mallorca btw instead of Tenerife, just before the Giro. The way Mike's going on about this, you'd think Wiggins had been sitting in front of the telly, smoking fags, drinking tinnies and ranting like Father Jack.

Mallorca instead of Tenerife referred to here
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013 ... iro-italia

Besides, the team agreed to it as YP says. Ultimately their call.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,037

Haha! Reminds me of the epic 'Bye Bye Astana' thread back in 2009. They are still going quite happily.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    mike6 wrote:
    Part of the family comes first ethos is providing for them. I had to work, at least 5 days a week to provide for mine, nights away etc, as we all probably do. His job is cycling. He has a massive contract with Sky that he should stick to. I would not be pleased If I was paying his big salary for him to refuse to go to raining camps cos he wanted to see his son playing rugby.
    If he had said after last years stellar season "I am packing it in to watch my son,etc" then fine, but he is taking the money and not doing the job. Not right.
    He gets well paid for doing a very difficult and time consuming job, but he knows that. He should still be giving 100% till his contract is up.
    As I said I have always supported him but this is not the way to finish a contract/career.
    To be fair we know almost nothing about the conversation he has had with Team Sky management so this is all just speculation.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I completely agree daz, but this just made the BBC Breakfast news (which i surprising for me, but I suppose may be old news for non ex-pats)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    Daz555 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    To be fair we know almost nothing about the conversation he has had with Team Sky management so this is all just speculation.

That's fair enough, but a quote in Cycling Weekly has him stating that he did not go to the high altitude camps cos he wanted to be with his family. CW may be misquoting, but that is what is in there article.

As you say, If Sky are prepared to let him do what he likes and still cough up his salary, then good luck to him, but to paraphrase Eddy Merckx........... when you are a champion you have a duty to the fans.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Haha! Reminds me of the epic 'Bye Bye Astana' thread back in 2009. They are still going quite happily.

Apart from the bit were Wiggins says it's nearly over and he is unlikely to do the Tour again :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Interesting to think of the possible scenarios at play here based on some of the facts:

1) Crap Giro then Froome named leader for the Tour after Wiggins says he is all about the Tour.

2) Career year last year, including being at the top level for almost seven months.

Go on then.. please reveal to use some of the possible scenarios based on 'some facts'
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    mike6 wrote:
    As you say, If Sky are prepared to let him do what he likes and still cough up his salary, then good luck to him, but to paraphrase Eddy Merckx........... when you are a champion you have a duty to the fans.

Don't you mean when your a pro, you have a duty to your sponsors.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    All this speculation is daft! we don't know his employment status let alone the content of any contract he may or may not have.

Im still going for the beginning of the end option :)
  • All this speculation is daft! we don't know his employment status let alone the content of any contract he may or may not have.

Im still going for the beginning of the end option :)

He's apparently still got 18 months on his contract, so it'll be a long thread by then...
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It appears his demise has been greatly exaggerated.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14820 ... -team.aspx

DD.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Interesting to think of the possible scenarios at play here based on some of the facts:

1) Crap Giro then Froome named leader for the Tour after Wiggins says he is all about the Tour.

2) Career year last year, including being at the top level for almost seven months.

Go on then.. please reveal to use some of the possible scenarios based on 'some facts'

No need as I am sure you are bright enough to think of some. As a matter of fact I think your post and the use of quotes around the words "some facts" make it clear you have thought of some that don't please your genteel civilities.

P.S.- One only uses single quotation marks when the quoted bit is within a quotation.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551

Reading the article it sounds like someone got a bit of a talking to and is saying all of the right things to make amends.
  • mike6
    mike6 wrote:

Don't you mean when your a pro, you have a duty to your sponsors.

In Wiggins case, both.
  • tailwindhome
    Some people might say my life is in a rut,
    But I'm quite happy with what I got
    People might say that I should strive for more,
    But I'm so happy I can't see the point.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

No need as I am sure you are bright enough to think of some. As a matter of fact I think your post and the use of quotes around the words "some facts" make it clear you have thought of some that don't please your genteel civilities.

P.S.- One only uses single quotation marks when the quoted bit is within a quotation.

No I am genuinely really struggling to think of any so please enlighten me!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Some people might get some pleasure out of
    hate. Me, I've enough already on my plate. People might need some tension to relax. I'm too busy dodging between the flak. What you see is what you get.

You've made your bed, you better lie in it. You choose your leaders and place your trust. As their lies put you down and their promises rust. You'll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns. And the public wants what the public gets!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174

Aye, it's a terrible trait in a professional sportsman to want to win as many of the most significant races / titles as possible. He should be ashamed of his attitude.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It appears his demise has been greatly exaggerated.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14820 ... -team.aspx

DD.

OT There's plenty of Mark Twain in Bradley Wiggins. Next time there's nothing to talk about we would all love a cyclists as authors thread. Pairings for Jane Austen, Sammy Pepys, Irvine Welsh, Joan Collins, Doctor Seuss, Oscar Wilde being just some of my favourites.

Edit Jam and other rock and roll band lyrics qualify, obv.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The worst thing about the start of the Tour, is it heralds the likely demise of this thread. Think of the amateur psychology papers we've been denied by Bradley's withdrawal. Somebody needs to do an @VirtualWiggo feed for each stage.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    mike6 wrote:

To be honest, I wouldn't fancy going to a raining camp myself, sounds awful
  • mike6
    mike6 wrote:

To be honest, I wouldn't fancy going to a raining camp myself, sounds awful

Pedant alert.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He rides the Tour of Poland and the Tour of Britain.

BNR24NgCYAAUDFy.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    and Colorado I believe.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mike6
    Aye, just the mega events you want to see the current Tour and Olympic champion riding. Sky must be overjoyed.