the end for Wiggo ?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Just starting to read My Time and Wiggo at the moment seems to be in the same place he was in 2010. I never had him down as someone who got so down and stressed out by things, very different from what you generally see from him. The main difference this time is he has achieved his aim of a Tour win so hasn't got that spectre of being labelled a failure hanging over him and Sutton is no longer available for that one to one coaching role. Hopefully he'll get the spark back again once the disappointment of the season is behind him and will work towards a new goal either with or without Sky whether that's giving the Tour or Giro another crack, going for a World title, trying to win a Classic or taking the opportunity to concentrate on the hour record.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Daz555 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    I will say one thing in Brads defense. Most Yellow jersey winners are content to pootle around the final stage, safe in the team armchair. Wiggins ,in yellow, giving everything, leading out his team sprinter for the win on the Champs Elysee. Sheer class.
    One of my all time favourite British sporting moments. A Brit in the yellow jersey leading out a Brit in the rainbow jersey for the win on the Champs'. Awesome. 8)
    back in the nineties nobody would ever have even dreamed this ....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pross wrote:
    So the defending champ (national) doesn't wear the jersey on the day of the race?

Same with the Worlds.

I like the US Masters (golf) tradition of the previous champion passing the green jacket to the new champion.

Not sure it would work after a 250k classic though :lol:

It would be an improvement on the podium girl tradition though....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    so I was at a talk/interview thingy with Shane Sutton and David Walsh last night

Brad's Paris-Roubaix bound, according to Uncle Shane

Walsh reckons that if Froome falters at the Tour...bugger the business about sacrifices, Brad will be totally up for leading the team at next year's Tour

Neither think that Sky's Tour team are quite as strong as last year's. Both intimated that Froome had a big say in the selection, and gave preference to those he liked/trusted around him, over experience (ta ra Bernie and Knees)
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    so I was at a talk/interview thingy with Shane Sutton and David Walsh last night

Brad's Paris-Roubaix bound, according to Uncle Shane

Walsh reckons that if Froome falters at the Tour...bugger the business about sacrifices, Brad will be totally up for leading the team at next year's Tour

Neither think that Sky's Tour team are quite as strong as last year's. Both intimated that Froome had a big say in the selection, and gave preference to those he liked/trusted around him, over experience (ta ra Bernie and Knees)

At long last, something interesting and worth reading on this thread. Thank you.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I have skimmed the 16 pages and I have concluded the following...

Bradley is a complex character with a multi faceted personality.

Sky and SDB only deal with quantifiable measures and "being in a different mood" doesn't really compute.

Bradley has won the Tour and having failed at the Giro for a whole host of reasons is now looking to achieve some different objectives. They may or may not be as part of Team Sky.

I am comfortable with those outputs to be honest.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I have skimmed the 16 pages and I have concluded the following...

Bradley is a complex character with a multi faceted personality.

Sky and SDB only deal with quantifiable measures and "being in a different mood" doesn't really compute.

Bradley has won the Tour and having failed at the Giro for a whole host of reasons is now looking to achieve some different objectives. They may or may not be as part of Team Sky.

I am comfortable with those outputs to be honest.

This is very in keeping with your new postive attitude to the Tour... :)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    hahaha... Thanks for joining the monitoring party... any negative posts you can call me out on :)
  • 5nakey
    5nakey Posts: 16
    So what are the Forum God's thinking Wiggo's next move will be based on he way this Tour is unfolding?

It seems pretty inconcievable that Froome won't be top (Froome)dog at Sky now for the foreseeable future.

Hi btw, i'm a lurker :|
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    As long as this thread survives, Wiggo will live on on our hearts. :mrgreen:

Most people I speak to seem to think he'll want the Worlds ITT this season and then hit the classics next season.

..and of course he's a great Olympian. If he's fit then Rio will be a huge temptation for him I'd say.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I don't think much has been said about next year, outside of murmurings from Shane Sutton that Brad might like a go at Roubaix.

That's what I'd like to see. Maybe a go at the Vuelta at the end of the year if feasible.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I don't do twitter - but is he posting on it at all at the moment? Is he praising Froome's achievements? Is he going out on training rides or doing corporate speaking events?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    5nakey wrote:
    So what are the Forum God's thinking Wiggo's next move will be based on he way this Tour is unfolding?

It seems pretty inconcievable that Froome won't be top (Froome)dog at Sky now for the foreseeable future.

Hi btw, i'm a lurker :|

If I were him I'd look for another team - he may not find one willing to pay as well but plenty will want someone of his palmares and I think he has another couple of years at the top.

More likely he'll stay at Sky and accept he isn't going to be a leader in grand tours - become a poor mans Cancellera targetting classics and TTs and using his engine in the service of others in GTs.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Daz555
    I don't do twitter - but is he posting on it at all at the moment? Is he praising Froome's achievements? Is he going out on training rides or doing corporate speaking events?
    Wiggo deleted his twitter account a long time ago. His wife did the same.

It was shortly after he and his wife were getting grief from the twitterati following the middle finger he gave to reporters.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Well....... he has a huge engine, can climb and is a great TTer so the world is his lobster, when he is fit!!!!!!!!

What next Brad?
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    mike6 wrote:
    Well....... he has a huge engine, can climb and is a great TTer so the world is his lobster, when he can be ar5ed.

What next Brad?

FTFY ;)
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Im sure I read he said he wants a proper crack at the Tour of Britain this year

ToB runs from 15th September to 22nd September

Then the TT World Champs is 25 September, so presumably he could do both?

Alex Dowsett is having a great TT year, so would be good to see him have a go also.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Throwing the cat amongst the pigeons, is there a team out there that would suit Brad?

two spring to mind for me, both lacking in the GC somewhat:
    -OMPQS
    -Cannondale

Is a move likely?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    On_What wrote:
    Throwing the cat amongst the pigeons, is there a team out there that would suit Brad?

-OMPQS
    -Cannondale

Is a move likely?
    Orica?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    good call. would like to see this happen.

Strava is not Zen.
  • On_What
    RichN95 wrote:
    On_What wrote:

-OMPQS
    -Cannondale

Is a move likely?
    Orica?

Good shout!

OPQS with Brad on board would be a truly terrifying team TT squad
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I would have thought Orica, or maybe the new Trek team. Or maybe there will be a new money-bags sponsor coming in. Most likely he'll stay put though. IF he isn't willing to put the borderline obsessive focus in to compete for GT's (and I can't really comment on that) then his objectives and Sky's probably fit pretty well still.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Obviously, we can never know, but everyone said Wiggo won last year because the course suited him and there was no Bertie. And as a corollary to that this year's parcours wouldn't have suited him against the Spanish Armada. But I do feel a bit like we've all missed out due to his absence. It's pure conjecture, but I think if Wiggo had been there, the only guy who would've been ahead of him would be Froomie.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • On_What
    At least Wiggo has a personality compared to the wooden spoon that is Froome :(
  • Daz555
    Obviously, we can never know, but everyone said Wiggo won last year because the course suited him and there was no Bertie. And as a corollary to that this year's parcours wouldn't have suited him against the Spanish Armada. But I do feel a bit like we've all missed out due to his absence. It's pure conjecture, but I think if Wiggo had been there, the only guy who would've been ahead of him would be Froomie.
    A fit Wiggo would be in second spot right now. I have little doubt about that. Wiggo might also have been able to get Froome across the the gap in the echelon a few stages ago as well - the one which cost Froome a minute.

On Bertie's showing this year, both Wiggo and Froome would have blown him away last year so his absence takes nothing away from Wiggo's victory.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Has anyone suggested that Wiggo might try and win the Giro again? He didn't win the tour on the first attempt, and winning the tour will still need the back up of a solid Domestique so I don't think Sky can afford to let Porte loose on it.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    On_What wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    On_What wrote:

-OMPQS
    -Cannondale

Is a move likely?
    Orica?

Good shout!

OPQS with Brad on board would be a truly terrifying team TT squad

Can't imagine that Cav would be too happy, unless Wiggins decides to concentrate on the classics.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    inseine wrote:
    Can't imagine that Cav would be too happy, unless Wiggins decides to concentrate on the classics.
    ...in which case I can't imagine Boonen, Chava, Vandenbergh, Terpsra would be thrilled either. OPQS seems doubtful IMO.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    BMC have a habit of presenting ageing stage race talent with wheelbarrows full of cash.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    BMC would give him a platform for TT success. not much else as they are a load of memememememememe's.