Votec V.SX 'AbsoluteBlackLyrik' *update p8 17/03/15*

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited May 2015 in Your mountain bikes
So after nearly a year of slowly getting parts together I finally found the frame that was so close to being a Titus El Guapo. If it wasn't for the fact that the EG's have been in short supply recently (no black mediums) it would have been an EG for sure - but I'm glad I held out...because this is a beauty!

IMG_20130606_175632.JPG

The most impressive bike I've ridden recently has been the Rocky Mountain Slayer and this Votec V.SX Enduro has nearly an identical geometry (obviously for a fraction of the price of the Slayer) so I'm looking forward to getting her on the trails later in the summer...

IMG_20130606_175858.JPG

IMG_20130606_180008.JPG

IMG_20130606_175740.JPG
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• spender86
    spender86 Posts: 48
    That's look really good. What's the other plans for the build?
  • felix.london
    edited September 2013
    Planned build;

Frame : 2012 Votec VS.X Enduro 165mm w/ Rockshox Monarch RT3 High Volume shock

Fork : RS Domain 318 180mm - Black (got) (will be looking to replace in the future with a Lyrik or 'zocchi 55)

Wheels : Flows on Switch Evo - Black rims/Stealth hubs (got)

Tyres : Bonty XR4 Team Issue 2.35" (got) - never tried em, sound perfect for my local trails though

Bar : Easton Haven Alu 711mm - Black (got)

Stem : Superstar Zenith 50mm - Gunmetal (got) or Superstar Zephir 70mm - Black/Red - top tube is shorter than the other bikes so think I'll go for the 70mm stem

Grips : ODI Rogue Lock-On - Black/Black

Headset : Superstar Grande Bambino - Red

Crankset/BB : Shimano Saint Double/Bash 22/34 comes with a 36 as standard so will prob buy a Blackspire 34t ring

Pedals : On-One Thinny's (off DH bike) - Red will replace with Superstar Ultra Mag's

Seatpost : Rockshox Reverb off 'hopper

Saddle : Charge Spoon - Black (got) - £10 with a set of (sh1t) grips from Wiggle

Brakes : Magura MT2 w/ 185/180mm rotors - Black (got) - nice & light and look the business too

Shifters : Zee rear / Deore front (got front one already)

Front mech : Shimano XT 2x10 (M786)

Rear mech : Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ GS

Cassette : Shimano XT 10sp 11-34 - going 11-36 will take me over capacity limit for medium cage mech

Chain : KMC X10-93 (got)

That's pretty much it. Should be knocking around the 14kg mark with that lot.

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thank goodness, I've been waiting on this thread for a while!

Now get building (please.....)!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    Thank goodness, I've been waiting on this thread for a while!

Now get building (please.....)!

ha! I'm on the case don't worry!

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Cool!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    2012 Votec V.SX Enduro 165 Frame, Vital Statistics;

Size: M

Finish : Black Anodised

Geo : ST : 456mm, TT : 578mm, CS : 434mm, HT : 130mm, HA : 66.7º, WB : 1139mm

Shock : Rock Shox Monarch RT3 High Volume (2013)

Price : RRP €1,800 Price paid €790 (£670)

IMG_20130615_082101.jpg

IMG_20130615_082036.jpg

IMG_20130615_082130.jpg

Trek Session 8
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Lovely looking piece of metalwork. What sort of money will the full build cost come to?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    That looks awesome, so much nicer looking than the el-guapo. Where did you get it from? That's an absolute steal!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    Lovely looking piece of metalwork. What sort of money will the full build cost come to?

Great bit of work hey. I reckon about £1,900 for everything. That's including dropper post and pedals - neither of which I need as I can borrow them from the DH bike. (the Domains were used, got them for £150 but everything else will be new)

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ilovedirt wrote:
    That looks awesome, so much nicer looking than the el-guapo. Where did you get it from? That's an absolute steal!

Yeah - well happy I didn't pull the trigger on the EG. Came very close a few times. Everything about this frame is better IMO also 12mm through-axle and routing for dropper post which is handy. The EG cable routing in general looks awful. The Votec does seem like a nop notch piece of kit.

Got it from Bikester.fr - actually a German site disguised as a French site but they seem to have a ton of websites all with different names

i.e this is the same co http://www.bikeunit.de/fahrradteile/rahmen/votec-vsx-enduro-165-mm-rahmen-eloxiert-schwarz/328811.html?eqrecqid=bf69ff20-d5e8-11e2-a8c7-002421dde24d

Good service. Whenever you (I) place an order I get a €10 discount for doing a review of their site...bonzer :D

Trek Session 8
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

Great bit of work hey. I reckon about £1,900 for everything. That's including dropper post and pedals - neither of which I need as I can borrow them from the DH bike. (the Domains were used, got them for £150 but everything else will be new)

Cheers, I'm just pondering whether I could build a bike cheaper (or no more expensive) than buying one.
  • The Rookie
    Only if you use used components or have some stuff already will you do it cheaper!
  • pegglet
    pegglet Posts: 27
    how did the bike ride once built? cheers
    andy pegg
  • felix.london
    pegglet wrote:
    how did the bike ride once built? cheers

ha! Nothing changed since those pics a week or so ago

She'll be rolling on tubeless tyres with brakes fitted within a couple of weeks I hope. Not expecting her to hit any trails in anger until Aug/Sept tbh

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    You think we can wait that long for an update?

The suspence is killi.............
  • felix.london
    :lol:

Trek Session 8
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    What travel has the frame got? I know nothing about Votec, nice looking bike :)
  • felix.london
    165mm travel on the frame.

Just waiting for some bits to turn up from CRC and Superstar and she'll be rolling

I'll them be able to cut-down/lengthen the brake hoses and she'll be rolling and stopping. Then it's gonna be a loooong July staring at her before the drivetrain gets ordered...

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    Very nice, got a weight for the frame too?

3kg

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    tick tock...

2013+-+1

2013+-+1

2013+-+1

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    3Kg with shock is pretty good for that type of rig, should feel pretty lively.
  • felix.london
    OK...so a bunch of stuff (Americanisms sneaking through..yuk) ordered today. I think the pick of which is probably this Cane Creek 110 Zero Stack 1.5"-1 1/8" headset from Wiggle for £45 (RRP £140)

cane-creek-110-zero-con-hset-med.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

...a whole 90g less than the Superstar Grande Bambino that I'd originally specced for £13 more

I think the next best bargain today was the £45 XT 10sp 11-34 cassette which nudged my CRC order over £99 which in turn activated a £10 discount - so basically the cassette cost me £35...happy days :)

What else? Magura MT2 (rear) brake hose kit, (red!) tubeless valves, sealant & tape, ODI Rogue Lock-On grips, 12mm Switch adapter and rear axle, QR Seat Clamp plus some boring stuff (headset spacers, brake adapters, disc rotor bolts etc)

Being in France I'm hoping I've got this stuff by next weekend - Superstar bits probably, CRC & Wiggle kit almost definitely not...but we're moving in the right direction and that's the main thing :D

Trek Session 8
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Looks really smart mate! Will keep an eye on this build!

What's the promotion crc are doing? I currently have £107 worth of stuff in my basket! But not seen anything promition wise???

AJ
  • felix.london
    *AJ* wrote:
    Looks really smart mate! Will keep an eye on this build!

What's the promotion crc are doing? I currently have £107 worth of stuff in my basket! But not seen anything promition wise???

AJ

Code : 10TDF

v_code.jpg

Trek Session 8
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    You're a star! Thanks mate!
  • felix.london
    edited July 2013
    Turns out the as new Magura MT2's I bought (for £135) are actually a Magura OEM version with MT4 calipers & MT2 levers which is nice as they are about 30g lighter (per set - 450g on my scales) than the MT2's and I get bite adjust which the standard MT2's don't have.

2013+-+1

Also been redoing my sums as things have changed a bit e.g. I'm pinching the seat, post & pedals off the DH bike so my total build cost is down to £1,740 and the weight should be more like 13.5kg than the +14kg I'd originally figured (flats, no dropper, MT4's, Cane Creek 110 Zero Stack have all saved a significant amount of weight) which is great as I could get this bike well under 13kg pretty easily (when/if funds ever allow)

The Bonty seat & post will also go nicley with my Stealth Black With Red Accents colour scheme :wink:

2013+-+1

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Keep up the good work!
  • felix.london
    Let's get this baby rollin'!

2013+-+1

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    edited July 2013
    Getting there...

2013+-+3

Thought I'd pop my tubeless cherry with this build and if I like the results will convert the 'hopper too. Tyres went on easily with Superstar yellow tape and a track pump...but it was probably those red valves that made the difference 8) - just gotta wait for the sealant to show up from CRC but they've held 40psi for over 2hrs now...

2013+-+1

Seems the Superstar 12x135mm axel is too short as there's hardly any thread coming out the end to screw the nut onto. Will have to order a 150mm on the next round...

2013+-+2

Trek Session 8