frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Well if you really want it:

a x b = ((a + b)/2)^2 - ((b - a)/2)^2)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    You can find anything on google images :mrgreen:

6542572971_670d4c2d5d_z.jpg

My approx was 390. I said I`ll take the offer of each component separately. The guy who was slower than me has to go for the groupset total.

However in reality I would say that the list is incomplete so I cant make my decision and common sense dictates that a groupset will almost always be cheaper.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If Contador has a lead of 30 seconds on a 8% gradient and a power output 380W and four Sky riders ride at 410W how long will it take French Fighter to accuse Chris Froome of doping?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    RichN95 wrote:
    If Contador has a lead of 30 seconds on a 8% gradient and a power output 380W and four Sky riders ride at 410W how long will it take French Fighter to accuse Chris Froome of doping?

We need to know the distance to the finish ... Otherwise Sky will +/- to catch him with 500m to go and steal the win by a mighty 4 seconds ...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RichN95 wrote:

And please show your workings
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:

We need to know the mass of steak that AC has eaten in the last 3 weeks to answer this one.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    RichN95 wrote:
    Trick question, he'd have done that before the race even started.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I prefered my question posed back on page 7
    Would you rather fight one car sized duck/chicken or one hundred duck/chicken sized cars?
    Prompted as it was by these fellas:

chicken+car.JPG

02-publicity-duck.jpg

I might add that no one up until now has attempted an answer, goonz thought it was a prescient question, but that in itself is not an answer.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Richmond Racer
    Froome
    Porte
    Boasson Hagen
    Kennaugh
    Kiryienka
    Lopez
    Siutsou
    Stannard
    Thomas

That there's quite a squad for the TTT on stage 4, has to be said
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    RichN95 wrote:

4 riders out of this team and it won't be just Frenchie.
    Porte had better stay upright during the first week mayhem.
    On paper, climbing wise, Sky look decidedly lightweight when compared
    to Saxo and Moviestar.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Froome
    Porte
    Boasson Hagen
    Kennaugh
    Kiryienka
    Lopez
    Siutsou
    Stannard
    Thomas

That there's quite a squad for the TTT on stage 4, has to be said

Already posted on a dedicated thread.

But we can discuss it here too.

No Eisel?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    The absence of racing on the telly box really has had an effect on you lot hasn't it? If only Eurosport had had decent coverage of the Tour of Tobleroneland then you wouldn't have been watching Dara O'Brian's School of Hard Sums. :roll:

(I went the Spooks series 1 & 2 reruns route on Sony)
  • RichN95.
    Some more maths problems for you:

1. Christian P is dealing cards. For each card there is a 95% chance that it will be given to a French team. How many cards must Christian deal for there to be a 50% chance of a non-French team getting a card.

2. Jan weighs 70kg on December 1. If he eats four pies a day for three months, how many miles must he then cycle to weigh 70kg on July 1.

3. Jaimie has started a pressure group. Plot a graph showing how the number of people interested exponetially declines in relation to the number of times SKINS is mentioned.

4. Mark contests ten sprints. Find an equation showing the correlation between the number of times he wins and the number of times Ned has to apologize to the ITV4 viewers.

Please show all working (unless you are Antoine Vayer, of course)
  • above_the_cows
    No Eisel?

We discussed the lack of Bernie before the maths detour around pages 17 and 18. A whole barrel of kittens died at the news of a Tour without Bernie. :cry:
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    If anyone's actually interested in having a cycling discussion I'd say that the decision to pick Stannard over Eisel or Knees is pretty strange.

I love Stannard but Eisel and Knees would bring a lot more to a Tour squad in my opinion.
  • Richmond Racer
    Milton50 wrote:
    If anyone's actually interested in having a cycling discussion I'd say that the decision to pick Stannard over Eisel or Knees is pretty strange.

I love Stannard but Eisel and Knees would bring a lot more to a Tour squad in my opinion.

Like um...experience...?

(and I love Stan too)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    No Eisel?

We discussed the lack of Bernie before the maths detour around pages 17 and 18. A whole barrel of kittens died at the news of a Tour without Bernie. :cry:

Couldn't be ar5ed trawling back through.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    Did you know that Pedro Delgado has a donkey sanctuary and Bernie Eisel runs a cats home for abandoned kittens?

Milton we were having a discussion about the lack of Eisel but then people started getting all Krypton Factor, pages 17 and 18.

Bernie bless him has said good luck to the guys who made the team, always a gent, but he must be gutted.

On my way home I was thinking what if Stannard (I do like Ian but...) were to break something in the next few days would it mean Bernie would get a spot and then a car ran into the back of me. I guess you can call that karma (ha ha boom tish) for bad thoughts. And yes in the Netherlands, I got hit by a car on my bike in the Netherlands! It was at a junction and was only going 2km/h but still. The bike is fine BTW, piece of crap omafiets worth €50 and more importantly no kittens died.
  • above_the_cows
    No Eisel?

Couldn't be ar5ed trawling back through.

Don't blame you TBH.
  • RichN95.
    Eisel was a good road captain at HTC where he ran the sprint train. He's less use to a GC team if he's in the autobus. It's not like he's some tactical genius and the rest are numskulls. Sky picked the legs to do the job. They've all been around long enough to have a good idea what they're doing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Some more maths problems for you:

1. Christian P is dealing cards. For each card there is a 95% chance that it will be given to a French team. How many cards must Christian deal for there to be a 50% chance of a non-French team getting a card.

2. Jan weighs 70kg on December 1. If he eats four pies a day for three months, how many miles must he then cycle to weigh 70kg on July 1.

3. Jaimie has started a pressure group. Plot a graph showing how the number of people interested exponetially declines in relation to the number of times SKINS is mentioned.

4. Mark contests ten sprints. Find an equation showing the correlation between the number of times he wins and the number of times Ned has to apologize to the ITV4 viewers.

Please show all working (unless you are Antoine Vayer, of course)

:lol::lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:

Do you want rice or noodles with that?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    Eisel was a good road captain at HTC where he ran the sprint train. He's less use to a GC team if he's in the autobus. It's not like he's some tactical genius and the rest are numskulls. Sky picked the legs to do the job. They've all been around long enough to have a good idea what they're doing.

Well to put it another way: what does Stannard add that Eisel can't? Stannard may have marginally better legs for drilling it on the flat but there's not much in it. Eisel has spent years riding on the front of pelotons and leading out sprint trains. He's a big strong rider.

So I personally would say that when you have two riders who are fairly similar in ability I would have gone for the one with more experience. The thing is, it's easy to discount experience until you're in a situation when a split decision needs to be made about where to position yourself or whether to shut down an attack. Then it becomes valuable.
  • above_the_cows
    Milton50 wrote:
    So I personally would say that when you have two riders who are fairly similar in ability I would have gone for the one with more experience. The thing is, it's easy to discount experience until you're in a situation when a split decision needs to be made about where to position yourself or whether to shut down an attack. Then it becomes valuable.

^This
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    bompington wrote:
    As a mathematician, I would be able to tell you instantly that 14X16 is one less than 15X15. But I'm still none the wiser as to whether ff realises they don't have have the same answer...

Prove it.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited June 2013
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Well to put it another way: what does Stannard add that Eisel can't? Stannard may have marginally better legs for drilling it on the flat but there's not much in it. Eisel has spent years riding on the front of pelotons and leading out sprint trains. He's a big strong rider.

Thought the original was a cracking question, so... There might not be much in it in ability, but Stannard has shown some very big performances in crunch races: last two WCs, MSR this year. He's a more attacking/versatile rider who could credibly carry a stage-win threat from a variety of scenarios. Doubt Eisel is as flexible. Also Stannard might be more likely to stick around if he gets some Tour treats.

Also. The Classics squad were putting out the best numbers in recorded history. Ever. So now's the time to show it. :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    Milton50 wrote:

Stannard's a better climber. He's not great but he's likely to get over early climbs more readily than Eisel.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited June 2013
    Macaloon wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    As a mathematician, I would be able to tell you instantly that 14X16 is one less than 15X15. But I'm still none the wiser as to whether ff realises they don't have have the same answer...

Prove it.

13*15=195.........................14*14=196
    224*226=50624................225*225=50625
    4567*4569=20866623.....4568*4568=20866624
    4*6=24................................5*5=25

14*16=224........................15*15=225

Notice the pattern.

Apologies for contributing into turning this into the Marcus du Sautoy thread.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Macaloon wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Prove it.

QED