Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Vacansoleil squad:

Kris Boeckmans, Juan Antonio Flecha, Thomas De Gendt, Johnny Hoogerland, Sergey Lagutin, Wout Poels, Boy van Poppel, Danny van Poppel, Lieuwe Westra.

A brace of van Poppels! Van Poppel the younger is just 19

Boy van Poppel and Toddler van Poppel.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^^don't need a road captain when you have radios you know ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Put Bernie in the car. Sorted.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    No Eisel? :shock:

Controversial. I'm sure he is not happy about that! That's the first Tour he's missed in years. Where is the experience Eisel brings in that squad?

So:

Stan - 0
    Lil Pete - 0
    G - 3 x Tours
    Lopez - 2 x Tours
    Kiry - 3 x Tours
    Kosta - 3 x Tours (completed)
    EBH - 3 x Tours
    Porte - 2 x Tours
    Froome - 2 x Tours

FFS

I really can't see the sense in this, I know that numbers are everything to Sky but sometimes you do also need a brain and experience? You cannot road captain from the car.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The only reason Bernie was in the squad last year was coz Cavendish kicked off, n'est pas?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    iainf72 wrote:
    The only reason Bernie was in the squad last year was coz Cavendish kicked off, n'est pas?

Yes but last year they had Rogers. This year they have...?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    iainf72 wrote:

He was invaluable in the race, as they found out. Co-captain with Rogers.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Eisel has also not ridden a single race with Froome this year. They get them to ride together so the squad gels - it shouldn't be surprising
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    I really can't see the sense in this, I know that numbers are everything to Sky but sometimes you do also need a brain and experience? You cannot road captain from the car.

Incredibly strong group but agree with concern about lack of obvious captain. Sky's obsession with numbers does sometimes seem to be at the expense of some good old fashioned experience / common sense.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited June 2013
    I don't think we will se much of the Sky train in this race. It's a good team, obviously, but nowhere near the team from last year. Especially Kiry and Lopez look like they peaked a few months ago.
  • Turfle
    With Kiryienka and Lopez showing poor form at the Dauphine, perhaps the decision came down to road captain vs riding ability. Is it better to be lacking a captain, or lacking the riders who can fulfill their role? Eisel was invaluable with Cav around, I'm not convinced he's invaluable in a Cav-less, friction-less team.

I think I'd probably have taken Knees over Bernie or Sivtsov. But for all I know Sivtsov (or Kiriyienka/Thomas/Lopez) would be a perfectly good road captain.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ThomThom wrote:
    I don't think we will se much of the Sky train in this race. It's a good team, obviously, but no where near the team from last year. Especially Kiry and Lopez look like they peaked a few months ago.

Yeah hoping for this but then as Rich has noted Froomie likes to burn the peloton early so they need more flatland monsters which this team has.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    rickyrider wrote:

Incredibly strong group but agree with concern about lack of obvious captain. Sky's obsession with numbers does sometimes seem to be at the expense of some good old fashioned experience / common sense.

When the bunch gets blown to smithereens on stage 6, the sprinters teams put the hammer down big time and Froome has a Rabobank moment and is down three minutes, well I might just have a wee little chuckle inside.
  • Turfle
    Lotto-Belisol for #TDF - Bak, De Clercq, Greipel, Hansen, Henderson, Roelandts, Sieberg, Van den Broeck & Willems

You're on your own, Jurgen. Go get 'em.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ThomThom wrote:
    I don't think we will se much of the Sky train in this race. It's a good team, obviously, but no where near the team from last year. Especially Kiry and Lopez look like they peaked a few months ago.

Yeah hoping for this but then as Rich has noted Froomie likes to burn the peloton early so they need more flatland monsters which this team has.

Burn like attacking early? That's not the impression I have of Froome tbh.
  • frenchfighter
    edited June 2013
    rickyrider wrote:

I interviewed a PhD once and asked him what 14x16 was quickly. He went hot under the collar and said some number over 1000. Common sense would dictate you do 15x15 if you were working it out quickly.

Common sense is underrated.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    rickyrider wrote:

When the bunch gets blown to smithereens on stage 6, the sprinters teams put the hammer down big time and Froome has a Rabobank moment and is down three minutes, well I might just have a wee little chuckle inside.

They might not have quite as much experience as Knee's or Eisel, but Stannard, Thomas and EBH are a mighty useful trio to help you close any gaps on a flat stage.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Burn like attacking early? That's not the impression I have of Froome tbh.

Ha no, that would be nice. I mean uses his lackies to burn then he keeps his best friend until the last 1km when he goes anaerobic and the rest of the competition is no where near.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I interviewed a PhD once and asked him what 14x16 was quickly. He went hot under the collar and said some number over 1000. Common sense would dictate you do 15x15 if you were working it out quickly.

Common sense would be to just do 14x16, not another question that gave the wrong answer. Maths is like that, its wrong or right, can't remember ever getting marks for taking a punt in a maths exam and getting close to the answer but not getting it right.

Maybe you just picked a crap analogy though.
  • mfin
    No rider only goes anaerobic in the last 1k, if they did they'd never get anywhere near meeting the time limits on any stage.
  • above_the_cows
    rickyrider wrote:

They might not have quite as much experience as Knee's or Eisel, but Stannard, Thomas and EBH are a mighty useful trio to help you close any gaps on a flat stage.

True that, but my point was more that you want someone with experience to mean you are not needing to close any gaps in the first place and/or to insure that if there are gaps that you are on the right side of them. I'm not convinced Stannard, Thomas or EBH have that. Still I hope they prove me wrong, if not I'll have a little chuckle.
  • mfin
    I can't see the problem with the team selection myself, it seems strong, and the radios soon sort out the strategy on the road.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Maybe one of Froome's capabilities which has been developed over his season of team leadership is the ability to think for himself, and to agree what's what with Porte? Maybe, having more than one way to win, he doesn't need (or want) old hands like Rodgers around just to make sure Cuddles and Contador don't attack him.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    mfin wrote:

Common sense would be to just do 14x16, not another question that gave the wrong answer. Maths is like that, its wrong or right, can't remember ever getting marks for taking a punt in a maths exam and getting close to the answer but not getting it right.

Maths never my strongest suit but I was struggling to figure out that analogy that gave two different answers :)
  • frenchfighter
    mfin wrote:

What if you had 2secs to give me an answer? 95% of people wouldnt give the correct exact answer.

Maybe you just dont know what it is to trade.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I don't think that team looks as strong as the Saxo team on paper for mountains.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    mfin wrote:

14 x 16 = 224
    15 x 15 = 225

Common sense is overrated...
  • mfin

What if you had 2secs to give me an answer? 95% of people wouldnt give the correct exact answer.

I can do 14x16 as quickly as 15x15 though, so might as well do 14x16 which is the actual question.

Maybe you don't know what it's like to have common sense.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    edited June 2013
    mfin wrote:

'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    edited June 2013
    It takes longer to think of an approximate and then do that multiple than it does just to do the (quite simple) multiplication ((10x16)+(4x16)) ... should take any adult less than 5 seconds (i think it took me less than 3) ...