Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm basically missing the entire tour.

Gutted

Sky left you off the squad too eh Rick? :wink:

Its the elbow, innit. Poor Rick :(

More stuck in nyc doing 14hr days in office combined with abysmal internet at home and office

Don't worry, according to twitter it's going to be sh*t anyway.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Gutted

More stuck in nyc doing 14hr days in office combined with abysmal internet at home and office

Well if that's your excuse for not hitting the numbers, I'm not going to suggest otherwise. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    There is a cycling festival in Edinburgh this week, with a photo exhibition of TdF - excellent
    http://www.edfoc.org.uk/events/exhibitions/
    It was fun spotting the riders and locations without looking at the blurb .... got most of them right!

super excited for the start of the Tour
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Gutted

And Fenton's going to climb the Alpe faster than Pantani, apparently
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    jaxf wrote:
    There is a cycling festival in Edinburgh this week, with a photo exhibition of TdF - excellent
    http://www.edfoc.org.uk/events/exhibitions/
    It was fun spotting the riders and locations without looking at the blurb .... got most of them right!

super excited for the start of the Tour

Now that my fellow peddlers is an excellent post. On topic, useful info, link and enthusiastic.

It brings a a little tear to my eye.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Gutted

And Fenton's going to climb the Alpe faster than Pantani, apparently

Yup, and he's going to do it on a Brompton whilst holding his breath.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174

Gutted

Don't worry, according to Iain it's going to be sh*t like every other year anyway.

Fixed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Do I get hardman props for carrying on playing basketball for another 10 mins afterwards??
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Do I get hardman props for carrying on playing basketball for another 10 mins afterwards??

TBH, if you're in the US, I'd give you hardman props if you managed to watch an entire baseball game
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

Gutted

14hr work days? Unless you are American that is against the law, unless you get at least 5 tea breaks (in which you can watch the Tour) Man up, contact the EU and you will be sprung from this forced labor camp tout suit.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Sagan parking his bike - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRy_adiaIlc

Can't help but like the boy...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    ddraver wrote:

Now that is a sporting character.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Not worth a new thread, but an interesting chart - iain should make a graph out of it...

Drugtesting_tennis_usada.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    ddraver wrote:

That is insane. I wonder if he has any idea how massively talented he really is? Seems so down to Earth.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174

I'd pay good money to watch a 4' 11" Dutchman play basketball! :wink:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    ddraver wrote:

That is insane. I wonder if he has any idea how massively talented he really is? Seems so down to Earth.
    Next up, a 90kg mamil tries that and goes through the windscreen of his Megane.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver wrote:

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I love the way he approaches life with such joy and enthusiasm

When the rest of the peloton looked like it was the day after tomorrow...

JOzuNcm.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:

I'd pay good money to watch a 4' 11" Dutchman play basketball! :wink:

$50 and I'm all yours
  • rick_chasey
    Haven't read the thread, but I can't see past an upright Froome for yellow, Sagan for green.

Polka? who cares.
  • FocusZing
    "The French emperor Napoléon Bonaparte was born in 1769 in the Corsican capital of Ajaccio . His ancestral home, Casa Buonaparte , is today used as a museum. The northern town of Calvi claims to be the birthplace of the explorer Christopher Columbus".

"In the 6th century, the Roman Empire collapsed and the island was invaded by the Vandals". Which is where the term vandalism comes from.

220px-Corse_region_relief_location_map.jpg

It reminds me of a hand pointing with a finger. I went there as a kid on holiday, wish I could be there to ride and see the start/stages.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsica
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    Haven't read the thread, but I can't see past an upright Froome for yellow, Sagan for green.

Polka? who cares.

That's a reasonable summary.

There was some exploration of the ways in which Froome might not be upright and a lot of discussion about 26 x 24 (not a gearing question).

Somewhere a while back someone posted a copy of the official handbook.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    gpreeves wrote:
    Not sure if this has been posted before, but the PDF version of the official road book is available here:

http://t.co/lH2Kj7OQMb

Does anyone have a link to the English version.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    TheBigBean wrote:
    That's a reasonable summary.

There was some exploration of the ways in which Froome might not be upright and a lot of discussion about 26 x 24 (not a gearing question).

Somewhere a while back someone posted a copy of the official handbook.

And if your not going and want something from the publicity caravan, Richmond Racer (?) is taking orders.
  • TheBigBean

And if your not going and want something from the publicity caravan, Richmond Racer (?) is taking orders.

I missed that. I need a new Cannondale frame, shouldn't be a problem, right?
  • greasedscotsman
    TheBigBean wrote:

I doubt they would be giving them away. A small sachet of washing liquid on the other hand...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

I doubt they would be giving them away. A small sachet of washing liquid on the other hand...

Handy and very thoughtful, especially for removing bike grime, but it's not going to fix the crack in my frame! Back to searching ebay for me then...
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    UncleMonty wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:
    Not sure if this has been posted before, but the PDF version of the official road book is available here:

http://t.co/lH2Kj7OQMb

Does anyone have a link to the English version.

All I could find was the press kit in English

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/docs/ ... ss_kit.pdf
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Just hope that we dont have any big crashes taking loads of guys out before they've even seen the Pyrenees. Dont quite understand why someone aiming for 10th-15th would be trying to mix it near the front. Ok, so that is the best place to be but given the higher likelihood of crashing and the battle to get there i dont know why they dont just chill out a bit and ride further back. Ok, so you could lose a few minutes in a bunch split but at least you make it to the mountains. Losing time can help your chances of going in a break too.

I hope too that the mountains see some serious attacks go in early, ie really go for it both times up alpe d'huez and do something on the two HCs the next day. That stage (19) could be epic or it could be a bit like the first Tourmalet stage in 2010 which did see actually see a lot of attacks at first before they all came back together and then rode together over the Tourmalet. The 2 cat 1s and 1 cat 2 must prevent that though. Thinking of booking two afternoons off to watch those stages.

Edit: Hadnt heard of this before

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/pr ... ondon.html
  • greasedscotsman
    Just hope that we dont have any big crashes taking loads of guys out before they've even seen the Pyrenees. Dont quite understand why someone aiming for 10th-15th would be trying to mix it near the front. Ok, so that is the best place to be but given the higher likelihood of crashing and the battle to get there i dont know why they dont just chill out a bit and ride further back. Ok, so you could lose a few minutes in a bunch split but at least you make it to the mountains. Losing time can help your chances of going in a break too.

I doubt anyone aims to finish 11-15. Top 10, 5 or podium maybe. But most teams will have a GC rider or a sprinter (and their team mates) who HAS to be at the front or the race. There is no way anyone is going to want to give away a few minutes that could be the difference between a top 10 finish that early in the race. There will no doubt be a couple of riders who crash out or lose a heap of time in the first few stages.

It was posted on page 8. :wink:
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730

I doubt anyone aims to finish 11-15. Top 10, 5 or podium maybe. But most teams will have a GC rider or a sprinter (and their team mates) who HAS to be at the front or the race. There is no way anyone is going to want to give away a few minutes that could be the difference between a top 10 finish that early in the race. There will no doubt be a couple of riders who crash out or lose a heap of time in the first few stages.

Yes, i understand why those people would have to be up the front but it just seems that maybe some people are wrongly putting themselves in that category. Then again i suppose that people going for the best young rider would want to be up front too.

It was posted on page 8. :wink:[/quote]

Fair enough, i havent had time to read the whole thread. I did think that it would have been mentioned somewhere though. Back to page 8 i go...