Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    No Chris Anker? What am I going to do for my fix of "cyclist who looks like a penguin while cycling"? :shock:

He's the cycling equivalent of Eurotrash's Monsieur Pingouin.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    ThomThom wrote:
    Lets face it, the Danes are not exactly a hotbed of cycling talent so it is not surprising

With a population of only 6 million, Denmark sure are a hotbed of cycling talent.

Over one million watched the last climb in the Tour 2011. One million! That's why so many are not happy with this selection.

Especially when you consider how much publicity they got out of Chris Anker at the tour last year. Tried to chop his own finger off then carried on for 14th place and to win the combativity jersey. I'm quite shocked.

Even without the near finger amputation episode, Chris Anker was an absolute legend at the tour last year. The way he rode that race was truly inspirational and it will be a lesser race for his absence. But I tend to agree with the sentiments of Thom Thom. It would have been a real shame to have seen him wasted as part of a train and hopefully he'll be there to light up the Giro.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Froome seems to have lost his African accent in this latest BBC interview...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22957697
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Hmmm, he looked very uncomfortable on the doping question, body language saying 'Get me outta here'. If I wasn't absolutely positive that no cyclists ever doped any more, ever ever, I would be suspicious.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    You do talk some rubbish Joel....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I do.

BTW if anyone is interested, Paddy Power are doing odds outright without Froome. Some decent odds 1,2,3 1/4 place. ie Richie Porte at 9/1 for effectively first or second and 2.25/1 for 1,2,3 and 4. Seems too good to be true really.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Porte's a good bet. Hinault's choice apparently.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Anyway, about the state of those roads....

Screenshot2013-06-19at230204_zps46e05a2f.png~original
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    ^ I just hope there isn't too much of a cross wind
  • ddraver
    It's pictures like that that make me all geo-stimulated....
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Aye. If the weather stays as it is now in France the Tour could be won by a Belgian (or indeed German) hard man. Jens Voigt for the Yellow anyone?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pictures like this reassure me that we're doing the right thing investing so many financial and intelluectual resources studying climate change.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Reports i have seen suggest that the biggest problems have been in the valleys from Luz-St-Sauveur and Cauterets down to Lourdes and then downstream from there. This is to the west of the Tourmalet - in fact i think some people have ended up being evacuated over the Tourmalet from Bareges. The tour doesnt cross the tourmalet this year although it does go down the valley on the east side.

http://midi-pyrenees.france3.fr/2013/06 ... 73665.html

I imagine the cold May might have had an influence here, with a lot more snow around than normal for June, which would then have added to the water moving into the rivers.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    berges.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ThomThom wrote:
    Lets face it, the Danes are not exactly a hotbed of cycling talent so it is not surprising

With a population of only 6 million, Denmark sure are a hotbed of cycling talent.

Over one million watched the last climb in the Tour 2011. One million! That's why so many are not happy with this selection.

Not saying they arent strong fans. And one or two good cyclists does not make a nation of cycling talent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Vacansoleil squad:

Kris Boeckmans, Juan Antonio Flecha, Thomas De Gendt, Johnny Hoogerland, Sergey Lagutin, Wout Poels, Boy van Poppel, Danny van Poppel, Lieuwe Westra.

A brace of van Poppels! Van Poppel the younger is just 19
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    That's awfully young. Don't break him, Vacansoleil.

Nice attacking team as usual though.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Sky = Froome, Porte, EBH, Kennaugh, Kiryienka, Lopez, Siutsuo, Stannard, Thomas
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Team Sky Squad announced: http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,29112_8785078,00.html

Froome
    Porte
    Boasson Hagen
    Kennaugh
    Kiryienka
    Lopez
    Siutsou
    Stannard
    Thomas

Unsurprisingly a very strong squad!

Edit: beaten to it :cry:
  • Turfle
    As expected really, with Sivtsov getting the final place over Bernie and Knees.

A lot depends on Lopez. If he's back to his early form he's the 3rd best climber, if he's not it puts a lot of strain on the team - maybe why the final place went to Sivtsov over the lesser climbers.
  • Richmond Racer
    No Bernie. Prepare for a storming of the barricades.

But seriously, where's the Tour road captain experience? Figured the'd struggle to fill the gap left by Mick Rogers leaving, but really....
  • above_the_cows
    No Eisel? :shock:

Controversial. I'm sure he is not happy about that! That's the first Tour he's missed in years. Where is the experience Eisel brings in that squad?
  • ddraver
    But seriously, where's the Tour road captain experience? Figured the'd struggle to fill the gap left by Mick Rogers leaving, but really....

EBH? ;)
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    ddraver wrote:

EBH? ;)

This is a serious matter, you :(
  • frenchfighter
    Why havent Sky got a British leader for the Tour. Outrageous. Who is this imposter? Is it because he grew up in Africa but kept himself apart from Africans? Or because he speaks like a toff?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    That team should kill the TTT.
  • frenchfighter

Controversial. I'm sure he is not happy about that! That's the first Tour he's missed in years. Where is the experience Eisel brings in that squad?

B team. He has no gas lately if you have noticed. He would have made more money and fame staying with Cavendish - just like Coppi and Bartalis gregarios.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

EBH? ;)

This is a serious matter, you :(

It is. Who on earth is going to road captain that team? Well if there's time lost in the first week due to splits, broken collar bones because of fannying around in the middle of the pack then... :?

I guess the numbers win out over Bernie's brain in this instance.

"Hello, hello, is that Patrick Lefevere? Hello Patrick, hoe gaat het met jou? This is Bernie Eisel's agent and well while I know you don't really need another second tier classics rider, I'm sure you would appreciate a decent road captain in grand tours and well your multi-million Euro signing would I'm sure be happy with the support and if the Renshaw rumours are true, well we can get that sprint train working tickety boo!"

How am I going to finish this conference paper now! :(
  • frenchfighter
    Kiri has been below par this year apart from at Crit. I wonder if he will magically be back to riding 80% of the peloton off the back for half of every mountain.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer

So:

Stan - 0
    Lil Pete - 0
    G - 3 x Tours
    Lopez - 2 x Tours
    Kiry - 3 x Tours
    Kosta - 3 x Tours (completed)
    EBH - 3 x Tours
    Porte - 2 x Tours
    Froome - 2 x Tours

FFS