Di Luca up to his old tricks

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    dsoutar wrote:
    A clean rider (Wiggins) can be dull and a clean rider (Contador) can be exciting.

What can I say - absolutely troll-tastic !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStjnAKhdqZMQaf9QsXSRpqTfAoneOWGN_p-lDooJM31ohu2hbW
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Slowly losing faith in all these pro's....
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,543
    What's the difference between a former Grand Tour winner and a Grand Tour winner? Are Heras and Llandis former winners in that they won grand tours and then lost them due to failed doping tests? Or perhaps, it means they are not reigning champs, so Wiggins and Contador fans can sleep easily, but the Menchov and Basso fans have something to fear.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Plan "C" for today was obviously the DDL announcement. :lol:

He was ridiculous in both the GP Industria and Giro Toscano, where he got popped.
    I watched both.
    It's all well and good to say he's an attacking rider, but he's only able to do it cos he's on
    rocket fuel.

Di Luca was in the last chance saloon, so it's hardly surprising he chose to throw his favourite dice,
    one last time.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    goonz wrote:
    Slowly losing faith in all these pro's....
    If you had any faith in Di Luca then you've only got yourself to blame, I'm afraid
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,754
    Lets face it, there will, eventually, be some more positive tests which will be equally unsurprising. Except for Contador obviously who is beyond reproach.

Aggression, Panache or whatever else you want to call it is all very exciting at the time, and then you get the 'hangover' when you realise it was all unnatural and you wasted 3 weeks watching a tour where the majority of the protagonists were juiced.

Personally, I don't know why these teams/sponsors keep signing the same old suspects (who are usually unrepentant) and people keep being surprised.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Apparently started the Giro with just a couple of day's of racing done beforehand.

Amused by the team management who have made a show of disowning him to the point of leaving him to somehow make his own way home from the hotel. Yet a day or so before they were critical of Garzelli for not racing as hard as Di Luca.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    gregster04 wrote:
    Lets face it, there will, eventually, be some more positive tests which will be equally unsurprising. Except for Contador obviously who is beyond reproach.

Yes, possibly from this Giro, after all when was the last time anyone was this far ahead - oh, 2011.......
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    dsoutar wrote:
    Nope not a heavyweight but a very exciting rider with an attacking mentality.

The problem is that the attacking mentality comes from knowing that given what you've ingested that you can make these attacks.

Yes and no.

A drugged rider (Menchov) can be dull and a drugged rider (Di Luca) can be exciting.

A clean rider (Wiggins) can be dull and a clean rider (Contador) can be exciting.

Exactly - though you could probably have used Contador twice in that example.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I can't believe anyone thinks the sport is now clean. Cleaner, perhaps.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I am so shocked. I can hardly believe it.

Found it a little disheartening yesterday when Di Luca, then Caruso, then Scarponi all set great times in the same 5, 10 minute period (Scarponi at halfway). I don't know, what can you say?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Oh my... Not Danilo Di Luca. I'm stunned. Truly stunned.

I'm all for giving all riders who do their time a second chance, but he's had more lives than a cat.

Good riddance to one of the sleaziest, most unrepentant dopers of them all. I cannot believe anybody could ever take him seriously as a credible GC contender. Oil for drugs may well be the nadir of cynicism in The Sport of Professional Cycling.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    There'll soon be NO exciting racing at all. This Giro has been bad enough, if the day ever comes that they are all clean, long stage racing really won't be worth watching. Modern training and diet regimes (just another form of cheating really) are so standardised that no one will dominate, no one will have good/bad days, no one will take chances.

Just give 'em all a single speed bike, no support cars, no radios....oh that's sport, NOT mass marketing posing as entertainment. Cycling has finally joined all the other ex-sports.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    everything he did this giro was chased down
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Intentionally no doubt

@meagain

If you really believe that, why not just go watch the NBA? They don't give a hoot what their players do.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793

Intentionally no doubt

had that vibe to it.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    FF trying to liven up a day with no cycling with his Bertie comments :lol:

I keep hoping that other sports will start to expose their drugs cheats (no just those who take clenbutarol) and we can really start to make some inroads in to doping. Cycling can't do it alone and although each positive shows that tests are catching some dopers, it will need a concerted effort from all sports to try and get ahead of those who dope.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited May 2013
    meagain wrote:
    There'll soon be NO exciting racing at all. This Giro has been bad enough, if the day ever comes that they are all clean, long stage racing really won't be worth watching.

Well, not really, look back at the Merckx era, ok he and others took stuff, but with nothing like the kind of advantages you get from EPO, blood doping etc.

Like mentioned once before, all the dopers who've come back should have to wear a certain colour helmet or jersey, so that when people ask 'why are several people on different teams wearing bright red crash helmets' or something like that, people can say 'ah, that's to identify that they've been caught using drugs to cheat in the past'.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    IanLD wrote:
    FF trying to liven up a day with no cycling with his Bertie comments :lol:

Ah well, makes a change from the Di Luca comments !

Stage 4:
    Got to love the way Di Luca races. Killer. Shame Sky might just ruin it.

I think he's managed to ruin it pretty much by himself
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    ThomThom wrote:
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/05/the-secret-pro-2/

While I’m on the topic of Grand Tours, there’s talk going around the peloton that a former Grand Tour winner who’s about to be taken down for a biological passport irregularity. I can’t say who it is but when the news breaks you’ll know who I’m talking about. If it’s true, it’s a good thing that he’s been found out; it shows that the biological passport is doing its job.

I suggested at the time it could be Di Luca, after he stuck in a big attack the day the column came out.... Glad he's been done, sad to call these things out!
  • essexeagle
    essexeagle Posts: 60
    What a massive w@nker, lifetime ban's too short for that plonker
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    "We are catching the dopey dopers, but not the sophisticated ones."
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I was going to make two observations but I wont. Lol. (not referring to the photo)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Just wondering... Do Italian pros do school visits and get involved with local, regional and national programmes to promote cycling like they do in the UK, or is it seen as a completely separate world with one sphere regarded as an irrelevance to the other?

I'm just imagining what the kids might be thinking right now if Di Luca's rocked up their school lately looking bronzed, fit and wealthy... possibly with an mink coat draped over his shoulders and walking with a dandy's cane.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    He can't be the rider suggested in the Secret Pro because that was supposedly about a biological passport irregularity rather than a positive for EPO. It could of course be Menchov. My understanding is that even if you are retired they will still undertake the full process and ban you.

No-one will be sad to see the back of Di Luca, other than maybe the man himself. Presumably he had become so reliant on doping that he was never going to change his ways. Once again proof that the current system isn't effective. Bans need to be longer.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    squired wrote:
    Bans need to be longer.
    Yep. Financial penalty needs to be harder as well.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    ThomThom wrote:
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/05/the-secret-pro-2/

While I’m on the topic of Grand Tours, there’s talk going around the peloton that a former Grand Tour winner who’s about to be taken down for a biological passport irregularity. I can’t say who it is but when the news breaks you’ll know who I’m talking about. If it’s true, it’s a good thing that he’s been found out; it shows that the biological passport is doing its job.

I suggested at the time it could be Di Luca, after he stuck in a big attack the day the column came out.... Glad he's been done, sad to call these things out!

Di Luca failed a test though didn't he - EPO detected in blood - not a passport irregularity

although of course one would lead to the other
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    meagain wrote:
    There'll soon be NO exciting racing at all. This Giro has been bad enough, if the day ever comes that they are all clean, long stage racing really won't be worth watching. Modern training and diet regimes (just another form of cheating really) are so standardised that no one will dominate, no one will have good/bad days, no one will take chances.

Just give 'em all a single speed bike, no support cars, no radios....oh that's sport, NOT mass marketing posing as entertainment. Cycling has finally joined all the other ex-sports.

How do you make out that training and diet are 'other forms of cheating'?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Caption competition:

di-luca-chair-199x300.jpg

Oh god I've just realised he looks just like one of my PhD examiners. He was a massive a*se hat as well.

Caption: "Gollum digs deep into his suitcase of courage, finds a zebra print armchair and tries his luck in The Sport of Professional Cycling."

Not very snappy is it? Hmmm :?
    meagain wrote:

As for this...

Areyounot_zps97a64c0a.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.