Di Luca up to his old tricks

The Kennington Kaiser
edited December 2013 in Pro race
Positive. At least according to Pier Bergonzi. https://twitter.com/pierbergonzi/status ... 1185104896

Sorry if this is a titanic, just woken up..

Comments

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,675
    "He's mad, he's a cretino"

Scinto has it about right.

Hopefully this is the end for another un-reformed doper.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    It's a shame for the sport, but he has been in a breakaway/attack nearly every day of this tour, it should have raised some eyebrows. No other rider has come close to doing anything like that, except perhaps Pirazzi, though it's clear he suffers every day in terms of stage results for his breakaways.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    This morning I'm finding the news that it snows in the mountains slightly more surprising
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    StefanP wrote:
    It's a shame for the sport, but he has been in a breakaway/attack nearly every day of this tour, it should have raised some eyebrows. No other rider has come close to doing anything like that, except perhaps Pirazzi, though it's clear he suffers every day in terms of stage results for his breakaways.

I think it raised a lot of eyebrows , people just thinking " there he goes again" , it was almost laughable
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Sad for the sport.

Can't believe the number of chances he has been given and the fact that people (and some on here) still big him up and give him props.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Throw Vini Fantini out as well if they choose not to do it themselves.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    ThomThom wrote:

100% agree with this.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ThomThom wrote:

In his defence, Luca Scinto didn't want Di Luca but was over ruled by his sponsors who appreciated the additional budget, from Acqua & Sapone, that Di Luca brought with him.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    *heavyweight*

Poor Frenchie
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    What a prick :evil:
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    an out of competition test +ve before the start of the giro ???? and we only find out now ??

I hope they throw the book at him and we never see him in a race again
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    mroli wrote:
    Sad for the sport.

Can't believe the number of chances he has been given and the fact that people (and some on here) still big him up and give him props.

^This

'oh he's a racer', 'Heavyweight'

Give me a break. Parallel universe stuff.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    davelakers wrote:
    *heavyweight*

Poor Frenchie

Exactly my first thought. Although, to be fair, he is consistent about the type of rider he supports!

HEAVYWEIGHT
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nope not a heavyweight but a very exciting rider with an attacking mentality.

I guess he is as dumb and twisted as Ricco.

I really thought he was not doping this year as he couldn`t hold any attack. He must have been on some really heavy stuff before...

Very disappointed. Ridiculous. Not sure what to think now when looking at the photos. Just got to take them aesthetic value I suppose.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Good, rational response Frenchie.

This is rubbish for all of us, whether fans of Di Luca or not.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • thomthom
    This is the guy that Andy almost beat in an age of 22 in the good old year of 2007 Giro :roll:
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

The problem is that the attacking mentality comes from knowing that given what you've ingested that you can make these attacks.

I'm sure half the peloton would be exciting riders with an attacking mentality if they started on the juice. I know people complain that racing is much more boring these days (and to a degree they're probably right) but the alternative isn't really an option these days although idiots like Di Luca seem to think so.

Hopefully we can find out the whole supply chain but I'm hoping this is just a rogue on his own rather than the just more of the old stuff.

It also raises questions (posed above by others) why this took so long to come out. Was that deliberate to have less of an impact on the Giro ? Just when sponsors thought it was safe to go back in the water, too :roll:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    dsoutar wrote:

The problem is that the attacking mentality comes from knowing that given what you've ingested that you can make these attacks.

I'm sure half the peloton would be exciting riders with an attacking mentality if they started on the juice. I know people complain that racing is much more boring these days (and to a degree they're probably right) but the alternative isn't really an option these days although idiots like Di Luca seem to think so.

Hopefully we can find out the whole supply chain but I'm hoping this is just a rogue on his own rather than the just more of the old stuff.

Do people say racing is now more boring ? Quite the opposite - USPostal controlling the race or Basso spinning away into the distance was boring. DiLuca has an attacking nature - he was attacking when they were all doped too - he's a cheat but I don't think being juiced dictates how people race.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I remember him as a young rider. He'd attempt an attack from, say, 50kms out on a Giro stage, look awesome and then fade and fail. Later he stopped failing and started winning.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    In recent days, reports in the Italian media had linked Di Luca with a move to Astana for the 2014 season.

:roll:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    In recent days, reports in the Italian media had linked Di Luca with a move to Astana for the 2014 season.

:roll:
    Haha, can we have another pic of Sammy Sanchez's look of disbelief from the TT leader's spot yesterday.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    dsoutar wrote:

Yes and no.

A drugged rider (Menchov) can be dull and a drugged rider (Di Luca) can be exciting.

A clean rider (Wiggins) can be dull and a clean rider (Contador) can be exciting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    I said it as soon as he returned.
    First race out and he was on the front, killing an entire peloton, on a big climb.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • petemadoc
    dsoutar wrote:

Yes and no.

A drugged rider (Menchov) can be dull and a drugged rider (Di Luca) can be exciting.

A clean rider (Wiggins) can be dull and a clean rider (Contador) can be exciting.

:lol::lol::lol:

You're asking to get flamed with that one :D
  • thomthom
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/05/the-secret-pro-2/

While I’m on the topic of Grand Tours, there’s talk going around the peloton that a former Grand Tour winner who’s about to be taken down for a biological passport irregularity. I can’t say who it is but when the news breaks you’ll know who I’m talking about. If it’s true, it’s a good thing that he’s been found out; it shows that the biological passport is doing its job.
  • petemadoc
    Well this might give us something to talk about today

My plans have been pretty much ruined by today's stage cancellation :(
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

What can I say - absolutely troll-tastic !
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    ThomThom wrote:
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/05/the-secret-pro-2/

While I’m on the topic of Grand Tours, there’s talk going around the peloton that a former Grand Tour winner who’s about to be taken down for a biological passport irregularity. I can’t say who it is but when the news breaks you’ll know who I’m talking about. If it’s true, it’s a good thing that he’s been found out; it shows that the biological passport is doing its job.
    Must be a bit odd to be racing alongside him if this news has been floating around the peloton for a couple of weeks already...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Team AG2R are taking one for Sylvain Georges, and Di Luca no-doubt preempted potential attacks by clean riders. How long before the peloton starts to take matters into their own hands?

full_metal_jacket_09.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.