Giro stage 14 SPOILER

123457»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contrast to Evans with everything including a hat and neck warmer. Maybe he was overheating.

14t_2946604.jpg

You can't race for the win comfortably all dressed up.

I remember Contador taking his leg warmers off racing up Mende in Paris Nice where the others were wrapped up. he arrived solo for the win.

Ps. I am an Evans fan.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Henao looks like he has just emerged from the swim in a triathlon.

14c_2946572.jpg

Ps. I have just worked out what all those 'bubbles' are on Vini's kit. It is because they are sponsored also by Acqua Sapone
    sant_2946554.jpg
    2011_Acqua_e_Sapone_team_cycling_clothing.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Perhaps Evans is trying to keep himself safe so he doesnt get ill during the tour again...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Here's RAI's composite coverage of the final climb - Nibs looks untroubled - watch how he nonchalantly discards his water bottle at 4'50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UkLAXt1dzU
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    goonz wrote:
    Hard man Nibs, shorts and ss jersey and no arm warmers
    Trying to save weight innit :lol:
    No gloves or glasses either.
    It was bound to come other teams would follow Sky’s marginal gains philosophy.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Here's RAI's composite coverage of the final climb - Nibs looks untroubled - watch how he nonchalantly discards his water bottle at 4'50

Copyright blocked
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Watched the Sky Sports highlights earlier for the first time. My god. What the hell is Carlton Kirby taking?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508

Copyright blocked

Blimey that was quick - I only watched it a minute ago. :(
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:
    Watched the Sky Sports highlights earlier for the first time. My god. What the hell is Carlton Kirby taking?

Did you come away from it thinking it was a UKIP advert?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    WOW, I have just noticed Vandevelde is racing!
    What :shock:. I never knew.. That's just terrible.
  • knedlicky
    Copyright blocked
    Try this, roughly between 00:23:00 and 00:51:00 for the whole climb coverage (so without snippets, discussion and interviews)
    http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/raisport/Articoli/ContentItem-5e1850cc-1216-44d9-abb1-9143c77ebc17.html
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Did you come away from it thinking it was a UKIP advert?

No, but my admiration for Dan Lloyd did go through the roof.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Nibali is laughing really because the Sky train tires people out and drops people out while he rides in the sweetspot expending little energy. Then he says thanks and bye.

In other words you're saying he's a wheel sucker
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Now that's what I call a great photo - it tells the story.

Nibali looks increasingly like he has the Giro by the scruff, IMHO so far he really deserves it.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    cadlts latest tweet:
    @millarmind It's as dramatic on tv as in bunch? #thisisnuts #fromaguyinhis14thGT #giro

didnt realise this was Cadels 14th GT. would have had a few more victories in another era, not sure if he still brings his dog though.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099

Grazie!

Or maybe not – blocked!
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Weirdly positive about one rider taking the lead and holding onto it for a forgone conclusion till the end. Guess because nibs has dug in on the end of a few climbs and raced down the side of a few mountains that makes him True Champion.

I think he has done a decent job, looks in great form and doesn't look like anyone else is in the same league. very different to how he looked at the tour last year where one day he was attacking and the next he couldn't hold the wheels. Wonder if anyone has any energy to attack him tomorrow.

No taking anything away from him but I would find the last week and these mountains more exciting if it looked like one of the riders near him on GC could attack and put him into trouble. Based on today though it looks like he can cruise it to the finish.
  • knedlicky
    Grazie!
    Or maybe not – blocked!
    I had the impression you were comfortable with Italian (e.g. I think you're the only person to have commented on Garzelli and to have mentioned RAI's Alessandra De Stefano) so if you want to see the climb, why don't you try the link I gave above.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Now, I wasn't watching cycling in those days.

But are you seriously telling me that people believed in this, winning in the mountains?

000_apw2001011567408_220.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I know TWH, I was nt wathcing either but occaionally the old sages post a you tube link to Armstrong or Pantani or similar and I just cannot believe that people fell for it. It's slapping you in the face

Of course that's easy to say with hindsight....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    not sure if it's just me. but this giro is pretty similar to last years TDF in that it does appear to be very much a 1 horse race with the added difference being the whether taking people out instead of the stronger rider doing the business?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I know rebs but shhhh, don't mention it eh? We have to pretend it's epic cos it's the Giro and we need to look cool and aloof
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    ddraver wrote:
    I know rebs but shhhh, don't mention it eh? We have to pretend it's epic cos it's the Giro and we need to look cool and aloof

The Giro ceased to be cool when Wiggins turned up to win and Sky TV started showing highlights.

It's all about the Vuelta now, that's proper racing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    150-PIC368323100_zpsdd662210.jpg

285-PIC368262910_zps55d15cae.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    TheStone wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    That Astana shorts with pink jersey combo is horrific.

It's like someone's got confused in Mothercare.
    The blue tights are worse, look like pajamas! Although sitting there fast forwarding watts and zap was pretty boring it was quite tense waiting to see who would emerge through the mists first.
  • frenchfighter

Nibali making it look so easy. Beautiful.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Paul 8v wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    That Astana shorts with pink jersey combo is horrific.

It's like someone's got confused in Mothercare.
    The blue tights are worse, look like pajamas! Although sitting there fast forwarding watts and zap was pretty boring it was quite tense waiting to see who would emerge through the mists first.

Yep, those tights are the sort of crime that should end up in The Hague. Can the organisers deduct those fair play points from Astana for letting riders wear them?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    knedlicky wrote:
    Grazie!
    Or maybe not – blocked!
    I had the impression you were comfortable with Italian (e.g. I think you're the only person to have commented on Garzelli and to have mentioned RAI's Alessandra De Stefano) so if you want to see the climb, why don't you try the link I gave above.
    Yes, thanks for that link, hadn't scrolled far enough down the thread to see it. What's interesting about that climb is the extent to which Vini Fantini were working for Astana - first Di Luca, then Santambrogio. Nibali's chucking away his bottle prior to his jump was a definite "let's go" signal to Santambrogio and they gapped Evans immediately. I guess this sort of thing happens, Italy v the foreigners.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    Yes, thanks for that link, ... What's interesting about that climb is the extent to which Vini Fantini were working for Astana - first Di Luca, then Santambrogio. Nibali's chucking away his bottle prior to his jump was a definite "let's go" signal to Santambrogio and they gapped Evans immediately. I guess this sort of thing happens, Italy v the foreigners
    I didn’t have the impression Vini Fantini were working for Astana, or that it was Italians against foreigners, rather Vini Fantini had their own plan and it was coincidentally fine for Astana too.
    If anything, I’d say it was Bardiani Valvole with which Vini Fantini have formed an allegiance.

And Bardiani Valvole may need allies if Pirazzi keeps annoying other riders!