Sestriere
Sestriere_zpsa03e83c6.png~original

Bardonecchia
Bardonecchia_zpsa7a6f856.png~original

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    There Will Be Snow

Let's hope they don't cut the stage - looking forward to yet another weekend of dodging riding my own bike by sitting in front of the TV. It will be a real shame if we lose some big mountains.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Pross wrote:
    There Will Be Snow

Let's hope they don't cut the stage - looking forward to yet another weekend of dodging riding my own bike by sitting in front of the TV. It will be a real shame if we lose some big mountains.

Too right. The whole stage is on Sunday. :)
    Looking forward to seeing an old friend, in the Col du Mont Cenis.
    Trouble is that both Sestrieres and Galibier are forecast to catch a whole foot of the white stuff, tomorrow.
    The Tifosi had better bring their shovels.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    bardonecchia.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Anyone for a spot of skiing?

Seriously what has happened to the spring? I'm still wearing woolen jumpers and have only managed to go out for a ride once this year in a short sleeved jersey and a pair of bib shorts.

The ski resorts must be pleased they've had some awful seasons recently with no snow, but it is mid May!

It would be a real shame if they have to cut stages short due to the weather.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    If they have to cut the Galibier out on Sunday I will be p*ssed. Too many good races gone to pot this year.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106

Seriously what has happened to the spring? I'm still wearing woolen jumpers and have only managed to go out for a ride once this year in a short sleeved jersey and a pair of bib shorts.

The ski resorts must be pleased they've had some awful seasons recently with no snow, but it is mid May!

It would be a real shame if they have to cut stages short due to the weather.

The UK got spoilt with one week of glorious summer weather in April and now its as you were. Back to weather from late Feb!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Giro-dItalia-Stage-14-1366543605.jpg

MEIRz4R.png
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The ski resorts must be pleased
    It makes no difference to ski resorts that spring/summer is so delayed, because normally their opening dates are decided in advance and even those resorts still open into May, like Ischgl, normally close at the end of the first week of May.
    But for those who like to do ski-touring (with fur on the ski soles when climbing, etc), these prolonged winters are great.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Apologies in advance, but a bit of Talking Heads seems appropriate atm.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AWtCittJyr0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAWtCittJyr0
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    If they have to cut the Galibier out on Sunday I will be p*ssed. Too many good races gone to pot this year.
    Bad news I'm afraid :(
    @mrconde: Seems like both Mont-Cenis and Galibier have been cancelled. No #giro on these climbs this weekend. What a shame :/
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Is today's stage likely to go ahead in full?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Is today's stage likely to go ahead in full?

Yes this, I want to know if I have time to go and do some necessary shopping, go out for a ride, watch the stage and prepare for the most important night of the year - Eurovision! :D

From what I can glean with limited research, it is all systems go for today.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RonB
    Confirmed: Sestriere climb cancelled due to risk of snow and poor visibility...race director Mauro Vegni.
    9:43 a.m. Sat, May 18

Edit - Course lengthened by 13km but no Sestriere. Weather conditions were good this morning but have deteriorated significantly in last two hours.
  • blazing_saddles
    The phrase: "All their eggs in one basket" springs to mind.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Nibali to be investigated for climate doping.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Such a shame, Nibali could win by default at this rate if all the opportunities for his rivals get removed. Fingers crossed weather will be better for final stages.

Race organisers can't say they weren't warned.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RonB
    Cav and the rest of the OPQS guys will be gutted :wink:

Breaking news that Giro race director Mauro Vegni has a 1pm telephone appointment with relevant authorities in France to discuss viability of Galibier.
  • blazing_saddles
    Trouble is, with the designated route, there is only the alternative of the main valley road to Susa and beyond.
    A road I have travelled many times and guarantees this will be deadly dull, until the finish.
  • RonB
    Likely profile thanks to Inrng...

BKigtFyCQAAW3Oh.png
  • tailwindhome
    Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 4m
    Stage 14 of the #giro 12km longer, but leaves out the climb of Sestriere. Regret suffering in the cold for our @gcntweet preview now!!

Mikkel Condé v2.0 Mikkel Condé v2.0 ‏@mrconde 51s
    @daniellloyd1 @gcntweet At least you can say you were best rider over it in this giro?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Squirrelpie
    Squirrelpie Posts: 78
    Well they say the Giro is harder than the Tour but that's before they take out the biggest climbs almost every year. They do better to start the Giro Later in the year.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    View of Bardonecchia from higher up on webcam 10 mins ago.

8749326847_8c3f49c045.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    BKiuCzdCYAApWMP.jpg:large
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    This look like something from the Vuelta route last year. A 5km race it is then.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Well they say the Giro is harder than the Tour but that's before they take out the biggest climbs almost every year. They do better to start the Giro Later in the year.
    I did this post two days ago so to remind you where to lay the blame.
    deejay wrote:
    Just Blame the UCI for making them run two weeks earlier.
    Check out Breukink winning the 1988 Giro Gavia stage through a blinding Blizzard and the many pictures of Andy Hamsten coming through in second place that day.

That race did not start until the 23rd May (I think that is 3 weeks later than this one) and one stage had to be cancelled because of snow.
    I still have a plastic card "Gears Table" issued with CYCLING WEEKLY in 1991 and on the other side it gives the World Calendar with May 26 - June 16 the Tour of ITALY and of course the Vuelta as April 29 - May 19.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Wouldn't it make sense to swap the Giro and Vuelta dates?
    (Ducks and runs for cover...)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Wouldn't it make sense to swap the Giro and Vuelta dates?
    (Ducks and runs for cover...)
    No I wouldn't suggest that but to move a GT race to make other races more accessible for "UCI World Tour Event Program" is wrong.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • tailwindhome
    Trying to get my head round the logic of the impact on Cavendish et al.

Shorter, faster stage means a tighter cut off time; maybe the %age is altered too.

Fewer climbing miles to lose time on, though the pace will be higher and no descending to claw back time.

*goes for another coffee*
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    DNS: Daniele Bennati (TST), Karsten Kroon (TST) , Gert Steegmans (OPQ) and Jack Bobridge (BLA)

Sonny Colbrelli (Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox), Luca Paolini (Katusha), Matteo Trentin (Omega Pharma-Quick Step) and Daniele Pietropolli (Lampre-Merida)
    1.30 up the road
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    Luca Paolini (Katusha)

Why?