Tour of California - Spoiler thread

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited May 2013
    Why is no 'acclimatisation' to hot temperatures dangerous?

What actually occurs doing said 'acclimatisation' process in the body, and what is missing that makes it dangerous?

Sounds a bit bull to me.

People race in 40 degree heat every year. I've played tennis matches in that heat.

Let me guess: non stop racing around the court for up to 5 hours with no rests between points, games and sets, no rest whilst waiting for balls to be picked up, servers to serve, etc? HR at a constant level?

Sorry Rick, but I think comparing tennis (amateur at that) and cycling (pro level) is a nonsense. Amateur tennis is a doddle in the heat, and I know from playing in Portugal in Aug a fair bit.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Why is no 'acclimatisation' to hot temperatures dangerous?

What actually occurs doing said 'acclimatisation' process in the body, and what is missing that makes it dangerous?

Sounds a bit bull to me.

People race in 40 degree heat every year. I've played tennis matches in that heat.
    Acclimatisation produces:
    a lower heart rate at a given heat and exercise stress level
    better maintenance of core body temperature
    reduction in the sweating threshold
    increased distribution of active sweat glands
    increased sweat rate
    an increased sweating sensitivity to increasing core body temperature
    a reduction in the loss of water and electrolytes from the kidneys (Robinson 1967).
    Sweat sodium concentration is often lower after heat acclimatisation, producing a more dilute sweat (Nielsen et al. 1997) and perceived exertion during exercise in the heat is reduced (Cheung, McLellan and Teneglia 2000). Studies have shown acclimatisation over 6 to 12 days can increase tolerance time in the heat, for example, by 15 per cent (Cheung, McLellan and Teneglia 2000).
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Fair enough. I stand corrected.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Didn't see it, but I take it Rob Hatch does an American accent every time he pronounces "team 5 hour energy presented by Kenda", right?
    Personally, I prefer a commentator who is polite enough to try and pronounce someone's name correctly rather than one who panders to the sensibilities of the jingoistic locals but ymmv.

It's not either/or. You can pronounce a name correctly without sounding like something from The Fast Show.
    Except, on the whole, he generally does pronounce the names correctly, certainly the French ones. But, whatever, if it upsets you so much, whinge away.

I know we've had this debate before but for me it's not the pronunciation of foreign names correctly (which I agree is good manners) but the 'allo ' allo accent he uses and then the fairly pointless pronunciation of AG2R as ay jhay deux air. Also, some things such as place names it is surely acceptable to pronounce in your normal way e.g. I wouldn't expect an English speaking commentator to pronounce Paris as Paree, likewise I wouldn't expect a French commentator to say London rather than Londres (and do it in a Dick van Dyke accent). It's a shame as I think he is the best commentator on Eurosport.
    I didn't plan on getting involved any further in this debate but it appears Rob Hatch reads this forum.

Robert Hatch ‏@robhatchtv 4h
    One thing I did spot whilst searching for your views was a comment on the @bikeradar forum regarding pronunciation of rider names. :-)

I've kept my counsel on this subject for a while, but for anybody who thinks there's a bit of 'Allo 'Allo about it, my Spanish is native :-)

I've broadcast in Italian & French, whilst for names in languages I don't speak, I try to do what every commentator should - look them up!

Robert Hatch ‏@robhatchtv 3h
    Hope that clears a few things up for those asking questions & that you continue to enjoy! Thanks!

One more little thing to clear up; @AG2RLAMONDIALEc pronounced 'Ah Jay Deux Air' by all other language commentators. Italy & Rai 1 e.g. :)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Ha! Fair play Senor Hatch :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Didn't see it, but I take it Rob Hatch does an American accent every time he pronounces "team 5 hour energy presented by Kenda", right?
    Personally, I prefer a commentator who is polite enough to try and pronounce someone's name correctly rather than one who panders to the sensibilities of the jingoistic locals but ymmv.

It's not either/or. You can pronounce a name correctly without sounding like something from The Fast Show.
    Except, on the whole, he generally does pronounce the names correctly, certainly the French ones. But, whatever, if it upsets you so much, whinge away.

I know we've had this debate before but for me it's not the pronunciation of foreign names correctly (which I agree is good manners) but the 'allo ' allo accent he uses and then the fairly pointless pronunciation of AG2R as ay jhay deux air. Also, some things such as place names it is surely acceptable to pronounce in your normal way e.g. I wouldn't expect an English speaking commentator to pronounce Paris as Paree, likewise I wouldn't expect a French commentator to say London rather than Londres (and do it in a Dick van Dyke accent). It's a shame as I think he is the best commentator on Eurosport.
    I didn't plan on getting involved any further in this debate but it appears Rob Hatch reads this forum.

One thing I did spot whilst searching for your views was a comment on the @bikeradar forum regarding pronunciation of rider names. :-)

I've kept my counsel on this subject for a while, but for anybody who thinks there's a bit of 'Allo 'Allo about it, my Spanish is native :-)

I've broadcast in Italian & French, whilst for names in languages I don't speak, I try to do what every commentator should - look them up!

Hope that clears a few things up for those asking questions & that you continue to enjoy! Thanks!

One more little thing to clear up; @AG2RLAMONDIALEc pronounced 'Ah Jay Deux Air' by all other language commentators. Italy & Rai 1 e.g. :)

Well you wouldn't expect him to say otherwise would you? I already assumed he spoke the languages but there's still no need for the accent. As I say, I wouldn't expect a French commentator, commentating in French, to go into Fluent English with Mockney / Old Etonian accent to pronounce British names. I don't think it is disrespectful in anyway to pronounce words in the standard form for the commentary language e.g. I wouldn't expect Europcar to be pronounced oo-rope-car. Incidently, how is AG2R pronounced in Italian?

Keep up the good work though Rob, as I said above foreign pronunciation apart probably the best commentator on Eurosport (and should be doing the Giro).
  • garyhoop1
    garyhoop1 Posts: 44
    Watch videos from this year Tour of California here - http://bit.ly/12xCJoE
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    2_Andy_finishes_9.jpg

2_Sagan_Flirting_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    stage1gilbert620.jpg

hydration620.jpg

stage1win620.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “Yesterday was fucking brutal,” said Brammeier.

“I have never experienced heat like it in my life, never mind raced in it. I had an average temperature of 43 degrees and a max of 51 on the last climb. There were a few guys in some pretty big trouble at the finish, some even collapsing from their bikes and being rushed to hospital. It was unbelievable. One guy was sat on the ground with a heart rate of 210,” he added.

Brammeier even questioned whether it was right that the race went ahead.

“If you tell me that’s still cycling then I call you a mad man,” he said.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... te-of-210/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Andy on the break today heh..
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It is a little ironic that two Irish riders are coping with the heat reasonably well in the Tour of California, not withstanding the fact that after the finish, Philip Deignan had to be carried into the UCI caravan to provide his sample.

DD.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Lightning wrote:
    Andy on the break today heh..

Sounds like he's doing the whole neo-pro thing again to try and rediscover himself.
  • Pross
    Just producing a sample yesterday must have been an ordeal!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited May 2013
    Pross wrote:
    Well you wouldn't expect him to say otherwise would you? I already assumed he spoke the languages but there's still no need for the accent. As I say, I wouldn't expect a French commentator, commentating in French, to go into Fluent English with Mockney / Old Etonian accent to pronounce British names. I don't think it is disrespectful in anyway to pronounce words in the standard form for the commentary language e.g. I wouldn't expect Europcar to be pronounced oo-rope-car. Incidently, how is AG2R pronounced in Italian?
    i have to say that I find AG2R pronounced as English abbreviation sound very strange. It's a French company. Perhaps because I tend to watch sporza where it is pronounced the French way, not dutch. I agree about Paris and suchr, but there's a limited set of placenames with an established English 'version'. In general i always prefer people to make an effort - i still dont quite get this British tendency to equate trying to speak foreign langages with pretentiousness. BTW, Rob Hatch's pronounciation of Gesink is very decent for a non-native, nothing 'hallo 'hallo' about it..
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Why doesnt Robbie Hatch be a man and just come out and say he's really DJ Tony Blackburn. who else talks like that in a "put on" voice apart from that other halfwit Jim White on Sky Sports.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    (sure it's been said already) We all say Paree-Roubaix and Paree-Nice, don't we? Ag2r is no different.

IMO.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It's good to see Andy Schleck stretching his legs out front. He may not be in contention for this year's Tour, perhaps, but hopefully he will come back to his best for next year.

DD.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Why doesnt Robbie Hatch be a man and just come out and say he's really DJ Tony Blackburn. who else talks like that in a "put on" voice apart from that other halfwit Jim White on Sky Sports.
    Talking of half-wits... Ignore number two. I'm on a roll.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    That was a tough win for Sagan there, had to go round a few people to get that one
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Pross
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    i have to say that I find AG2R pronounced as English abbreviation sound very strange. It's a French company. Perhaps because I tend to watch sporza where it is pronounced the French way, not dutch. I agree about Paris and suchr, but there's a limited set of placenames with an established English 'version'. In general i always prefer people to make an effort - i still dont quite get this British tendency to equate trying to speak foreign langages with pretentiousness. BTW, Rob Hatch's pronounciation of Gesink is very decent for a non-native, nothing 'hallo 'hallo' about it..

I'm not suggesting it's pretentious, I certainly agree on pronouncing people's names and the lack of effort people put into Dutch / Scandinavian names in particular. Listening to English sports media pronouncing Retief Goosen's name really annoys me although he is actually on record as saying for an English speaker, even in SA, they would say Goose-en and that he prefers it that way as at least it sounds right. I think I spent too long working with a Saffa as I always try to say those Dutch names properly (whether I do our not is another matter). I don't do it in a Dutch accent though. Maybe it isn't possible to pronounce some names without reverting into a regional accent? I'm not saying it is bad to do it but it's just a silly thing that I find a bit irritating on the commentary and judging by these pages I'm not the only one.
  • Pross
    Was good to see Andy actually racing yesterday. Yet another messy sprint lead out, good to see Thor up there but there's no-one there capable of beating Sagan in the sprint even when he gets boxed.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    How tough is the Tour of California, cant believe how hot it is!

And how come the coverage of the races is so much better?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Pross
    I suspect the coverage is better as it's easy for the cameras to follow the race on those lovely wide roads, they don't have as many deep valleys, heavily wooded areas and tunnels to affect the signal relay and the weather is perfect plus, of course, they have the best available commentator covering it. I suspect the US TV companies have better kit too!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    DNS for Pip Gilbert today as he heads back home to be with wife Patricia who's expecting their second child any time now.

Break of 6 riders from local teams has 2'45" on the main field as they head through a feed zone with 60km to go. Likely to be another sprint finish today. Chance for Farrar or will Sagan get back to back stage wins?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    goonz wrote:
    How tough is the Tour of California, cant believe how hot it is!

And how come the coverage of the races is so much better?

Wait for Colorado. Their coverage is a shambles.
    Today the temp is around 70F and it's 135km of mostly downhill.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Good sprint victory for Tyler Farrar with Hanson & Meersman second and third. Boekmans fourth and Sagan, who seemed to start from too far back, fifth. Hushovd and Chavanel made top 10.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Farrar.... won a... sprint?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    pretty tired looking bunch....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm