Tour of California - Spoiler thread

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited May 2013 in Pro race
20 km left in stage 1. Carter Jones of BissellCycling & Jim Stemper of 5hourEnergyTeam with 3:20 on the field. Will they make it?

Cannondale did some chasing but seem to have given up!

Comments

• RonB
    Pace hotting up in the main field and Gilbert has had enough for the day. Good to see Andy Schleck on the attack!

Louis Romero down hard but back on his bike.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Andy's looking good.
  • RonB
    Going to be all together in a mo for a sprint finish. Around 5km to go.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Yep, looks likes Sagan is struggling? missed the earlier parts though so might have been a mechanical issue.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RonB
    Westra and Mancebo out front with 3km to go. No organisation behind them so far.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Thank f Mancebo didn't win.
  • RonB
    Westra takes it from Mancebo then a time gap to the group. Sagan 3rd and Meersman in 4th.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Decent race from what I saw.

Commentary seemed awesome in comparison to what we've had to put up with so far in the Giro.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ThomThom wrote:
    Thank f Mancebo didn't win.

+1
  • Richmond Racer
    DeadCalm wrote:

Commentary seemed awesome in comparison to what we've had to put up with so far in the Giro.

I find commentators being able to accurately identify riders a real bonus myself. Can we beg Hatch to do an assignment swap with Quigley?
  • RonB
    DeadCalm wrote:

Pretty good job by Smith & Hatch. Camera work better too, but I guess the roads (& the weather) make that more straightforward.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Didn't see it, but I take it Rob Hatch does an American accent every time he pronounces "team 5 hour energy presented by Kenda", right?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DeadCalm wrote:

I find commentators being able to accurately identify riders a real bonus myself. Can we beg Hatch to do an assignment swap with Quigley?
    It's a lot easier to identify riders in a race in bright sunshine on a nice big HD screen in the Eurosport studios than it is to pick out riders wearing rain jackets in the pouring rain on a pokey little monitor in a converted cargo container.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    DeadCalm wrote:

Not in Australia. We've got the Statler and Waldorf audio feed. They misidentified Westra as Flecha for about 3km :roll:
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I hope Mancebo wins the overall. Racer.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Not with a 20 mile TT there and he's not really all that great a racer in 2012-13, he's good but can be equally shite.

Chuffed for Michael Torckler. Nearly died in a hit and run last year just after signing with Bissell (which was only revealed when he was in hospital), finished in the group including the favourites. He should be one of the top climbing helpers for Carter Jones but can ride his own race, though his TT's like a valium overdosed Andy Schleck.
  • RonB
    Speculation day for the Giro so here is some info on today's 200km second stage, which features a 5.8km/ 9% hill to the finish nr Palm Springs.

2013ATOCMapStage_2d.pdf
    2013ATOCProfileStage_2d.pdf
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Sporza quotes Westra as saying 'I didn't know the rider who was with me, but he was very strong'. Interesting times where a 5 time Tour de France top 10 rider can be unknown to a European pro who has been around for some time
  • Richmond Racer
    FJS wrote:
    Sporza quotes Westra as saying 'I didn't know the rider who was with me, but he was very strong'. Interesting times where a 5 time Tour de France top 10 rider can be unknown to a European pro who has been around for some time

Probably doesnt have a sub to 'Dodgy Cyclists Weekly'
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Ted King's Strava for stage 1 - http://app.strava.com/activities/53897356
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    FJS wrote:

Lol.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    patchy wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Not in Australia. We've got the Statler and Waldorf audio feed. They misidentified Westra as Flecha for about 3km :roll:

Must have been listening to Sherwen and Liggett on live feed - they did too
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    patchy wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Must have been listening to Sherwen and Liggett on live feed - they did too

Who did you think the Waldorf and Statler referred to? :wink:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Yep, looks likes Sagan is struggling? missed the earlier parts though so might have been a mechanical issue.
    Sagan did have a mechanical towards the end. Afterwards he said he had cramp as they approached the finish and also ...
    ”I’m not used to the heat here, in Europe it’s much colder“

It wasn’t that hot there yesterday, only about 20 deg C I think, but I suppose he might find it warm, given how unseasonally cool it still is here.
  • DeadCalm
    knedlicky wrote:
    Sagan did have a mechanical towards the end. Afterwards he said he had cramp as they approached the finish and also ...

It wasn’t that hot there yesterday, only about 20 deg C I think, but I suppose he might find it warm, given how unseasonally cool it still is here.

Are you sure about the temperature? The guys in the break seemed to be pouring water over themselves almost continuously. It definitely looked pretty warm.
  • Richmond Racer
    Temps hit 100F...and its forecast to get even hotter

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/05/ ... ton_286346
  • DeadCalm
    Yep, Gilbert is blaming the heat on his poor showing.

PHILIPPE GILBERT ‏@PhilippeGilbert 11h
    I was one of the victim of this terrible hot day! #jetlag is also not my friend. #cramps #moraldown
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    knedlicky wrote:

Try double that ;)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    DeadCalm wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Are you sure about the temperature? The guys in the break seemed to be pouring water over themselves almost continuously. It definitely looked pretty warm.
    Oops, my mistake. :oops:
    When I read what Sagan had had to say, I looked up the current temperature at Escondido (where the stage started and finished) and forgot that there it’s about 5 am in the morning!

Richmond Racer is right in her info.
    But Sagan’s right about Europe too - only 10 deg C in May! :shock:
  • Richmond Racer
    'Michael Fish' Knedlicky :wink: