Giro Stage 1 - Spoiler Thread

12346»

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Trying to explain to our guests this afternoon just why that was such an awesome sprint, they were like whatever, so i banged on about it anyway, then I drank some more.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Trying to explain to our guests this afternoon just why that was such an awesome sprint, they were like whatever, so i banged on about it anyway, then I drank some more.

Aha, the old talking to friends about the intricacies of sprinting thing, or anything else to do with cycling for that matter. Everyone's taking an interest these days, until we start talking and they get bored... :wink:
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

Then did you sit there pretending to be interested about whatever it was they changed the subject to, whilst not really being able to think of anything other than Cav being brilliant in warm Italian sunshine?
    Been there so many times!
    Perhaps right now you're dredging up your favourite YouTube clips as they scramble for their coats and the door...?
    Despite today's stage being largely a bit of a dull procession, it's set a few things up quite nicely and has possibly raised more questions than it's answered (in the non-GC area, anyway)...

I'm sure someone could do a good re-edit of some of Cav's wins (particularly sans lead-out) with some comedy sound effects from a Wile E Coyote Vs Roadrunner cartoon (old car horns and Swanee whistles, etc), or perhaps Foghorn Leghorn... Thought that was either stupid or cynical from Hondo.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just saw the overhead. Bosh!!

Different league to the others there.

Are we coming around to the idea that electronic shifting isn't reliable enough yet??
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Fair enough.

Take it back then.

It's a good lesson for manufacturers. The public need reliability even more than pros do. So sort it out!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    No Rick, we re not...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    knedlicky wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Cannondale tactics nearly got Viviani in, OPQ lead out train doesn't cut the mustard
    I thought Cannondale were up front too far out, leaving Viviani on his own too early, so was a bit surprised, and glad, when he was still there at the finish. I expect they'll learn and improve. They did look strong, but need the right timing.

Will be interesting to see how they continue. They know Cav has the outright speed, maybe they feel that Viviani can stay in the red zone for a bit longer and that is the only way to beat that sudden burst of pace.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    mroli wrote:
    OPQS are on Sram though aren't they (as noted above)?

Yep, Sram Red according to the GCN video I watched yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdpyKgxEjZA
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Pross wrote:
    Did Bouhanni get relegated? I still can't work out why he was shoulder barging Blythe, it's not like he moved off his line and there was loads of road. Bernie may have gone a bit OTT but Bouhanni does look a bit of a liability.

He was being ironic - a reference to Renshaw in the Tour.

Impressive sprinting by Cav there.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Cav seems to suggest that Sram is to blame for the mechanical problems, well that's how I interpret the interview.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that one of the group sets is regarded as a bit cr4p by the peloton. Wonder which one that might be then.
  • ed_209
    ed_209 Posts: 17
    It seems bizarre that pros are getting held up by something as easy as gearshifting. Was there any comeback after Wiggins had his nightmare at Giro Trentino when gear problems dropped him from the lead group? I notice he's running mechanical Dura Ace on his timetrial bike today.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    He says "Gert had mechanical problems again, it's happened too many times this year..."

How in the name of all that's holy is that suggesting that SRAM is to blame?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ed_209 wrote:
    I notice he's running mechanical Dura Ace on his timetrial bike today.

He always uses mechanical shifters on his TT bike, it gives him extra length on the bars.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but how did Steegmans manage to ship his chain shifting up one gear? I could understand some issues shifting from the big chain ring to the small, but one sprocket?!
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Macaloon wrote:
    Sean Kelly sounding relaxed, engaged and positively loquacious. I'm enjoying this coverage immensely.

Have to agree. Perhaps it's because Declan asks Sean a question and gives him time to answer. Also asks his opinion etc. Really enjoying commentary thus far. :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Bouhanni did a great job in the sprint. I was all eyes on him the whole way and it was great viewing. Pretty boy Eisel should know that Nacer was a boxer.

Screenshot_2013-05-04-20-09-20.png
    Contador is the Greatest