Giro Stage 1 - Spoiler Thread

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ThomThom wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Prologues make for chronically dull TV viewing.

Prologues make sure we don't have 5-10 key riders crashed out by the first day or two...

Eh? Crashes always happen in the first few days regardless of whether there's a prologue.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The commentary is terrible.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited May 2013
    afx237vi wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Prologues make sure we don't have 5-10 key riders crashed out by the first day or two...

Eh? Crashes always happen in the first few days regardless of whether there's a prologue.

Sure they do. But when 207 riders have the somewhat same interests compared to only a few after a prologue it's bound to create chaos as we saw a couple of years ago in the Tour. It's good that it's a flat stage followed by a TTT or it could turn into a right mess - more than usual.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,603
    Wiggins looks ripped to the bone. Check out those arms. Pure function.
    IMG-2648_2939154.jpg
    I'm more worried about the pavement cycling. I bet he just went through a red light too. And he doesn't pay road tax. Bloody cyclists.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ThomThom wrote:
    Sure they do. But when 207 riders have the somewhat same interests compared to only a few after a prologue it's bound to create chaos as we saw a couple of years ago in the Tour. It's good that it's a flat stage followed by a TTT or it could turn into a right mess - more than usual.

Strong point. The time bonuses also make it less likely that an opportunist could hold jersey for a few days.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ThomThom wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Not sure I agree with that. It's the same people going for the stage today as it would be if there'd been a prologue. It's not as if Hesjedal and Wiggins are going to be up there because there's a jersey on offer.
  • Macaloon
    The commentary is terrible.

Sean Kelly speaking in chapters instead of syllables: what's up with that?
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Not many spectators! Must still be lunchtime!
  • thomthom
    afx237vi wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Not sure I agree with that. It's the same people going for the stage today as it would be if there'd been a prologue. It's not as if Hesjedal and Wiggins are going to be up there because there's a jersey on offer.

That's why I wrote it was good it's a flat stage today. What you said was 'Prologues make for chronically dull TV viewing.' Not just this giro's prologue, right.. ;)

Imagine the fight for position if this stage had an uphill finish. It would go down completly.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Which key riders have crashed out today? I am not watching it. Will tune in with 3km to race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • garyhoop1
    garyhoop1 Posts: 44
    Watch videos from this year Giro here http://bit.ly/137KqEf
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Wiggins looks ripped to the bone. Check out those arms. Pure function.
    IMG-2648_2939154.jpg

IMG-2705_2939158.jpg

Are those pics from today? Wiggo riding Di2 after all?
  • Macaloon
    Why is Tony Martin not riding? Preparing for the Tour instead? Why not do both as leadout/TT/Stage-hunter?
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I'm in France and my whilst I subscribe to Eurosport I'm only getting the French Eurosport on my i-pad here. They aren't showing the Giro!!!! Any idea how I can watch it live?
  • Macaloon
    All sorts of steams available via http://www.cyclingfans.com & http://www.steephill.tv
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    anyone spotted Cav yet-white or black helmet?Can never see him in the bunch.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Criterium crash fest.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    This isn't very interesting is it?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    First GC race I can remember where I don't care who wins. I don't even know who to back 100% but Sanchez and Nibali are my favourites here. Lots of individual riders to follow for individual stage wins though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    nevman wrote:

Black... that horrible new Spesh one
    www.dotcycling.com
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    nevman wrote:

Black helmet, shouting at his train to slow down for a bit!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    nevman wrote:

Black helmeted Cav.

Glad I made the decision to go out on a long ride today rather than watch the whole of this. It's sad when crashes and punchers are the most exciting things going on.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • thomthom
    emadden wrote:
    nevman wrote:

Black... that horrible new Spesh one

For a guy who cares so much about his wear on and off the bike I'm suprised he'd wear such an awful helmet.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    [
    Glad I made the decision to go out on a long ride today rather than watch the whole of this. It's sad when crashes and punchers are the most exciting things going on.
    Ride in the morning sofa in the afternoon - can always sleep through the boring bits...
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Naples ticks all the boxes for me-pizzas,Peroni`s and pros....Pro Cycling. :lol:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    *lets the kids watch Fireman Sam for a bit
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    edited May 2013
    Have the Mafia local instructed the road work department to not sweep the roads?? Punctures galore. :?

Think they have forgot to resurface the roads too. Might be some crashes on the last lap, nasty corners. Tricky course.

I have been on the train from Rome to Salerno and Naples looked like a dump from the train.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Have to say not a great fan of this circuit style opening to a race that promises quite a fight, but guess its always going to be hard for the opening stage unless they bring back a TT, TTT type start.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Have to say not a great fan of this circuit style opening to a race that promises quite a fight, but guess its always going to be hard for the opening stage unless they bring back a TT, TTT type start.

A great opener would be a TTT hillclimb over 2km :-) Imagine the carnage!!!
    www.dotcycling.com
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    oneof1982 wrote:
    [
    Ride in the morning sofa in the afternoon - can always sleep through the boring bits...

Well yes that was the plan but I also forgot to mention that I didn't have any clean kit and so had to wash and dry some shorts and a jersey before I could go out... :shock: My housekeeping is shoddy. :oops:
    Correlation is not causation.