Tips and help for a first time offroader.

123457»

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Iirc term is swing arm not drop out. Also getting laid on a bikes very hard trust me!

its scary your doing 19 GCSEs I did 11 and struggled. Many stuggled in the two day art exam perving at the very tasty teacher we had but even so 19 is excessive how can you have that many subjects!

Back on topic I spotted someone on another forum had his bike coated an they masked off everything so when he picked it up all he had to do was re assemble it. May see about that and spray the smaller bits (brake adaptors mainly) myself.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I hate having a crappy teacher...its the worst thing imaginable. And i hate it when they assume you understand everything and just rush through the whole syllabus! Im in Triple Science so they just rush everything...proper annoying.

Swing arm, thats right. Sorry!

I actually had 24 to start with. Done 5 now, so 19 left. and all 24 will be done in a space of exactly a month and a day. Complete and utter HORSESH1T! Thats not all either, ive had some GCSEs that i did earlier in the year too, and if you count all of those ones up its 29 exams in year 11 alone...i bloody hate it...

About spraying, its a bad idea to spray a headset. Haha. It got damaged quite a bit in the installing process, i dont have a press so i had to use a block of wood and hammer. I installed it then took it out and put an extra coat of red to cover up the bits where it chipped off, and then i added 2 coats of lacquer and let it dry. Damage the 2nd time round was drastically reduced. I sanded the fork a little and used 1 coat of primer (ran out halfway through 2nd coat) and 3 coats of red. No problems!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    edited May 2013
    Step83 wrote:
    Also getting laid on a bikes very hard trust me!

Not in my experience, lol. :wink:
    its scary your doing 19 GCSEs I did 11 and struggled.

I think he just means 19 exams (not much, if they're only an hour long), rather than 19 subjects.
    Back on topic I spotted someone on another forum had his bike coated an they masked off everything so when he picked it up all he had to do was re assemble it. May see about that and spray the smaller bits (brake adaptors mainly) myself.

Any decent coater will mask anything that needs masking (head tube, bottom bracket, seat tube, any screw threads etc) after stripping the frame (they use a bath of really evil chemicals) and blasting. Often you'll need to clean up the edges a little by running a stanley blade across them flat, and it's always best to run a tap through any threads before screwing anything into them. If they coat any areas that you wanted bare then it's a sod to get off (much harder than paint - no chemicals you can buy over the counter will strip powdercoat). Some coaters reomove the masking, others leave it on and you have to remove it yourself (which is time consuming, so coaters that remove it all tend to charge more). For simple colours and small parts powdercoat's so cheap it's not worth messing about painting stuff yourself. £20 of satin black here - it'd cost you that in materials to spray them yourself, and the finish would be nowhere near as durable (you can see the masking tape still on the shock absorber mount, bottom right and in the pivots of the brake and gear levers):

130520112530_zps4da3ae8c.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    About spraying, its a bad idea to spray a headset. Haha. It got damaged quite a bit in the installing process, i dont have a press so i had to use a block of wood and hammer.

Make a simple DIY drawbolt tool. Take a length of M12 threaded rod and lock two nuts together at one end. Then add some large diameter washers. Pass that through the headset and head tube then add more washers at the other end, followed by another M12 nut, then tighten that down finger tight. Then take two 19mm spanners. Hold the locked nuts at one end with one spanner and tighten the nut at the other end with the other spanner. This will press the headset in to the head tube without damaging anything. That's how I do headstock and swingarm bearings at home (I don't have a hydraulic press either). Only costs a few pence, and works nearly as well as the equivalent professional tools.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Nono, ofcourse im not taking 19 subjects. LOL! when i say 24/19 GCSEs i meant the exams. They are much, because some exams are back to back, for example, because im triple science i get one exam paper thats an hour long, and as soon as thats finished i get a triple science syllabus paper which is also an hour long, and harder then the first. So its essentially a 2 hour exam. English is the same for when im doing literature.

Thats bloody cheap!!! So far i havent been dissatisfied with my DIY paint jobs. The only time i have been dissatisfied is when i went for a matt white finish. That was a horrible colour. It had a rough texture to it and it just didnt look good at all. Other than that though its been fine. Theres a car body spray shop around the corner from me, i might go down there and ask them if they would paint a few parts for me. Maybe a retro Raleigh frame.

Im aware of this homemade press, i saw it somewhere a while back. It is very smart indeed. I wanted the headset in today though so the hammer and block had to do.

If im going from black to metallic red, would normal grey primer do the trick? It worked fine with the fork that i did, but would it be different for a metallic red?
  • Kowalski675
    because im triple science

Not sure what you mean by that? I did maths in one year instead of two, so had one less subject to sit through when the final exams came round.
    Thats bloody cheap!!!

Powdercoating is cheap. Wet painting is much more expensive as it's much more labour intensive.
    Im aware of this homemade press, i saw it somewhere a while back. It is very smart indeed. I wanted the headset in today though so the hammer and block had to do.'

Butcher, lol. :lol:
    If im going from black to metallic red, would normal grey primer do the trick? It worked fine with the fork that i did, but would it be different for a metallic red?
    [/quote]

If it's a solid metallic grey primer will be fine. You'll need lacquer over a metallic though.
  • step83
    Ill have a word with some coaters locally. Question will be what colour?
  • Kowalski675
    Step83 wrote:
    Question will be what colour?

That's always the hard part, lol. Would be even harder if we got all the trick powders they have in the USA.
  • gt-arrowhead
    because im triple science

Not sure what you mean by that? I did maths in one year instead of two, so had one less subject to sit through when the final exams came round.
    Thats bloody cheap!!!

Powdercoating is cheap. Wet painting is much more expensive as it's much more labour intensive.
    Im aware of this homemade press, i saw it somewhere a while back. It is very smart indeed. I wanted the headset in today though so the hammer and block had to do.'

Butcher, lol. :lol:

If it's a solid metallic grey primer will be fine. You'll need lacquer over a metallic though.[/quote]

Triple Science is having an extra set of topics being taught to you in the same amount of time that the less "able" students get taught the normal stuff. People in the lower sets just have the one exam this year, whereas students in Triple Science have two. Theres 2 exams in all the sciences, and doing triple means all of the extra work amounts to an extra exam for each science, so 3 exams in total.

Haha. It felt a bit like being a butcher now you mention it.

Ill make sure i buy that primer, ive got none left. Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions, but would just a "clear lacquer" do the trick? Or do i need some other sort of primer for the metallic paint.
  • Kowalski675
    Triple Science is having an extra set of topics being taught to you in the same amount of time that the less "able" students get taught the normal stuff. People in the lower sets just have the one exam this year, whereas students in Triple Science have two. Theres 2 exams in all the sciences, and doing triple means all of the extra work amounts to an extra exam for each science, so 3 exams in total.

So it's all this combined science malarkey these days? In my day we did separate chemistry, biology and phsysics (and had dinosaurs walking past the windows...)
    Haha. It felt a bit like being a butcher now you mention it.

You should, lol. Shocking behaviour.
    Ill make sure i buy that primer, ive got none left. Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions, but would just a "clear lacquer" do the trick? Or do i need some other sort of primer for the metallic paint.

If it's a solid metallic then regular primer and clear lacquer are fine.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Sorry for my poor explanation. They are all separate sciences, we have separate lessons for each three. Triple science means that there is extra work that gets added on to each of those 3 sciences. Dinosaurs? You old g1t :lol:

You shoudve seen my neighbors shocking behavior. Im in the garden drinking my tea waiting for my fork to dry and then he decides to start cutting stone slabs and dust just fills the air. Couldnt have that! Had to run into the shed holding my fork by the steerer!

Thanks for that :)
  • Kowalski675
    You didn't fancy a nice textured finish then, lol?
  • gt-arrowhead
    Fk that, though a bit of stone dust would have strengthened the fork somewhat. :D
  • step83
    stone is heavy, heavy is bad!

I was out today and got thoroughly annoyed going down hills all i can hear is my rear brake cable twanging off the frame. lots of nice rubbing marks so ive bought some clear all weather repair tape which looks nice an thick and some nice long double sided velcro like the stuff you get with a muckynutz fender. So protect the frame and clamp the cables in place, no more twanging!
  • gt-arrowhead
    I have no spare time to do proper riding :( Long wait before i can do that...
  • Kowalski675
    Your mum always makes time for a proper riding...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Your mum always makes time for a proper riding...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: