Tour de Romandie *spoilers*

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    adr82 wrote:
    Don't know about Hesjedal but Talansky went out the back during some of the initial attacks on the climb (while Porte was still with Froome IIRC).

Hesjedal retired yesterday to "prepare for Giro"
  • alan_a
    Very disappointed with SKY TV's coverage. 4 ad breaks on final climb, missed Martin being caught and Froome catching break.

'twas all very confusing.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Alan A wrote:
    Very disappointed with SKY TV's coverage. 4 ad breaks on final climb, missed Martin being caught and Froome catching break.

In their defence they've a quota of ads to use over the course of 90 minutes and the race was well ahead of schedule because of the route change. Eurosport would have done no better. It wasn't at the vital point but during the Tour of Turkey this week, they took a break after being on air for 2 minutes!
  • alan_a
    Alan A wrote:

In their defence they've a quota of ads to use over the course of 90 minutes and the race was well ahead of schedule because of the route change. Eurosport would have done no better. It wasn't at the vital point but during the Tour of Turkey this week, they took a break after being on air for 2 minutes!

Eurosport are excellent at front loading the adverts early in the race. Harmon readily admits this in his commentary.
  • argyllflyer
    Alan A wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

Eurosport are excellent at front loading the adverts early in the race. Harmon readily admits this in his commentary.

And if the race is well ahead of schedule then they can't do that, Sky resorted to showing yesterday's stage again to fill the 45 minutes or so of dead air time.
  • alan_a
    If you have a SKY SPORTS subscription you pay to watch the sport not the adverts.

Do you miss out on key moments of football or rugby matches for adverts? No.

Eurosport & ITV4's business models are different so I'll cut them some slack.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited April 2013
    Alan A wrote:

Alan A wrote:

And if the race is well ahead of schedule then they can't do that, Sky resorted to showing yesterday's stage again to fill the 45 minutes or so of dead air time.

Pardon me, but didn't you cancel Sky Sports, because of the cost and you weren't watching it? :|
    You seem to have done a U turn, since January with regard to your opinion of Sky.
    Hard to fathom why you now seem to be defending their ad fest production.

In fairness to Eurosport, they rarely place one short ad break when tackling the finale climb, let alone
    several.

What Sky seem to be delivering is the host coverage, (as with all companies) Eurosport's borrowed commentators, but with more adverts.
    All for a bargain 200 quid a year more.

Not really feelin' the love, here.
    Alan A wrote:
    If you have a SKY SPORTS subscription you pay to watch the sport not the adverts.

Do you miss out on key moments of football or rugby matches for adverts? No.

Eurosport & ITV4's business models are different so I'll cut them some slack.

What folks don't appear to grasp (or not care about) is that Sky are the ONLY ppv company that do this.
    The UK shaft once again.
    No ads on other country's ppv tv options.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's a bit mad they make you watch full length 3 minute ad slots after £24 a month.

Sky should start separating football prices and other sports.

At least Eurosport ads are quite short.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Stage 4 Results
    SLO 1 SPILAK, Simon (KATUSHA) 5:10:00
    GBR 2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING)
    POR 3 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 1:03
    ESP 4 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR TEAM)
    NED 5 KELDERMAN, Wilco (BLANCO PRO CYCLING)
    COL 6 BETANCUR GOMEZ, Carlos Alberto (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
    SUI 7 WYSS, Marcel (IAM CYCLING)
    FRA 8 PERAUD, Jean-Christophe (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
    CRO 9 KISERLOVSKI, Robert (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD)
    ESP 10 ANTON HERNANDEZ, Igor (EUSKALTEL EUSKADI)

General Classification after Stage 4
    GBR 1 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) 19:03:10
    SLO 2 SPILAK, Simon (KATUSHA) + 47
    POR 3 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 1:21
    CRO 4 KISERLOVSKI, Robert (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 1:22
    FRA 5 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ) + 1:26
    ESP 6 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR TEAM)
    USA 7 DANIELSON, Thomas (GARMIN SHARP)
    NED 8 KELDERMAN, Wilco (BLANCO PRO CYCLING) + 1:27
    COL 9 BETANCUR GOMEZ, Carlos Alberto (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 1:28
    SUI 10 WYSS, Marcel (IAM CYCLING) + 1:43
  • argyllflyer
    Pardon me, but didn't you cancel Sky Sports, because of the cost and you weren't watching it? :|
    You seem to have done a U turn, since January with regard to your opinion of Sky.
    Hard to fathom why you now seem to be defending their ad fest production.

In fairness to Eurosport, they rarely place one short ad break when tackling the finale climb, let alone
    several.

What Sky seem to be delivering is the host coverage, (as with all companies) Eurosport's borrowed commentators, but with more adverts.
    All for a bargain 200 quid a year more.

Not really feelin' the love, here.

I have no idea of the ins and outs of Sky's commercial model, but they put ads in all of their live sport. The problem with cycling is that there are no natural pauses unless it's early on in the race or a sprint stage. Last time I watched live football on it, they took a break just before kick off, straight after half time, another before the second half and another just after full time, so 4 ads in 105 minutes of coverage. As a regular watcher of Eurosport who do throw the ads in, albeit not in the last stages, they don't bother me. I don't believe Sky Sports would have taken a break so often in the last 19km today had the race ran to schedule.

I cancelled Sky Sports in the summer after being a subscriber for about 10 years because I wasn't watching much on it (mainly because I was watching so much cycling on Eurosport) and didn't want to subscribe solely for the TDU. The lie of the land has changed a bit with Romandie and Tour de Suisse being hoovered up, as well as all of the Belgian classics and Italian races they've been showing, and I imagine it's only the beginning of their rights grab. I am often out at work when races are on so watching streams is not viable. I want to see these races and unfortunately that means resubscribing. There are aspects of the coverage that are annoying, but I'm sure the more people that watch, the more interest they'll have in providing a better product. If Sky cut back on the cycling, I'll cut my subscription once again.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Froome did me out of max PTP points , the sauce

On the other hand, he rode like a boss.

So on balance he's forgiven
  • blazing_saddles
    Other than the top two, tomorrow's ITT will completely
    change not just the top 10, but the top 30.
    Wot a race.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Other than the top two, tomorrow's ITT will completely
    change not just the top 10, but the top 30.
    Wot a race.

Just my luck that one of the only races I haven't got is the good one! If I had subscribed it would have been pap though :mrgreen:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Hold the phone, pay as you go day pass for sky sports and an individual time trial on tomorrow you say? Just seen the advert for nowtv
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    Just finished watching yesterday's recording. It says that today's TT will be shown on Sky Sports 3 at 12:30pm. Just checked, on that channel from 11:00am - 6:00pm is county champion ship cricket. The only time I can see it on is at 7:30pm on Sky Sports 4! Looks like we're not getting it live :!: :?:
  • argyllflyer
    Inutero wrote:
    Just finished watching yesterday's recording. It says that today's TT will be shown on Sky Sports 3 at 12:30pm. Just checked, on that channel from 11:00am - 6:00pm is county champion ship cricket. The only time I can see it on is at 7:30pm on Sky Sports 4! Looks like we're not getting it live :!: :?:

It's on the red button on Sky Sports 3. If you press the 'i' symbol just now on the cricket, it says it starts at 12.30pm.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    generally without talking business models, the coverage has felt far better on eurosport, the talking in the studio is a bit annoying generally! oh we did get to see ian stanard though...althoguh we did all think he looked like he had a hard night on the tiles!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • argyllflyer
    ianbar wrote:
    generally without talking business models, the coverage has felt far better on eurosport, the talking in the studio is a bit annoying generally! oh we did get to see ian stanard though...althoguh we did all think he looked like he had a hard night on the tiles!

Have Sky done live cycling before with their own presenters? The TDU coverage in 2012 as far as I recall was completely outsourced (from US/Aus?). I didn't see it this year.

There's plenty of room for improvement, I agree, but I'll give them the chance to up their game. The cheap option of buying in an international feed is one thing I'd like to see go.
  • argyllflyer
    Nifty wee interactive leaderboard here:

http://www.matsport.fr.php53-23.ord1-1. ... 05&Lang=Fr
  • blazing_saddles
    Live now started on the host station.
    Saw that Sky "appeared" not to have live coverage.
    Red button HD or not?

Magnus has said he's doing the Tour of Norway for Eurosport.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I'm so happy I pay for Sky Go so I don't have access to this, and get to use illegal streams instead.
  • argyllflyer
    It's on SkyGo channel 499
  • argyllflyer
    Live now started on the host station.
    Saw that Sky "appeared" not to have live coverage.
    Red button HD or not?

Magnus has said he's doing the Tour of Norway for Eurosport.

It's not HD on the red button, but will be shown in HD later on repeat
  • Turfle
    It's on SkyGo channel 499

Thank you!

You are far more useful than Sky twitter people.
  • blazing_saddles
    Ta. Thought it was only available in SD.
    Not surprised Malori is the early leader..............I doubt he'll be the late leader.

.........I'm not actually watching, but recording RTS HD and at Turkey with 20 kms to go.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I'm feeling a serious lack of interest in Romandie this year, is this due to no Eurosport coverage?
  • Turfle
    Bit of a post-classics pre-Giro lull I think.
  • blazing_saddles
    Martin on course to take half a minute out of Malori's time.
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    I'm feeling a serious lack of interest in Romandie this year, is this due to no Eurosport coverage?

Must be, considering now well Team Sky have done.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    PeteMadoc wrote:

I think the race was over after the prologue.