Tour de Romandie *spoilers*

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    yes, gasparotto 2
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Despite those attacks no changes at the top of the GC. Looking at the profile for stage3 a tricky day in store for Sky tomorrow?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RonB wrote:
    Despite those attacks no changes at the top of the GC. Looking at the profile for stage3 a tricky day in store for Sky tomorrow?

Yep. Lose the jersey tomorrow so a rival team has to slog at the front on the queen stage*

*This may not happen. Possibly not. Probably not
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    --Darren-- wrote:
    Who is doing the lead commentary with Brian Smith? Trying far too hard with his pronunciation :?

"AsTaNa"

Its Rob Hatch

And isn't his commentary bl00dy awful?

I'd rather listen to Phil's Boisson-Hagen and Voickler.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    A new velodrome in UCI land.
    How can that be?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    A new velodrome in UCI land.
    How can that be?

How very generous of Andy 'I knew nothing' Rihs
  • Richmond Racer
    Reading some team race reports, seems to be a pattern of the teams finding a wee bit of difference between today's challanges as per the roadbook vs actuality - especially that final climb
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    --Darren-- wrote:
    Who is doing the lead commentary with Brian Smith? Trying far too hard with his pronunciation :?

"AsTaNa"

Its Rob Hatch

It really annoys me, especially is AG2R pronunciation. A real shame as I quite like his actual commentary style. Not everything has to be pronounced as it would be in its mother tongue and an English pronunciation of 3 letters and a number is surely acceptable?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What's happening today? Cant get any of the streams to work..something about a delay?
  • Richmond Racer
    Breakway of six riders with 3'11" at last time check (km 74)

Breakway: Burghardt (BMC), Kruijswijk (BLA), Bérard (ALM), Reza (EUC), Brändle (IAM), Bilbao (EUS)

Blythe and Moreno have both abandoned

2 didnt start: Nizzolo (RLT) and Frank (BMC)
  • Richmond Racer
    Boo...tomorrow's route in question. Bad weather forecast on Col de la Croix. Decision to be made at 1830.

http://www.20min.ch/ro/sports/cyclisme/ ... e-25852447
  • RonB
    Live stream should start in a couple of mins...

http://88.80.5.80/w00t/20130422/vv517566b205813929092530-567353.html

edit - that's the start of the programme - they don't get pics for about 20mins :roll:
  • RonB
    Sky have a rider in the break in Porte. They have 20" on the main field with 36km to go. Takes some of the pressure off the yellow jersey, but OPQS and Radioshack look interested in keeping them in their sights amongst others.
  • RonB
    Adam Blythe and Dani Moreno abandoned earlier today.

Matt Goss and Mark Cavendish are in a second group which has formed, around a minute down on the main field.

No surprise that no-one contested the sprint there! Crazy placement just around 10m after a 90deg right hander covered in road paint!
  • blazing_saddles
    Local's talking about bad weather tomorrow and not using the Col de la Croix.
    Which would result in no meaningful climb in a race held in Switzerland.
    Quite a feat.
  • RonB
    Pretty much all back together at the start of the last, unclassified climb. Just over 10km to go.
  • RonB
    1km to go OPQS for Meersman chasing down Lampre's Adriano Malori who is just out in front. All flat to the finish so it is looking like he will get caught.

And he does! Meersman takes it from Gavazzi & Albasini in a group sprint.
  • blazing_saddles
    Same parcour = same result.
    This race desperately needs a face lift.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Local's talking about bad weather tomorrow and not using the Col de la Croix.
    Which would result in no meaningful climb in a race held in Switzerland.
    Quite a feat.
    At 1845 this evening: "Following the advice of a meteorologist who says that there will be no snow before 18h and rainfall should be small (2 mm), it has been decided to keep the original route".

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-tour-de-romandie-etape-de-samedi-maintenue-32223.html

Fingers crossed that this stage might bring this race alive.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Pross wrote:
    --Darren-- wrote:

"AsTaNa"

Its Rob Hatch

It really annoys me, especially is AG2R pronunciation. A real shame as I quite like his actual commentary style. Not everything has to be pronounced as it would be in its mother tongue and an English pronunciation of 3 letters and a number is surely acceptable?
    In the grand scheme of things, that seems a pretty odd thing to get annoyed about. Personally, I approve of his attempts to correctly pronounce the names of riders and teams.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Everytime I hear an English speaking commentator or newsreader etc try and pronounce names "authentically" I wonder if that's actually how it's pronounced or whether it's just "generic spanish" (or whatever) sounding. Of course is the reverse true - are foreign commentators putting on comedy scouse accents everytime they say "Liverpool" or geordie when they say "Newcastle" etc?

Personally I'd prefer it if they didn't bother.
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH Posts: 78
    --Darren-- wrote:

"AsTaNa"

Its Rob Hatch

As it so happens I have just spent two days in Astana (interesting experience) and all of the locals pronounce it without stressing the "Ta". I suppose they should know.
  • FJS
    Better generic Spanish than some English pronunciation that has nothing to do with how someone's name is actually pronounced. Brits are lazy enough with foreign languages as it is; no need for further discouragement :wink: .

I prefer they make an effort, even if it's not a perfect native pronunciation. Just like I'd appreciate a French commentator pronouncing, say, Geraint Thomas vaguely correctly, rather than a lazy Gérain Thomá.

Rob Hatch's attempt at the 'g' in Gesink is the best I've heard from a non-Dutch-native commentator.
  • FJS
    Apparently today's route has been changed, after yesterday's decision it was OK. They're still going over the Col de la Croix the first time, but not the second time. So they took out the only really hard climb of the day. Instead they take a detour to Les Diablerets via Aigle. Interestingly, this actually makes it a mountain top finish, as it's all uphill from Aigle to the finish, about 20 km climbing, but not steep, 3 or 4 %, the last 10 km more false flat. Wonder whether someone like Albasini could hang on in there
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    shame but safety rules which is fair enough. be good to see who could have tried to attack froome and what he could do in response
  • RonB
    Here is the scene at the top of the Col de la Croix!

8686259728_9a5a57feef.jpg

I imagine there will be many riders abandoning today.
  • blazing_saddles
    Tony Martin is laughing all the way to the podium top step.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Anyone found a stream that in't showing football?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tony Martin is laughing all the way to the podium top step.
    He'll get caught. He's 29 seconds down on Froome on GC. He can't afford to lose much more.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Got to love a bit of Rob Hayles' enthusiasm.