Cycling Ireland nominate McQuaid > EGM Rejects

12346»

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Otherwise why can't you stand - or me for that matter ... ?
    Because I don't meet any of the the other numerous (non-Federation specific) criteria. You may meet some. McQuaid meets them all.

The rule is there. But in my opinion shouldn't be and it has been abused to undermine the democratic process. He is not and never will be 'their candidate'. He is just a candidate who is afflicated to them becuase he was born there.
    No he doesn't. He doesn't meet the criteria that says that a candidate must be fit and proper in the eyes of their own federation. That seems a pretty valid reason not to allow a person to stand.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    If his own federation don't want him as a candidate, surely that is the end of the story?
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    I would like to see him gone however:

If he is unable to stand then, given how hard he is trying to hang on to power now, I would expect him to file another lawsuit post election to say it was an "unfair" process or something similar.

If he stands and loses then, genuinely well done everyone, we can move on.

If he stands and wins then the sport is beyond redemption. I accept that view kind of goes in the face of a democratically elected President.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    What's this on 'the twitter' about him packing it in? Anyone seen anything concrete?

Edit - Only thing I can find
    http://gerard.cc/2013/08/01/mcquaid-quits-uci-race/
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    What's this on 'the twitter' about him packing it in? Anyone seen anything concrete?

You're just trying to get our hopes up innit
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Yeah just re-read it, seems like tosh. Never mind, nothing to see here etc etc...
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    RichN95 wrote:
    i'm failing to understand this, under the current rules a candidate needs to be nominated by his federation. how does pat have a right to stand if he is not nominated by his federation? if ireland nominated him, then they have backed him, if they don't nominate him, he has no right to stand. (not talking about the swiss fed nomination).

and pat is a member of the irish fed, he has a licence with them.

He has the right to stand because he fulfills the minimum universal requirements needed to be President - something which is undeniable seeing as he has been President for 8 years..

You are making a circular argument here - he has been president for 8 years precisely BECAUSE he was nominated by the Irish in the past. How can you use that to say he shouldn't need to be nominated by them now (as the current regulations require) ?

If he HAD been nominated by the Irish this time, would there now be an attempt to change the rules ?

If he had turned up to the EGM and pressed the flesh a bit he could quite possibly have swung the nomination, according to the reports I heard.