Cycling Ireland nominate McQuaid > EGM Rejects

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited August 2013 in Pro race
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Told ya.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Surely nobody with any common sense thought they wouldn't nominate him
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    Surely nobody with any common sense thought they wouldn't nominate him

Exactly. And Mr Kimmages recent behaviour appears to have improved his support.

People underestimate what a savvy politician McQuaid is.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Read this on another forum this morning.
    3. The following proposals are to be put forward to UCI Management Committee for tabling at the 2013 Congress at:
    a. A limitation on the period for which a president or vice president can serve in the UCI as follows effective after the 2013 Congress:
    i. The maximum number of two four year terms.
    ii. No president, vice president or management committee member can serve the UCI for more than 16 years in total over their life time, in any capacity (paid, voluntary or other).

This, having just nominated him for a 3rd term.
    Doesn't just run in the family, then. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    From what I am hearing, a substantial number of Cycling Ireland members are pretty disgusted by this. The Board of CI nominated PMcQ directly without convening an EGM to take a vote of its members (as far as I understand). The rules of CI didnt require an EGM. There was some hope that the Board members wouldve given McQ a harder time, but it didnt happen. The Board wasnt unanimous in its support however. An anonymous member of the Board posted the following on another board:
    Let me give you context

We started at 5 and did the ordinary business until 6.30 We then started and The president came in at 7 and gave 30min reason why we should back him. He was asked about governance, Why he didnt contact Emma O'Reilly ( there you go kimmage!) Why did the UCI advise contador that his positive was from food contamination and stuff like that.

He left and there was a lot of robust discussion and colour full language but he was backed with a big majority (sorry astonished face emoticom) Let me give you context

We started at 5 and did the ordinary business until 6.30 We then started and The president came in at 7 and gave 30min reason why we should back him. He was asked about governance, Why he didnt contact Emma O'Reilly ( there you go kimmage!) Why did the UCI advise contador that his positive was from food contamination and stuff like that.

He left and there was a lot of robust discussion and colour full language but he was backed with a big majority (sorry astonished face emoticom)

Pretty sad really.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Iain is spot on. Some seem to get so taken by the disaster that occurs every time he opens his mouth in public that they neglect to realise that he knows his way around the politics. Sports governance at the very top is all about the politics.

For sure, being patronised by the likes of Fuller demanding to go and lecture to them, and being sworn at and verbally pummelled by Kimmage etc, did the anti movement no favours.

But do people really think that a majority of the Irish board members would have readily relinquished the benefits and influence that surely comes with having PMQ as UCI Pres?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    The blokes needs tomatoes thrown at him, eggs and bottles of piss. A la Daphne & Celeste. That way that idiot irishman who has slept through his entire tenure (although I forget his passionate defence of cycle ball funding (which is probably looked after by a friend of McFnckwit), can know what the whole world thinks of him.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • tailwindhome
    Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 1h
    To the board member of @IreCyclingFed who voted for the sport, my respect. To the MUPPETS who voted McQuaid, my contempt
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    It's thatcher's fault ...
  • iainf72
    Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 1h
    To the board member of @IreCyclingFed who voted for the sport, my respect. To the MUPPETS who voted McQuaid, my contempt

:lol: Yeah PK, coz you didn't alienate anyone who might have taken your side in the last week in Ireland
  • iainf72
    It's extra hilarious that Cycling Ireland only got 23 emails telling them not to vote for Pat.

Yes, 23, despite all the campaigning.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's extra hilarious that Cycling Ireland only got 23 emails telling them not to vote for Pat.

That's twitter for you. Lot's of talking, not much doing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    If it wasn't so astonishing it would be funny. The Irish being, well, Irish, I suppose. I wonder what Pat has on the other members of C.I.
  • tailwindhome
    mike6 wrote:
    The Irish being, well, Irish, I suppose.

Would you like to elaborate there?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    iainf72 wrote:

That's twitter for you. Lot's of talking, not much doing.

While the force of angry mails caught in the spam filter is a damning importance of the matter? :P
  • mike6
    mike6 wrote:

Not being racist there. I love the Irish, well....the ones I have had the pleasure of meeting anyway. So you have not heard the term "That's a bit Irish" in regard to something that is strange, or off the wall?
  • tailwindhome
    mike6 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Not being racist there. I love the Irish, well....the ones I have had the pleasure of meeting anyway. So you have not heard the term "That's a bit Irish" in regard to something that is strange, or off the wall?

No. I haven't.
  • tailwindhome
    Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 28m
    The board member of @IreCyclingFed who voted for the sport was Anto Moran. Shake his hand if you happen to bump into him. Respect.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Whoever got Kimmage on to twitter had an absoloute 'mare! Unfortunately without an editor all his stupidity is revelaed.

It's sad now, and I don't mean sad as the insult I mean genuinely sad, like watching the decrepit family dog trying to chase a stick or an old man sitting on his porch shouting that the neighbourhood used to be so much better before the darkies/wops/insert racist word here all moved in...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Mikey23 wrote:
    It's thatcher's fault ...

Godwin's Second Law?
  • tailwindhome
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    mike6 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Hmm... not being racist, but certainly beingf ignorant.

The term ' thats a bit Irish' is deeply ingrained and in widespread use in England to describe someones actions as stupid. It is typically an anti-Irish racist comment used regularly throughout the country in a derogratory manner. Perhaps its sed so much that its anti-Irish origins are forgotten. When used with respect to a person who is established as actually Irish, then the comment is even more offensive. Say something comparable about any other ethnic group and it would be a court matter in the blink of an eye. End of rant.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    The only member who voted against McQuaid has resigned (Moran) according to cycling news. One other member abstained apparently.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I applaud you Anthony Moran - the only member of Cycling Ireland to vote against McQuaid steps down

"Anthony Moran, the only member of Cycling Ireland management board not to back Pat McQuaid’s presidential campaign at the UCI, has resigned from his post.

Moran was the only member of a seven-body panel to turn down McQuaid’s request for support – a necessary step in McQuaid’s campaign stipulated that he needed the support of his national federation in order to seek a third term as the UCI President. The election of a president will take place in September and McQuaid is the only candidate currently in the running.

Cycling Ireland voted 5-1 in favour of supporting McQuaid’s controversial bid, with one member of the panel abstaining from the vote, which took place on Friday evening.

In statement released on the Cycling Ireland website, the federation said, “Cycling Ireland today has accepted the resignation of Anthony Moran from the Board of Cycling Ireland. Moran, who was Vice-President of the Board, has been an active Board member since his election in 2009, and Cycling Ireland would like to acknowledge his work, specifically in the area of High Performance and Development.”
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • mike6
    mike6 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

No. I haven't.

Well there you go, you have learned something new. Result.
  • mike6
    emadden wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

The term ' thats a bit Irish' is deeply ingrained and in widespread use in England to describe someones actions as stupid. It is typically an anti-Irish racist comment used regularly throughout the country in a derogratory manner. Perhaps its sed so much that its anti-Irish origins are forgotten. When used with respect to a person who is established as actually Irish, then the comment is even more offensive. Say something comparable about any other ethnic group and it would be a court matter in the blink of an eye. End of rant.

Fortunately I dont subscribe to the thought police maxim. Neither do the large number of Irish guys I am happy to call friends. Like me they have a sense of humor and dont take themselves too seriously. Unlike some on here.
  • tailwindhome
    mike6 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Fortunately I dont subscribe to the thought police maxim. Neither do the large number of Irish guys I am happy to call friends. Like me they have a sense of humor and dont take themselves too seriously. Unlike some on here.

You have 2 Irishmen telling you that you're being a d1ck and should think about what you're posting.

You may chose to ignore this. That's your call. But you're still being a d1ck.
  • mike6
    Well....we all have our own point of view. I maintain, no offence was intended, the thought never crossed my mind. I have no axe to grind with anyone. The term is merely banter, between friends, some, as I have said, very much Irish. If this banter has not translated well to others I can only apologize.

As I say, no offence was intended.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    The Irish Sea seems to work as a huge distorting lens when events on the island of Ireland are viewed from Britain (don't bother to explain the definition). Many decisions or actions which appear unfathomable from here make perfect sense within context. The real culprit for the lack of understanding is the slight regard the media pay to events 'over there'. Much more time and effort expended on the U S of A than on a neighbour with such close relations with England, Scotland and Wales.
    'fool'
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Just reading this with some comments from Anthony Moran who resigned & thought I'd share - http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ation.html
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.