Cycling Ireland nominate McQuaid > EGM Rejects

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    EGM still has to go ahead apparently

down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Seem to be some interesting rumblings about whether he's actually eligible to be nominated by the Swiss, I don't have details but it seems UCI rules might stipulate your nomination has to come from your home federation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    EGM still has to go ahead apparently

down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

Careful now!
  • rob churchill
    rob churchill Posts: 272
    iainf72 wrote:
    The Swiss have nominated Pat so he's pretty much a dead cert to continue in his post. Although I'm not sure the commitment he gave with the cycling Ireland vote to limit terms still stands

I think we know the answer to that...

Next crazy idea to pop up: 'Show your disdain for the Swiss by refusing to buy Toblerones!'

I shall be closing my Swiss numbered accounts forthwith, and urge you all to do the same. In future I shall do my banking in the Cayman Islands.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Seem to be some interesting rumblings about whether he's actually eligible to be nominated by the Swiss, I don't have details but it seems UCI rules might stipulate your nomination has to come from your home federation.

Yep your right there its in the UCI's constitution "The candidates for the presidency shall be nominated by the federation of the candidate" .

Unfortunately my Swiss is none existent but seems to be a suggestion from certain press quarters that as he resides in Switzerland he may now be eligible to class his own federation as the Swiss cycling union and simply use their nomination to get around relying on the outcome of the EGM from the Irish federation.

So basically we just need someone who can read Swiss to look into the Federations rules about membership eligibility.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The simple answer is, because McQuaid is a resident of Switzerland, he can seek nomination from the Federation also. As he has done.

This is not the same as being a licence holder of Cycling Ireland (which he is I believe).
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    The latest on the ongoing soap saga that is the UCI presidency - http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14675 ... ation.aspx

In a nutshell now suggestions that the Swiss federation may have only recognised his right to stand & some members are alleged to have wanted to await the outcome of cycling irelands EGM.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    However rather than waiting for the clubs to democratically decide if CI should give its nomination to him, McQuaid sought to sidestep that by requesting nomination from the board of Swiss Cycling. He was also able to apply to that federation as he lives in that country.

On May 16th that federation announced that it would back him. Stickybottle understands that some board members were not happy with that announcement, feeling that it did not actually reflect what was agreed at the time.

They called for another board meeting, satisfying the requirement that a minimum of three members are needed to bring such an action about. That meeting was due to be held this evening but was ultimately cancelled after those three members were told that others would not attend. A minimum of five votes would have been needed to overturn what was announced on May 16th and, with the numbers not adding up, the meeting did not proceed.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... residency/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Maybe some merging required.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    This could be worth a watch tonight if you have access to RTÉ:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... m-tonight/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Derek Troy (off of @Flammecast) is "live tweeting" the meeting today under #ciegm

In the queue to register at the moment, apparently lots of talk supporting Pat and a few Livestrong wristbands :roll:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I wonder if any of these Irish campaigners could explain to me how the democratic process is fairly served by blocking a legitimate candidate from standing. He is not standing as representative of Irish Cycling - the only reason to stop him should be on grounds of eligibility, not because you do not support him.

I don't like Nick Griffin (few do), but I support his right to stand in elections.

Cycling Ireland should endorse his right to stand but, if they wish, issue a statement saying that they do not support his re-election.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    ddraver wrote:
    Derek Troy (off of @Flammecast) is "live tweeting" the meeting today under #ciegm

In the queue to register at the moment, apparently lots of talk supporting Pat and a few Livestrong wristbands :roll:

There is a significant support for McQuaid among people who don't really give a monkeys what 200 or so pro riders do or have done. They also believe McQuaid has done a lot of good work and is due some credit for cycling's rise in popularity.

I would love to know what %age of Cycling Ireland licence holders have any interest in who the president of the UCI is....
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Pokerface wrote:
    The simple answer is, because McQuaid is a resident of Switzerland, he can seek nomination from the Federation also. As he has done.

This is not the same as being a licence holder of Cycling Ireland (which he is I believe).

But you have to hold your licence in your country of residence, (unless that country is not affliated or refuses)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • tailwindhome
    Sticky Bottle ‏@sticky_bottle 9m
    Pat McQuaid fails to secure nomination from Cycling Ireland’s clubs to run for UCI presidency http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... residency/

Peloton Watch Peloton Watch ‏@PelotonWatch 9m
    Cycling Ireland EGM - 74 For and 91 Against. Via @irishpeloton

Sticky Bottle Sticky Bottle ‏@sticky_bottle 10m
    Counting a show of hands at the Cycling Ireland EGM - it looks to the naked eye like Pat McQuaid has lost the vote, but just bear with us
  • ddraver
    oooohhhh.....So I presume he just stands fro Switzerland now then?
    - @ddraver
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    A link to that programme on RTE can be found here. I think this link plays in all countries. The cycling piece starts at the 17:00 minute mark.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10156917/

Rich's point about McQuaid being allowed to at least go forward into the international election process is a good one and is one I would have to agree with. Let Pat McQuaid and Brian Cookson go before all the other cycling federations, present their case, and then have a democratic vote in September for the best man to win.

If Cycling Ireland choose to do so, they could always nominate Pat McQuaid with the proviso that they do so only to ensure that all candidates seeking election as UCI President are afforded the chance to contest that election and that the nomination of Pat McQuaid by Cycling Ireland is only made on that basis.

Incidentally, Greg Lemond was in Limerick last night doing an on-stage interview with Shane Stokes. I wasn't able to make it so if anyone was there, please fill us in. Greg is doing a sportive in Limerick today. Apparently, he is also a BMXer! :D

http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/ ... -1-5186077

DD.
  • ddraver
    Trouble is it doesnt work like that Dolan. It's a world of underhand kick backs, threats and schmoozing. It's not a case of the best man winning, but the man who can attract the most voters.

This may turn out to be nothing more than symbolic but the right thing was done. Pat has lived by these rules for 3 terms, now he must die by them. The cycling politicians have to listen now. Time will tell if they are...
    - @ddraver
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Don't know what Kelly and Roche said but pleased that they weren't able to influence the vote. They are too linked to the doping past despite their achievements and I feel that their presence only further emphasises what we are trying to get away from.

When does the Swiss legal challenge get resolved?

Won't miss you at all Pat...
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    IanLD wrote:
    Don't know what Kelly and Roche said but pleased that they weren't able to influence the vote. They are too linked to the doping past despite their achievements and I feel that their presence only further emphasises what we are trying to get away from.

Aye, the fact that Cycling Ireland are located in Kelly-Roche House is a bit .... something :|
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    The Irish vote has gone against Pat McQuaid.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/pat-mcq ... 47525.html

DD.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    IanLD wrote:

+1 - is this the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning in the demise of Pat mcQ? - would so love to see the dossier that he tried to suppress this week
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • tailwindhome
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    There's a seemingly random exchange of tweets between David Millar and Inner Ring regarding Global Cycling Promotion SA. Now I'm a big fan of Millar's but the questions he is asking come across to me a little bit like a set-up. I know that GCP was criticised at the time of its creation for the potential conflict of interest but the timing. the way it has been raised and the fact that it is Millar (a declared supporter of Clarkson) raising it, makes me wonder if there might be more to come which might be troublesome to McQuaid.
  • ddraver
    Gabriel Howard of Stamullen noted when the Cycling Ireland AGM had taken place in the off season to discuss the general issues arising in the sport, just over 20 clubs were represented. Yet there were 60 clubs in attendance at the EGM today.

“There’s people here that I never saw at a bike race,” he said.

When McQuaid had become president of Cycling Ireland in the 1990s, Howard said it was he who put him forward and that he had had his life threatened as a result.

He added when track rider Harry Reynolds won his world title in 1896 he had refused to stand and listen to the British national anthem at the medal presentation. People who voted against McQuaid at the EGM would be “stabbing Harry Reynolds in the heart”.

yeah, cos a man who won a race over 100 years ago is very well placed to comment on the UCI in 2013 :roll:
    - @ddraver
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    ddraver wrote:

He added when track rider Harry Reynolds won his world title in 1896 he had refused to stand and listen to the British national anthem at the medal presentation. People who voted against McQuaid at the EGM would be “stabbing Harry Reynolds in the heart”.

yeah, cos a man who won a race over 100 years ago is very well placed to comment on the UCI in 2013 :roll:

1124611550.jpg

Harry says no to MQuaid
  • tailwindhome
    David McQuaid has just posted a 'angry' yet reasonable response to the Sticky Bottle article on Sticky Bottle's FB page.

It doesn't feel right reposting here - I'm sure you'll find it if you're interested.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    Angry? Yes, but Reasonable ? ??? you can see the spittle on his chin ..
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Didnt another McQuaid (Darragh) get carted around in the Radioshack team car at the Tour of California ......No conflict of interest there then eh :roll: