Cycling Ireland nominate McQuaid > EGM Rejects

Comments

• bcmf
    bcmf Posts: 25
    It looks like Cycling Ireland could be made to hold the vote again. A movement here is under way to try and force an egm which is what was being called for in the first place.
    However don't forget that even if CI don't back McQuaid could try and get backing from The Swiss as he now lives is Switzerland.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    Why would Cycling Ireland choose to not support their man for the top job though? It must give them at least a small amount of influence at the UCI. I can understand a few people not supporting him on principle but surely it is more likely to be beneficial to Cycling Ireland to have him re-elected than to have someone from another country in the post?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Think someone else had mentioned that it might also be about his political/managerial skills too which I guess very little of us will have much knowledge of.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    ATTENTION CLUBS

Not sure if you're aware of the situation at Cycling Ireland. Essentially the board endorsed Pat McQuaid as president of the UCI for a 3rd term.

It's now transpired that the Board may have breached protocol - with regards giving clubs the opportunity to call for an EGM (Extraordinary General Meeting) - thereby giving every member of Cycling Ireland (club members) the opportunity to vote on this issue.

Club Secretaries have until 5pm tomorrow evening to request an EGM.

If you (club) are in favour of an EGM - your club secretary must contact Cycling Ireland before 5pm

Info@cyclingireland.ie
    and "request an EGM on the election of PatMcQuaid as candidate for UCI president."

Spotted on facebook.

Along with this: http://www.irishpeloton.com/2013/04/cyc ... m-act-now/
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • danlikesbikes
    Quite a bit going on in the press about this not sure if they will just hold another meeting and vote again or what the procedure is for calling for an EGM?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • NeXXus
    Quite a bit going on in the press about this not sure if they will just hold another meeting and vote again or what the procedure is for calling for an EGM?
    The results of tonights meeting should make it to public domain given the recent press.
  • danlikesbikes
    NeXXus wrote:
    The results of tonights meeting should make it to public domain given the recent press.

Well TBF the results of the last meeting made it into the public domain & assume that tonights meeting is simply to reconfirm the last one, less one member, and ensure that all the rules are complied with. Not sure that the outcome will change though.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus wrote:

Well TBF the results of the last meeting made it into the public domain & assume that tonights meeting is simply to reconfirm the last one, less one member, and ensure that all the rules are complied with. Not sure that the outcome will change though.
    Unfortunately you're probably right.

Edit: TWH cross posted good news :lol:
  • danlikesbikes

Well there we go (just saw this on their twitter feed too) so its not quite as simple as a meeting for a recasting of the vote.

Wonder if this was caused by the number of emails sent or due any shortcomings the from the first meeting. Either way I guess that the clubs will now get their say.
  • tailwindhome
    I wonder will all the Cycling Clubs be having special meetings to decide the next President of the UCI? Most clubs struggle to agree club kit and a marshalling rota!......the usual remedy - start a new club.......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Surely Pat will block this now the decision is made....?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • danlikesbikes
    Not sure he would as the board stated that it was simply an error and only minor things not complied with first time around then why rush to hold the second meeting so quickly. Sounds like they were worried that their first meeting might be called into question, if so then doubt that Pat would want to then attempt to block the second meeting decision.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    He tried to block them last year because the form had nt been filled in properly or something did nt he?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited April 2013
    I'm still confused why he even wants to do a term more. Surely he knows that everyone outside his office despises him.
  • danlikesbikes
    Pass not sure about last year remember something happening, was it related to his election?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    I'm still confused why he even wants to do a term more. Surely he knows that everyone outside his office despises him.
    They don't, though. He's got plenty of support in the right places.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    ThomThom wrote:

But if he loses who in their right mind will give him another job?
  • danlikesbikes
    I'm pretty sure that if he looses he will get another job pretty easily as @RichN95 says he has plenty of support in the right places.

I think he has his fingers in plenty of pies if you'll excuse the phrase.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I'm pretty sure that if he looses he will get another job pretty easily as @RichN95 says he has plenty of support in the right places.

I think he has his fingers in plenty of pies if you'll excuse the phrase.

And Lance knew Clinton..... :D
  • RichN95.
    izza wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

But if he loses who in their right mind will give him another job?

Lots of people will although operating as a freelance consultant would be more lucrative for him. For a start he knows everyone in cycling and a lot of them quite like him - particularly in places like China. He can open doors, make introductions etc. And the fact he got to be President in the first place shows he has considerable transferable skills. If I was someone like Specialized, I'd give him a non-exec position on the board.

You need to divest yourself of the idea that the whole bicycle industry is obsessed with Armstrong - they're not. Barely anyone gives a sh!t
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:

You need to divest yourself of the idea that the whole bicycle industry is obsessed with Armstrong - they're not. Barely anyone gives a sh!t
    They usually do if there is money in it for them. ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    deejay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

They usually do if there is money in it for them. ?
    But Armstrong doesn't have any effect on anything any more - he's an irrelevance.
  • bcmf
    An EGM has been called. The clubs will have their say.What that say will be remains to be seen BUT it means that ordinary members 'on the ground' will have an influence.
    We are now in a situation where the decision could be potentially taken out of the 'upper echilons' .
    But as I have pointed out earlier and pointed out on irishpeloton McQuaid can possibly go to Switzerland to look for backing
  • bcmf
    ddraver wrote:
    Surely Pat will block this now the decision is made....?
    Ci have made clear that the vote taken to back Pat McQuaid as UCI President is now void.
  • RichN95.
    bcmf wrote:
    An EGM has been called. The clubs will have their say.What that say will be remains to be seen BUT it means that ordinary members 'on the ground' will have an influence.
    We are now in a situation where the decision could be potentially taken out of the 'upper echilons' .
    But as I have pointed out earlier and pointed out on irishpeloton McQuaid can possibly go to Switzerland to look for backing
    It's not just Switzerland. Any federation can nominate him. He'll win a third term unless Makarov smells weekness and buys up the electorate.
    Even if McQuaid quits and someone like Cookson or Lappartient takes over, the UCI will still be much the same - underfunded and with Verbruggen hanging around looking out for his interests.
    If you want some sort of change then get ASO to invest in cycling and get WADA to cooperate rather than criticise.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Even if McQuaid quits and someone like Cookson or Lappartient takes over, the UCI will still be much the same - underfunded and with Verbruggen hanging around looking out for his interests.

This is what I'm wondering - If Cookson ascends to being the president, he was on the UCI management committee while Pat was in charge, just like Pat was during HV's spell in charge. Surely that means Cookson will be just McQuaid part 2.

All the focus on who's in charge is irrelevant.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... candidacy/

"As things stand McQuaid has no nomination to stand for the presidential election. Because his nomination of two weeks ago was found to have been granted at a meeting with no legal standing, that nomination does not exist and never did. It means the question of rescinding the nomination does not arise."
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The Swiss have nominated Pat so he's pretty much a dead cert to continue in his post. Although I'm not sure the commitment he gave with the cycling Ireland vote to limit terms still stands
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    iainf72 wrote:
    The Swiss have nominated Pat so he's pretty much a dead cert to continue in his post. Although I'm not sure the commitment he gave with the cycling Ireland vote to limit terms still stands

I think we know the answer to that...

Next crazy idea to pop up: 'Show your disdain for the Swiss by refusing to buy Toblerones!'