Cycling Ireland nominate McQuaid > EGM Rejects

Comments

• ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    The UCI has all the makings of FIFA. Why do these organisations attract so many lovely people? Fat tw@t couldn't hold the wheel of a broken down Ford Cortina.
  • ShandyH
    I'll go further. I hate what you've overseen in cycling Pat. You disgust me.
  • ShandyH
    Excuse me,it's my birthday and the fact that PM is seeking re-election really knobs me off.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Reaction from brother Kieron McQuaid not really helping change the feeling that the CI EGM's outcome was the right one

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... ing-going/

My favourite bit is his suggestion that those naughty trouble-makers like Cillian Kelly and Anto Moran learn Russian (WTF?)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I reckon if I had been eligible to attend and vote I would have voted to nominate.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Didnt another McQuaid (Darragh) get carted around in the Radioshack team car at the Tour of California ......No conflict of interest there then eh :roll:

BN8S-iCCYAAc4By.jpg

Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters 13m
    Had a nice day with @cooksonforuci in the car today. pic.twitter.com/lnOB9wehuG

Is that a conflict of interest?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Not doing himself any favours?

"How do I win this thing? I know, I'll get the cycling powerhouses of Malaysia, Thailand and Morocco on my side and then change the rules about a bit so I win!"

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15115 ... ction.aspx
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    They definitely need to drug test McQuaid!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Not doing himself any favours?

"How do I win this thing? I know, I'll get the cycling powerhouses of Malaysia, Thailand and Morocco on my side and then change the rules about a bit so I win!"

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15115 ... ction.aspx

if this goes through then cycling really should ditch the uci.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    I must say I am beginning to admire Pat's "win at all costs" mentality! Reminds me of a certain Texan!
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    The man makes me sick. He and Verbruggen presided out the biggest shit storm to hit cycling, and one that continues in it's collateral damage, and he thinks he is still welcome. What is he on?

One of the tour mountain stages illustrated the madness of some of their rukes. One of the toughest stages and with the press still questioning the widespread use of PEDs and the UCI snatch a few bikes to check if they are under weight!! Who cares. Stop messing with bike regs and look after the riders interests.
  • Richmond Racer
    Just possible that Fat Pat's gone too far now, and contents of that Mike Plant dossier get leaked. Either by Plant himself or by Markarov - apparently during the Tour, l'Equipe quoted Markarov as threatening to expose McQuaid if he doesnt resign.

Plant responded very quickly last night
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/07/ ... est_297437
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    It does kind of remind me of president Mugabe's attempts to remain in power in Zimbabwe...
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I cannot believe all this back room politics to remain in power, he must be getting a lot of cash from somewhere to make his holding on to the role so vital. If nothing else it discredits the UCI massively and this more than anything says to me the Pat McQuaid puts himself first and cycling second - is that the type of President the UCI needs right now?
  • Richmond Racer
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I cannot believe all this back room politics to remain in power, he must be getting a lot of cash from somewhere to make his holding on to the role so vital. If nothing else it discredits the UCI massively and this more than anything says to me the Pat McQuaid puts himself first and cycling second - is that the type of President the UCI needs right now?

I think he and Hein are in a total panic about the skeletons that could be dragged out of the cupboard if Cookson gets elected
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    jonomc4 wrote:

I think he and Hein are in a total panic about the skeletons that could be dragged out of the cupboard if Cookson gets elected

This pile of synonyms for disgusting doesn't even get close to describing Pat McQ http://thesaurus.com/browse/disgusting?s=ts
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Reaction from brother Kieron McQuaid not really helping change the feeling that the CI EGM's outcome was the right one

My favourite bit is his suggestion that those naughty trouble-makers like Cillian Kelly and Anto Moran learn Russian (WTF?)
    The forums and social nets have one main problem with McQuaid and that is the money the texan paid.
    The reason we all (typists that is) want McQuid out is the hope that the UCI can be purged and cleaned up for all to see.
    No mention of that from Kieron or his family.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    This is all becoming a little too like a plot from Father Ted
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Are we agreed the peloton has significantly cleaned up since 2006 when Pat took over?

What's Cookson's pitch, beyond 'I'm not McQuaid?'
  • Richmond Racer
    Are we agreed the peloton has significantly cleaned up since 2006 when Pat took over?

To quote Vaughters response to you when you asked him this last night on Twatter:

Jonathan Vaughters @Vaughters
    @RickChasey he says he will delegate and run in a process oriented democratic fashion. That's a BIG change.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,557

To quote Vaughters response to you when you asked him this last night on Twatter:

@RickChasey he says he will delegate and run in a process oriented democratic fashion. That's a BIG change.

Is BR's very own Rick Chasey becoming a high profile twitterer? First the hog and now Vaughters.
  • Richmond Racer
    TheBigBean wrote:

Is BR's very own Rick Chasey becoming a high profile twitterer? First the hog and now Vaughters.

I've heard he's going on holiday with Daniel Friebe to research the Worlds Next Best 50 Climbs
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

That's definitely down to Pat...
  • rick_chasey

Ok. What does that mean in practice?

I have no idea. Referenda on every issue?
  • rick_chasey
    ThomThom wrote:

That's definitely down to Pat...

I don't know really. But I don't think it's as binary as everyone makes out.

His main issue in my eyes is a communication issue. We as fans care more about that than the behind the scenes stuff we never see.

I think if your main issue with Pat is doping you need to think it through a bit more.
  • Richmond Racer

He goes into a little bit of detail on page 6 of his manifesto
    http://www.briancookson.org/files/6313/ ... nglish.pdf
  • rick_chasey
    Ok. So what Vaughtersrs was on about boils down to two things.

1) pledge to independently investigate historical doping cover ups using USP investigation as blueprint

2) a 'board' or management committee with pro cyclist association representative.

#1 seems self explanatory though difficult to know if he's done it properly if they don't find anything.

#2 is a lot trickier. How is the board makeup chosen? What powers will it have? How do you get on it? Etc.

Devil is in the detail. It's easy to make a management committee with no teeth.

Also, does the UCI need a board style management committee? Does that model work in sport?

If McQuaid plays dirty and corrupt it might well be (very likely) because the system is. So to get presidency you might have to get grubby....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Personally he is a chance

There is no chance that a genuinely reforming person (whoever that might be, most twitterati fall silent if you press them to name a candidate) would ever get elected as the system is so favoured toward the politically slick

Cookson is old school enough to be able to play the game and win, but also is sensible enough to see the way the wind is blowing with tregard to Pro Road cycling (which is the UCI's big showcase and earner). He knows enough to keep the MTB, BMX, Bicyle Polo and Bicycle gymnastics etc going whilst reforming the creaking Pro Road scene.

One thing that is absolutely certain is that NOTHING will change if McQuaid and Verbruggen stay in charge, not least becasue they ve convinced themselves that there is nothing wrong!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Pretty desperate by McQuaid - however I see rent a quote Fuller has waded in.
    "The latest actions from UCI president Pat McQuaid are those of a desperate man trying to hold onto his dwindling power base. This abuse of process and power are unheard of in sports administration circles and his tactics most resemble those of Zimbabwean dictator Robert Mugabe,"

McQuaid might have his shortcomings but comparing him to a genocidal, corrupt dictator is a bit much.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The irony of this rule change proposal is that it is a rule that actually does need changing.
    Twitter: @RichN95