Funeral security

Comments

• Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I can't wish RIP for someone who supported Apartheid and Pinochet. And that's before I think of the havoc she wreaked up North.

NB Thatcher did not support Apartheid, she opposed sanctions against SA stating that she feared they would hurt those they were designed to help the most.

If she supported Apartheid, I couldn't see Mandela visiting her and thanking her for her pressure on the SA govt of the time, in 194 since you ask.

Okay, okay, I worded my post badly. It is my opinion that she shouldn't have opposed the sanctions, regardless of her reasons.

Combine that with Pinochet and all the things that we're all too aware of and I won't be showing any sadness at her passing.

And you're entitled to your opinion. I have a different one, which I hope you too can respect.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Out of interest, could scotland be self sufficient ?
    Living MY dream.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    VTech wrote:

Only one way to find out!

Depends on who you believe as to much oil/gas is down there and how you divvy up the North Sea between England and Scotland
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    And you're entitled to your opinion. I have a different one, which I hope you too can respect.

Of course I can.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I don’t hate the English at all, some of my best friends etc...but I do want to be finally done with Westminster and the potential thousand year rule that the Tories are going to have - don’t kid yourselves, you’ve got them for the foreseeable, although it seems a lot of you are quite happy about that. So when the vote comes next Sept I'll be posting a YES.

I’ll never support England in any sport – sorry ;-)

To go very off topic for a bit – did you know that we the Scots essentially invented the bike.

Steel tubing – that was us.
    The pedal bike – that was us.
    The pneumatic tyre – of course that was us.

Plus we came up with the basis for macadamised roads too!

The list of Scots inventions and discoveries on Wikipedia is a bit of an eye opener:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_i ... iscoveries

Now back to the slagging off...
  • CambsNewbie
    I love this place! This thread has gone from security at Thatchers funeral, to general Thatcher debate, the Royal Family, the usual VTech bashing (no thread seems complete with this now!), anti-Englishness, to Scottish independence!

What next?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Helmets, yes or no?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    VTech wrote:
    I'm no expert in English-Scottish history but both sides have been as bad as each other. It certainly wasn't as one sided (England bad Scotland good) as the film Braveheart and the Scottish nationalists like to make out.

As Scotland gets more and more power devolved to it (which as an Englishman I strongly agree with, hope they do vote for full independence) when are politicians in Westminster going to have the balls to say that Scottish MPs can no longer vote on matters of English law and policy as they can do now...
    The real baddies in Braveheart were the Scottish nobles.
    It was a Scottish MP who raised the issue of Scots voting in Westminster as a problem.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee
    VTech wrote:
    Yes.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I don’t hate the English at all, some of my best friends etc...but I do want to be finally done with Westminster and the potential thousand year rule that the Tories are going to have - don’t kid yourselves, you’ve got them for the foreseeable, although it seems a lot of you are quite happy about that. So when the vote comes next Sept I'll be posting a YES.

To go very off topic for a bit – did you know that we the Scots essentially invented the bike.

The list of Scots inventions and discoveries on Wikipedia is a bit of an eye opener:

You came up with Iron Bru too, made from giirders ov scotland.
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    Depends on who you believe as to much oil/gas is down there and how you divvy up the North Sea between England and Scotland
    The majority of the oil & gas is now around Shetland, not the North Sea. Can't see the border going that high.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I love this place! This thread has gone from security at Thatchers funeral, to general Thatcher debate, the Royal Family, the usual VTech bashing (no thread seems complete with this now!), anti-Englishness, to Scottish independence!

What next?

Blaming Wiggle.
  • VTech wrote:

You came up with Iron Bru too, made from giirders ov scotland.

and cholesterol
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • daviesee
    Kirkpatrick Macmillan.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkpatrick_Macmillan
  • CambsNewbie
    daviesee wrote:
    The majority of the oil & gas is now around Shetland, not the North Sea. Can't see the border going that high.

Give me a map and a pencil and I'm sure I can make it look like its all English waters! :D
  • daviesee

and cholesterol
    The original Scottish diet of local produce is very low in Cholesterol. It is the imported food that is bad.
  • daviesee
    Give me a map and a pencil and I'm sure I can make it look like its all English waters! :D
    Actually, some Shetlanders are vying for independence from Scotland and the UK.
    I am sure they would be self sufficient. :wink:
  • CambsNewbie
    daviesee wrote:

That's it. I'm calling for the people of Cambridgeshire to rise up against our English oppressors! I'm sure with all the agricultural produce we produce, Cambridge university and all the high-tec business around Cambridge we could be self sufficient! Time for revolution people! :D
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    daviesee wrote:

That's it. I'm calling for the people of Cambridgeshire to rise up against our English oppressors! I'm sure with all the agricultural produce we produce, Cambridge university and all the high-tec business around Cambridge we could be self sufficient! Time for revolution people! :D

You've already had a go with Cromwell.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    daviesee wrote:

Why dont you just form a coalition with Oxford and claim to be a social elite and run everything any way?

whilst you laugh at the rest of us Plebs. To be a little bit closer to London, You could have a small feeder unit near Windsor.
  • CambsNewbie
    daviesee wrote:

Unfortunately banning Christmas celebrations was never going to be a vote winner.. :D
  • daviesee wrote:

and cholesterol
    The original Scottish diet of local produce is very low in Cholesterol. It is the imported food that is bad.

Interesting public health fact. In the 1960s, 80% of journeys in Glasgow were taken by bike.

@gietvangent
  • daviesee wrote:

Unfortunately banning Christmas celebrations was never going to be a vote winner.. :D

Which is why he gave up on the idea of ruling by consent completely.

@gietvangent
  • CambsNewbie
    tim wand wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Why dont you just form a coalition with Oxford and claim to be a social elite and run everything any way?

whilst you laugh at the rest of us Plebs. To be a little bit closer to London, You could have a small feeder unit near Windsor.

Don't need a coalition with Oxford to laugh at you Plebs. I often sitting here chuckling! :D
  • CambsNewbie
    daviesee wrote:

You mean rather like the king he executed? Lol
  • daviesee wrote:

You mean rather like the king he executed? Lol

At least he was consistent in his belief in his own divine right and infallibility.

Actually, scratch that. So was Cromwell.

@gietvangent
  • CambsNewbie

What next?

Well I never thought the uprising in the Democratic Fenland Republic of Cambridgeshire and the English Civil War would have been next! :D
  • daviesee
    Well I never thought the uprising in the Democratic Fenland Republic of Cambridgeshire and the English Civil War would have been next! :D
    It's like a chat down the boozer. Start talking about football and an hour later you have the solution to the world crisis. :P
  • i thought cromwell was from huntingdonshire??
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    why do people hate tories? is it cos they dont beleive in something for nothing?

Over 10 million people voted Tory in 2010. That's an awful lot of hate you have there. :wink:

ami misreadign your post or are you misreading mine (yes i appreicate yours is jokey, but still would like to know) i would class myself as tory. (although not this crummy excuse for tories) im a tebbit tory spiritually i suppose...