Funeral security

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I dont think any politician should be given a State or Ceremonial funeral. These are supposed to be events to Unite the nation, and politicians never do. Regardless of what you think of Thatcher as a person, as PM or her politics, her death is being used for political point scoring by both sides, and her funeral will be too.

A simple private funeral would have been best especially for her family
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    VTech wrote:
    Your boasting of personal wealth, the Royal Family and Tories. Excellent. Do you read the Daily Mail too? Please say you do!

How come whenever your backed into a corner by a daft comment about me you try to mock me ?
    Does it matter if I'm rich or poor?

The fact still remains that what I wrote is correct, even if you dont like it, it simply can't make it wrong.
    Rich or poor, I'm a nice person, I have compassion and would never be happy at the death of someone else. Even if you really hate someone what good is it going to do you to party at their death ?
    I really feel that hatred in people holds them back from making the est of their life.

Go forth, be happy, multiply If your lucky and enjoy.

That's gold standard patronising I'll give you that.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im consistant :)
    Living MY dream.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    VTech wrote:
    Have you ever considered appearing on reality tv? Viewers love to be infuriated. You'd make great telly.

Seriously, I'm not having a dig, my sister works in the business and producers would snap you up.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • VTech
    seanoconn wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Have you ever considered appearing on reality tv? Viewers love to be infuriated. You'd make great telly.

Seriously, I'm not having a dig, my sister works in the business and producers would snap you up.

I have a face for radio :oops:
    Living MY dream.
  • seanoconn
    VTech wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I have a face for radio :oops:
    Shame. Character's more important than looks on TV anyway.

Sorry off topic but one other quick question.... I'm looking at one of my sons toys as I type, made by Vtech.... Any connection?

I shouldn't ask but these things really bug me if I don't :lol:
  • VTech
    Sorry, no connection im afraid.
    Living MY dream.
  • seanoconn
    VTech wrote:
    Sorry, no connection im afraid.
    Ok thanks anyway
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The funeral should be a private one - paid for from her estate - anyone that disrupts such an occasion would get no sympathy from me.

If it's turned into a state occasion - even if it isn't formally a "state funeral" - then it's legitimate for people to protest peacefully. Personally I'd feel uncomfortable about disrupting a funeral like that but she was a political figure and if the occasion is effectively endorsing her career then people have the right to protest there.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    edited April 2013
    Well I expect one of the reasons they a lining the route with military is to stop people from disrupting the procession. I would also expect the coffin will be made out of an easy clean material. All I hope is they bury her deep enough so she doesn't have too far to go to meet her deserved host.

Oh and is the reason for her to be conveyed on a gun carriage is in case the coffin lid starts to lift they can finish her off quickly?
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Hopefully the protestors will be given an area (eg Trafalgar Square) to legitimately protest and have their moment away from the procession.

Not a supporter of the lady myself but I thinks it's disrespectful to celebrate someone's death because you disagree with them politically..

Que the abuse from the left!
  • why do people hate tories? is it cos they dont beleive in something for nothing?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    why do people hate tories? is it cos they dont beleive in something for nothing?

Over 10 million people voted Tory in 2010. That's an awful lot of hate you have there. :wink:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    why do people hate tories? is it cos they dont beleive in something for nothing?

Many on the left hate the parties on the right.

Many on the right hate the parties on the left.

It's called mutual antipathy and it's a part of modern politics. Both sides claim that they are the virtuous ones (as you appear to do) and many refuse to accept that others might have sincerely held beliefs about how society should be organised that differ from their own.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    johnfinch wrote:

It's called mutual antipathy and it's a part of modern politics. Both sides claim that they are the virtuous ones (as you appear to do) and many refuse to accept that others might have sincerely held beliefs about how society should be organised that differ from their own.

Be off with you. No talking sense allowed. :lol:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Ballysmate wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Be off with you. No talking sense allowed. :lol:

Sorry. I forgot what the Internet is for. :lol:
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302

Oh, they do. So long as the people getting something for nothing are the banks, the city and BAE bloody Systems, the Tories are all for something for nothing.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    yup, lived through pre thatcher, the thatcher era and post thatcher, the three day week, the winter of discontent et al. i paid out social security and handed out food parcels to the families of striking miners. Believe me the country was in a mess, going to the dogs and a global joke. i voted for her three times and im very pleased that i did. she was a truly great woman who had the courage of her convictions and carried them out to the best of her ability. i didnt agree with everything she did but i think she deserves better than these snide little one liners that have appeared on these forums and elsewhere... rant over!
  • seanoconn
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Neither a saint nor a sinner. Merely a woman of her times who stood up to be counted at her moment in history and had the courage and conviction to stand up for what she believed in and lived and died for politics. I didn't agree with much of what she did but I voted for her three times ...
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I just love these ignorant, I'll informed Neanderthal one liners from some folks who seem to have the political understanding of a mollusc. I had the misfortune to be living and working and trying to bring up a young family in the per thatcher era... And believe me it was pants. I voted for her three times and although I didn't agree with everything she did, I admired her for her honesty and integrity, her deep convictions and courage in carrying them out
    Mikey23 wrote:
    yup, lived through pre thatcher, the thatcher era and post thatcher, the three day week, the winter of discontent et al. i paid out social security and handed out food parcels to the families of striking miners. Believe me the country was in a mess, going to the dogs and a global joke. i voted for her three times and im very pleased that i did. she was a truly great woman who had the courage of her convictions and carried them out to the best of her ability. i didnt agree with everything she did but i think she deserves better than these snide little one liners that have appeared on these forums and elsewhere... rant over!

You voted for her 9 times! Unbelievable!!
  • thegreatdivide
    Ballysmate wrote:

Over 10 million people voted Tory in 2010. That's an awful lot of hate you have there. :wink:

In England.
  • thegreatdivide
    Ballysmate wrote:

In England.

We've got more Pandas than Tory MP's in Scotland.
  • VTech
    Personally I despise the scottish/england divide.

I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago when the rugby was on with loads of scottish people stopping what they are doing at the airport and watching the TV applauding the english opponents.

I would never do the same if scotland were playing a game and would support them as a joint nation.

Where has all this hatred come from ? I know the history of the countries and I know england did a lot of bad to the scottish (as we did to many countries) but is that relevant these days ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I can't wish RIP for someone who supported Apartheid and Pinochet. And that's before I think of the havoc she wreaked up North.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    VTech wrote:
    Personally I despise the scottish/england divide.

I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago when the rugby was on with loads of scottish people stopping what they are doing at the airport and watching the TV applauding the english opponents.

I would never do the same if scotland were playing a game and would support them as a joint nation.

Where has all this hatred come from ? I know the history of the countries and I know england did a lot of bad to the scottish (as we did to many countries) but is that relevant these days ?
    I am truly half English half Scot and I look on myself as English as I've lived in England all my life. I would always want the Scots to win unless they were playing England.

VTech you answer your own question it is the history between the two nations. We should be proud that we are now sensible enough to restrict our combat to the sporting arena. Remember at places like Berwick it was nothing short of genocide that was committed.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I can't wish RIP for someone who supported Apartheid and Pinochet. And that's before I think of the havoc she wreaked up North.

NB Thatcher did not support Apartheid, she opposed sanctions against SA stating that she feared they would hurt those they were designed to help the most.

If she supported Apartheid, I couldn't see Mandela visiting her and thanking her for her pressure on the SA govt of the time, in 194 since you ask.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    VTech wrote:
    Answered your own question there.
    At what point should it become irrelevant? Current generation, one generation, or two?
    FWIW the media still get confused between what is England and what is Britain. Still winds me up.
    Same principle - London = National interest. Outside London = Local news.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • TO be fair, since moving to Scotland, I've never had to play the race card.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • VTech
    I have no idea when people should forget the crimes of a nation, I am upset by the way the English took over the world in the past, it was a huge mistake and the crimes we committed were nothing short of atrocious which is why I would prefer to make my stance by being open, honest and fair with the people I deal with now. let me be judged on my actions as we all should and not those of our ancestors.

I married a German, I dont think I need say more :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

NB Thatcher did not support Apartheid, she opposed sanctions against SA stating that she feared they would hurt those they were designed to help the most.

If she supported Apartheid, I couldn't see Mandela visiting her and thanking her for her pressure on the SA govt of the time, in 194 since you ask.

Okay, okay, I worded my post badly. It is my opinion that she shouldn't have opposed the sanctions, regardless of her reasons.

Combine that with Pinochet and all the things that we're all too aware of and I won't be showing any sadness at her passing.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    VTech wrote:

I'm no expert in English-Scottish history but both sides have been as bad as each other. It certainly wasn't as one sided (England bad Scotland good) as the film Braveheart and the Scottish nationalists like to make out.

As Scotland gets more and more power devolved to it (which as an Englishman I strongly agree with, hope they do vote for full independence) when are politicians in Westminster going to have the balls to say that Scottish MPs can no longer vote on matters of English law and policy as they can do now...