Tour of Catalunya - *Spoilers*

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Oh well bring on the mountains tomorrow!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Stage 2 Results
    BEL 1 MEERSMAN, Gianni (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) 3:48:09
    ITA 2 RATTO, Daniele (CANNONDALE)
    AUS 3 LANCASTER, Brett (ORICA GREENEDGE)
    FRA 4 DUMOULIN, Samuel (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
    GER 5 WAGNER, Robert (BLANCO PRO CYCLING)
    FRA 6 SIMON, Julien (SOJASUN)
    NED 7 LAMMERTINK, Maurits (VACANSOLEIL-DCM)
    FRA 8 PICHON, Laurent (FDJ)
    SUI 9 WYSS, Danilo (BMC RACING)
    ITA 10 MORI, Manuele (LAMPRE-MERIDA)

General Classification after Stage 2
    BEL 1 MEERSMAN, Gianni (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) 7:43:46
    ESP 2 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 16
    SUI 3 WYSS, Danilo (BMC RACING) + 20
    NED 4 GESINK, Robert (BLANCO PRO CYCLING)
    ITA 5 CATALDO, Dario (SKY PROCYCLING)
    ESP 6 LOPEZ GARCIA, David (SKY PROCYCLING)
    GBR 7 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING)
    ESP 8 HERRADA LOPEZ, Jesus (MOVISTAR TEAM)
    IRL 9 MARTIN, Daniel (GARMIN SHARP)
    ESP 10 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Stage 3
    180 Km's
    catalonia2013et3.png
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • danlikesbikes
    deejay wrote:
    Stage 3
    180 Km's
    catalonia2013et3.png

Looks slightly more like it, should see some good climbing tomorrow :)
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    deejay wrote:
    Stage 3
    180 Km's
    catalonia2013et3.png

Looks slightly more like it, should see some good climbing tomorrow :)

oooh, looks tasty

*feverishly tries to move some meetings tomorrow*
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    God only knows what the pictures will be like today, especially at the finish!

P155 poor coverage, really amateur. The Catalan crowds ain't too enthused either. Seen more people at the opening of a B&Q.

Fair play to the ES guys for making it just about worth watching.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    RoyPSB wrote:

P155 poor coverage, really amateur. The Catalan crowds ain't too enthused either. Seen more people at the opening of a B&Q.

Know what you mean. But it doesn't seem like long ago there was no cycling to watch except Stadler & Waldorf at the Tour and the occassional freak city centre crit series. I know it's a pathetic (and apathetic) stance in terms of voicing my "consumer demands" , but I'm still grateful for any TV/moving pictures of pro cycling - especially some of these smaller events (mid week, too!).
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    From what I remember, there often seems to be problems with the Spanish TV coverage. I've watch Oman, Paris-Nice and Tirreno this year, excellent coverage with no problems at all - how come the Spanish seem to make such a mess of it? Hats off to the ES commentators for keeping it interesting! Looking forward to 'watching' the finish of today's stage!?!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    mustol wrote:
    From what I remember, there often seems to be problems with the Spanish TV coverage. I've watch Oman, Paris-Nice and Tirreno this year, excellent coverage with no problems at all - how come the Spanish seem to make such a mess of it? Hats off to the ES commentators for keeping it interesting! Looking forward to 'watching' the finish of today's stage!?!

I suspect, like most things in Spain at the minute, the budget for providing race coverage is VERY low in comparrison to France and Italy. Hoping they might get their act together for the mountain stages, but i'm not holding my breath.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cat1_2917717.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    mustol wrote:

I suspect, like most things in Spain at the minute, the budget for providing race coverage is VERY low in comparrison to France and Italy. Hoping they might get their act together for the mountain stages, but i'm not holding my breath.

Think you might be right there. Though some of the pic's do look like they are relay issues, though this could easily be caused by trying to use a cheaper option & in this case it really is as simple as you get what you pay for & if they are not paying for a quality relay guess we are stuck with it.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:

Know what you mean. But it doesn't seem like long ago there was no cycling to watch except Stadler & Waldorf at the Tour and the occassional freak city centre crit series. I know it's a pathetic (and apathetic) stance in terms of voicing my "consumer demands" , but I'm still grateful for any TV/moving pictures of pro cycling - especially some of these smaller events (mid week, too!).

Yep, fair point. I am grateful, just a bit frustrated having recorded it and got up at 04:30am to watch it!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Looking forward to this. Wiggins clearly in a fighting mood. Hope some of the little fellas that lost time are aggressive early.
  • danlikesbikes
    Just checking my twitter feed & reports of snow for today, though not sure of the extent :?:
  • danlikesbikes
    There we go

Magnus Backstedt ‏@MagnusBackstedt 59m
    Have ridden the last 60k of todays stage at Catalunya, Hard finishing climb not helped by strong winds and -2 at the top. Nice ride though.

Marty MacDonald ‏@MartyMacTV 43m
    atop a mountain in the snow but the roads are clear, @MagnusBackstedt pedalled the last 60km of the stage this am perfect for Purito today?

Sounds like roads are cold but clear of snow - so lets bring on this race then :-)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Apparently the finish looks like this:

proxy_zps5e2fd8f6.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    José Been ‏@TourDeJose 49s
    Eurosport coverage of @VoltaCatalunyaE will only start around 16.00 (4pm GMT) because of problems with the tv signal

And there it is.
  • danlikesbikes
    Turfle wrote:
    Eurosport coverage of @VoltaCatalunyaE will only start around 16.00 (4pm GMT) because of problems with the tv signal

And there it is.

Yeah just noticed that & the ES2 coverage times have changed it starting at 2:50pm GMT, but guess that it might be changed again.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I know absolutely nothing about pro cycling, and I don't seem to have a problem with convicted dopers, and I like attacking riders

so why is it that when I hear about Alejandro Valverde doing well, I vomit in my mouth a little bit?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Turfle wrote:

And there it is.

Yeah just noticed that & the ES2 coverage times have changed it starting at 2:50pm GMT, but guess that it might be changed again.

Carlton Kirby just tweeted that the riders are going slowly so not in range for the broadcast yet and they should pick up live at 3pm.
  • danlikesbikes
    Turfle wrote:

And there it is.

Carlton Kirby just tweeted that the riders are going slowly so not in range for the broadcast yet and they should pick up live at 3pm.

Yeah have the ES2 feed on in the background & a few messages keep appearing that say 3pm GMT for coverage to start
  • danlikesbikes
    Finish looking good & clear but cold
  • danlikesbikes
    So we have OK coverage today.

Currently at circa 15km's to go and race speed only at 15kph and only on a ramp before the main final climb

edet & domagalski
    Kohler & Haedo @ 54's down
    Main bunch @ 3:57 down
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Seem to be pictures on Eurosport Player, no commentary though (unless this is a different stage...)
    Appears to be 15km to go, with the following positions on the road:

Edet (Confidis) & Domalgalski (Caja RS)
    Kohler (BMC) & Haedo (Cannondale) @53"
    Peloton @3:57

Movistar leading the pack.
  • nic_77
    Ah... there you go.
    At least we agree! :)
  • danlikesbikes
    nic_77 wrote:
    Ah... there you go.
    At least we agree! :)

On screen graphics have the main bunch at less time, but they are on the main climb now so showing 1'50 lead to the bunch being driven on by Lotto
  • Turfle
    nic_77 wrote:
    Seem to be pictures on Eurosport Player, no commentary though (unless this is a different stage...)
    Appears to be 15km to go, with the following positions on the road:

Edet (Confidis) & Domalgalski (Caja RS)
    Kohler (BMC) & Haedo (Cannondale) @53"
    Peloton @3:57

Movistar leading the pack.

Commentary is on Eurosport 2 if you haven't found it yet!
  • nic_77
    Just Edet out front with 2:11 on the Peloton 8.5km to go. Domalgalski going backwards fast.
    Getting steeper now. Sky keeping a low profile, Movistar doing the work.

Yep - I'm on B ES2 now thanks... interesting that the player had pictures (on a 'special' channel) a while before the commentary.
  • danlikesbikes
    Bum off to a quick work meeting. Why can't they all be teleconference? Would make my watching of TV in the background much easier.