Tour of Catalunya - *Spoilers*

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited March 2013 in Pro race
Starts today. Coverage on ES from 2.30pm.

Another week of Sky bashing/mocking ahead?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Probably more like anyone who dares suggest Sky aren't exciting getting slapped down in true SkyRadar style
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    A good 7 days racing. The mountain profiles scaling is very funny:

profile-03.jpg
    profile-04.jpg

No TT which is odd over 7 days. But just as well.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Weak Liquigas team.

Pinot is racing - lets hope he can shine.

Anton/Nieve for Euskaltel.

Wiggins for Sky.

Hesjedal racing with a great team. I hope he can perform.

JRod for Katusha with Moreno.

Valverde for Movistar with Quintana and Eros.

Navarro for Cofidis.

Roche for Saxo.

De Gendt with Rujano - would expect him to want to show for his team.

Good group of riders. Could be a great race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Probably more like anyone who dares suggest Sky aren't exciting getting slapped down in true SkyRadar style

How dare people disagree with you! And to offer arguments for their wrong opinions?!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Need crampons not a compact for those profiles. When do the lumps start?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    pretty high mountains for this time of year? isn't it very likely there will be snow up there?
  • frenchfighter
    calvjones wrote:
    Need crampons not a compact for those profiles. When do the lumps start?

Stages 3 and 4. The profiles making them look a lot worse than they are.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Be good to see how Hesjedal is going.

Anyone know if Roche is there to support another rider or are saxo putting him as GC
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Hoping to at least see Wiggins in this race, though with no TT it surely makes more sense for Sky to ride for Uran?

J Rod or Valverde for the win, unless the weather forces chaos again.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Anyone know if Roche is there to support another rider or are saxo putting him as GC

Looking at the team line-up I think they must be riding for Roche
  • inkyfingers

Another glorious top 10 finish to add to his palmares.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Hoping to at least see Wiggins in this race, though with no TT it surely makes more sense for Sky to ride for Uran?

J Rod or Valverde for the win, unless the weather forces chaos again.

Suspect they're riding for Uran. He's got a very good record in this race, and it could be payback in advance for supporting Wiggins at the Giro.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Ah...perennial last-chance salon-er, Rujano; will he fulfil anything on the promise he perennially showed to perennially disappointed fans and team managers?
    Would like to see something from Pozzovivo (& Betancur) for AG2R; barely a peep since last Giro ; will Fugslang do anything? Will Gesink restore his morale after getting dropped horribly at P-N?
    Yeah - how is Ryder and his team - with 3 old boys fresh off the naughty step - going to shape up?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but why isn't this in PTP?
  • danlikesbikes

Cheers - always liked his climbing style just never really been with a team that can support him, know his move was more sidways as going to team like saxo he was going to be used as a team player for Bertie, but good to see he is getting a chance to go for the GC
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    *Checks to see its on Eurosport*

*Writes off this afternoons work to watch it on Sky Go*
  • Richmond Racer

Cheers - always liked his climbing style just never really been with a team that can support him, know his move was more sidways as going to team like saxo he was going to be used as a team player for Bertie, but good to see he is getting a chance to go for the GC

The absence of a TT might please him too - he's not been going well in TTs in stage races, going back to last year, prone to dropping down the GC afterwards.
  • danlikesbikes

The absence of a TT might please him too - he's not been going well in TTs in stage races, going back to last year, prone to dropping down the GC afterwards.

Indeed it may well do him some good - pleased to see him last year in the climbs though where he seemed more then able to hold his own.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Should be a good race this, other than the first two days the whole race looks pretty tough, with plenty of climbinb on every stage. The two summit finishes will be tough, but this final stage looks like a leg breaker: catalonia2013et7.png

Thats 8 hill repeats of a 2km climb averaging 5% topping out at over 8%.

lack of TT makes this race more interesting than if it had one too I think, not often we get a race like this and means we will get some quality attacking riding (hopefully) from the likes of Quintana, Pozzovivo, Pinot, Ellisonde and Rujano.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Stage 1 - Today
    catalonia2013et1.png
    Should suit a Valverde win. ?
    I too was looking at the profiles last week in case a PTP turned up and he is my choice.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    Garmin has three riders back after a 6 month suspension.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    Looking quite warm and sunny on the road today
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Now, how long before the sort out the tv pictures?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • danlikesbikes
    They started with live feed & now filling with obligatory finish line shots & helicam of the mountains. Wondering if they are having issues? Is ES so guess they will us know shortly.
  • danlikesbikes
    There we go pressed submit too soon - confirmed issues with host broadcaster :(
  • danlikesbikes
    Well the sky train doing their job on the front
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    deejay wrote:
    Stage 1 - Today
    catalonia2013et1.png
    Should suit a Valverde win. ?
    I too was looking at the profiles last week in case a PTP turned up and he is my choice.

Hope so. 18/1 with Bet365 for todays stage.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Bradley's power meter set to 'attack' :D:wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • inkyfingers
    Bradley's power meter set to 'attack' :D:wink:

Just reminding his rivals that he's still around!
  • danlikesbikes
    Break away group headed up by Wiggo with 17' lead now
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edited March 2013
    Little climb with 10 or 15k to go always produce a nice chase to the finish.