Milan - San Remo *spoiler*

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    I just wonder what people will be saying about the winner in years to come. Respect because he won at the end of a very tough day weather wise, or not so much respect as the field was depleted and the course shortened?

For me, the important thing with MSR is the length, so this shortening of the course has really taken my enthusiasm for the race away somewhat. It's a brutal race today, obviously but it's not MSR in it's truest form.

I have a feeling that if it ends with a Nibali/Cancelara type escape then it will be an "epic" edition, if Cav wins a sprint then it will be considered a glorious chipper.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Break at just over 4.30
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Does Boonen have his True Champion status rescinded now? Not quite sure what he wanted the organisers to do, take them over the full route or abandon the race?
  • Yellow Peril
    iainf72 wrote:
    I just wonder what people will be saying about the winner in years to come. Respect because he won at the end of a very tough day weather wise, or not so much respect as the field was depleted and the course shortened?

For me, the important thing with MSR is the length, so this shortening of the course has really taken my enthusiasm for the race away somewhat. It's a brutal race today, obviously but it's not MSR in it's truest form.

I have a feeling that if it ends with a Nibali/Cancelara type escape then it will be an "epic" edition, if Cav wins a sprint then it will be considered a glorious chipper.

Full marks to the winner today. Definitely not a chipper in this weather.
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril
    Pross wrote:
    Does Boonen have his True Champion status rescinded now? Not quite sure what he wanted the organisers to do, take them over the full route or abandon the race?

Perhaps a temporary demotion to "middleweight" which he can then redeem in the cobbled classics
    @JaunePeril

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Pross wrote:

You can't judge him for something he said while hypothermic at the side of the road... c'mon
    It is tough to race at 2-3 degrees when it is wet, I am sure many true men on this forum would have no problem with that, but PROs don't have 20Kg of body fat... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Have just completed 20 minutes on my turbo in the kitchen as part of the Peleoton.

The window was open and as its snowing outside i decided to climb off

:lol:

Did you look folornly over your shoulder for a team car first?

I did, I dont want to look like Im totally out of shape so Im blaming the organisers :mrgreen:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Top tip from the Scandis: breathe into your gloves to warm them up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Pross wrote:

Re-route it so they didn't have to stop for a bus trip maybe?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • inkyfingers
    Sagan practicing his Pete Townsend-esque finishing line celebration already?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Pretty sure Boonen thinks it should have been abandoned.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Pross wrote:

You can't judge him for something he said while hypothermic at the side of the road... c'mon
    It is tough to race at 2-3 degrees when it is wet, I am sure many true men on this forum would have no problem with that, but PROs don't have 20Kg of body fat... :wink:

True, but pros do have wads of cash to spend on the warmest, most water proof clothing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Jez mon wrote:
    Pross wrote:

If you want to get to Sanremo, you have to cross the "mountains" somehow, unless you reroute them on the motorway and take advantage of the tunnels...
    left the forum March 2023
  • frenchfighter
    I don't think Boonen can win this race anyway. He hasn't got the motivation or the explosiveness anymore to go in a small break and in a sprint he is second rate.

The only thing he seems to be able to do now is ride the cobbles like a champ turning on the power like a locomotive.

Definitely was a true champ and uber heavyweight but has lost that, however doesn't revoke his legendary status. I'm still a big fan.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    A slo-mo shot just shjowed how thoroughly miserable it is out there.
    @JaunePeril

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Haussler must be favourite now.
  • inkyfingers
    Jez mon wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Not sure that would have been possible without lengthening the race significantly, that's without even considering the issues over unexpected road closures etc.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    They always have plan B routes, no?

Why not decide BEFORE they start. Rather than during??
  • frenchfighter
    I miss this Gilbert.

PIC96779S.jpg
    corvos_gilbert.jpeg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    I don't think Boonen can win this race anyway. He hasn't got the motivation or the explosiveness anymore to go in a small break and in a sprint he is second rate.

The only thing he seems to be able to do now is ride the cobbles like a champ turning on the power like a locomotive.
    Definitely was a true champ and uber heavyweight but has lost that, however doesn't revoke his legendary status. I'm still a big fan.

Talking of which is Stannard racing? If so I want to see that diesel pulling when we hit the Cipressa and/or Poggio. Could be an opportunity to show true kryptonite qualities.
    @JaunePeril

• Jez mon
    Jez mon wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Not sure that would have been possible without lengthening the race significantly, that's without even considering the issues over unexpected road closures etc.

I wasn't suggesting it was particularly feasible!

Robbie hunter and chavenel just packed in
  • Chavanel quits too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    edited March 2013
    CHAVANEL abandon..............

He must be smoked. He is a proper hardcore rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    They always have plan B routes, no?

Why not decide BEFORE they start. Rather than during??

Snow doesn't tend to just fall on one small area though does it.

I don't se what else they could have done, personally.
  • Yellow Peril
    Cav very lonely
    @JaunePeril

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    chavanel just abandoned too
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Chavanel out??? humphhh
  • CHAVANEL abandon..............

'Nuts to this. Flanders is in 2 weeks'
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Bak still giving it large at the front. He's tough
    @JaunePeril

• Jez mon
    Sky looking good, or just doing their usual trick of working too much too early in the classics! We'll know which one in a few K!!!