Milan - San Remo *spoiler*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Heavy, cold rain falling in San Remo at the moment. Descending the Poggio will be interesting - "who dares wins" stuff.

Nibali must be happy with this.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Bak getting some hot tea:
    http://instagram.com/p/W9PQUkE6AN/

Great photo that, slightly disappointed it wasn't either a mug or cup and saucer though...
  • Race will restart in Arenzano at 14h30 CET after 'Pausa del Turchino'.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Heavy, cold rain falling in San Remo at the moment. Descending the Poggio will be interesting - "who dares wins" stuff.

Last time he was in contention in an Italian classic, and descended in heavy rain he fell on his face.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • So today he has a chance to fail better then.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    apparently the official statement

Due to the unfavourable weather, the Race Management – by agreement with the Commissaires Panel – has decided to neutralize the race in the stretch of route between Ovada and Arenzano (subject to further assessment of the weather conditions in Arenzano). The race time of the breakaways and their lead over the chasing group will be "frozen" in Ovada and the status quo will then be resumed in Arenzano, where the race will start again around 2:30pm.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Old school MSR. That guy doesn't even have leg, arm or feet warmers. Heavyweights of old.
    BFjlo-3CIAIirlw.jpg:large

137km to race when they restart at 2.30. May struggle with the live pictures if conditions are so bad.

Last time two times a race was run under extreme conditions - Lombardy with Gilbert and Lombardy with JRod. They were EPIC. The Lombardy win with Gilbert showed Nibali descending like a demon in the wet. crashed but was back up and on it again - fortune favours the brave.

Offredo likes the harsh conditions.

My avatar is set up for my preferred winner.

Think those with a nice bus will have an unfair advantage. But money doesn't trump heart.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    Think those with a nice bus will have an unfair advantage. But money doesn't trump heart.

Sky are running a live chat on their website.

Some have suggested that they should set up the turbos on the bus to keep warm.

:lol: :roll: :lol:

They claim their bus isn't 'that big'. They would say that wouldn't they
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    They should loop the Poggio 5 times to make this a real race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

I would think they all have seats, a heater and a stash of dry kit, that's all i'd care about.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    BFjoHyHCQAAPtpF.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Just watching the Sky live text chat.

Maybe they are using the mini death star at this race
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tailwindhome
    iainf72 wrote:

Last time he was in contention in an Italian classic, and descended in heavy rain he fell on his face.

Did alright in TA though.
  • tailwindhome
    tumblr_mjk1j1WuuY1qfcvrto1_400.gif
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Riders crying when stopping coz of the conditions.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    BFjrBItCAAAstDM.jpg:large

Catching the bus
  • frenchfighter
    Some ppl trying to say ^ is ice on the helmets
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    EBH looks so young do you reckon he'll have to pay kids fare on the bus. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I wonder how well Sky's Rapha kit is holding up to that weather :wink:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    David MIllar and Taylor Phinney have some interesting pictures on their twitter feed
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • tailwindhome
    BFjrE10CYAEsXNq.jpg:large
  • inkyfingers
    Some ppl trying to say ^ is ice on the helmets

David Millar posting pictures of Garmin riders with ice/snow stuck on their helmets.

All the riders have aged approximately 10 years since they left Milan.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    BFjt20kCUAAV9nv.jpg

BFjtedkCMAAXCJc.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    Farrar:
    BFjtedkCMAAXCJc.jpg:large

I bet there are a good many flahutes that would want to race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    I wonder how many will quit?
  • inkyfingers
    I wonder how many will quit?

As I said on twitter, it could come down to which team leaders have the toughest domestiques.
  • tailwindhome
    BFjt3aCCMAA94oL.jpg:large
  • frenchfighter
    BFjuPyPCQAA4YYY.jpg:large
    BFjuHWrCEAA4UWS.jpg:large
    BFjtrTBCMAEGIYq.jpg:large

Seeing these photos puts things into perspective I suppose. Probably a good idea to warm them up!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    The average speed in the first 2hrs of the race was 45.1Km/h. That bloody good in those condtions if you ask me. :shock:
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So bizarre getting pics like these from the riders themselves mid race.