Tour of Oman 2013 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Reading 3 doping books back to back is a feat that stretches beyond the realms of accepted literary science perameters into implausibility.
    I can't have faith in anyone who makes such performance claims.

Did hear of someone getting to 2.5 books before developing the early indicators of a stroke, but that was in the olden days when the doping in question was still fun and cheeky - and not so stigmatised...

Bravo! :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Squaggles wrote:
    What a rider Froome is , the antidote to boring Bradley

Is that the Wiggins who won a sprint finish in Romandie last year?

If Froome is at the tour in the kind of condition to win, I'd put money on him riding conservative a-la Wiggins
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    3 doping books back to back? Blimey. No wonder you're feeling cynical. Time for a different type that'll remind you why you love cycling, maybe?

I cant turn to seeing ghosts everywhere, it'd completely ruin things for me. Some on Twatters have already started the whispering about Sagan because of his wins on Oman. I cant be doing with it.

Agreed. I've just started Ned Boulting's book 'How I won the Yellow Jumper'. Good so far...
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:

If Froome is at the tour in the kind of condition to win, I'd put money on him riding conservative a-la Wiggins

To be fair, that was a cracking win.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    3 doping books back to back? Blimey. No wonder you're feeling cynical. Time for a different type that'll remind you why you love cycling, maybe?

I cant turn to seeing ghosts everywhere, it'd completely ruin things for me. Some on Twatters have already started the whispering about Sagan because of his wins on Oman. I cant be doing with it.

Agreed. I've just started Ned Boulting's book 'How I won the Yellow Jumper'. Good so far...
    Good book, don't suppose the others were the millar book, seven deadly sins and the pantani one? Just read them back to back, and my cynical-about-doping-ometer... Well it's pretty much, switched on now.
  • Anyone know why Bouhanni had a plain tricolor jersey on when he won? Looked quite cool but I thought it would have FDJ plastered all over it.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Eddie72 wrote:
    Anyone know why Bouhanni had a plain tricolor jersey on when he won? Looked quite cool but I thought it would have FDJ plastered all over it.

I was wondering this too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    It looks like he was wearing a skinsuit. Maybe they only had an unbranded one to hand - still does't really explain it though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    philbar72 wrote:
    Good book, don't suppose the others were the millar book, seven deadly sins and the pantani one? Just read them back to back, and my cynical-about-doping-ometer... Well it's pretty much, switched on now.

Yes, Yes and Rough Ride (again).
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    iainf72 wrote:
    Squaggles wrote:

Froome has proved several times that he's not that kind of rider. Would be incredibly disappointing if that was the way of doing it in July.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ThomThom wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Squaggles wrote:

Froome has proved several times that he's not that kind of rider. Would be incredibly disappointing if that was the way of doing it in July.

What do you mean 'not that kind of rider'?

Do you mean 'not a winner'?
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    He'll need to be that kind of rider in July to win it. Chasing every attack down is a sure fire way to blow it. I thought he rode Oman well by having Porte do some of the chasing while he worked his way back up.
  • Cuddles' post race interview:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-c ... rt-in-oman

'Guys like Lance Armstrong and Laurent Jalabert came back as better riders after they took a break. I hope the same happens to me'

No, Cuddles, you dont hope the same thing happens with you.

I hope.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    smithy21 wrote:
    He'll need to be that kind of rider in July to win it. Chasing every attack down is a sure fire way to blow it. I thought he rode Oman well by having Porte do some of the chasing while he worked his way back up.

Agreed. Sadly, the Tour is rarely won by a great act of derring do, and more by being smart and using your energies at the right time.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Eddie72 wrote:
    Anyone know why Bouhanni had a plain tricolor jersey on when he won? Looked quite cool but I thought it would have FDJ plastered all over it.

I did read that Madoit insisted on no sponsor logos on the jersey. Dont know whether its true but wouldnt put it past Madoit...and to get away with it with the sponsors...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    iainf72 wrote:

Doesn't that contradict your signature a bit?
  • for those amongst us who are keen Joe Dombrowski watchers

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... addcomment
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I must say that Oman seems like a great place for doing a few miles in the early season but I'd be worried that they'd cut my bits off for drinking booze and be stoned to death for chatting up the local totty.
    Does anyone know anything about Oman??

Jerry :D
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I must say that Oman seems like a great place for doing a few miles in the early season but I'd be worried that they'd cut my bits off for drinking booze and be stoned to death for chatting up the local totty.
    I know it has a great big bloody Starbucks spoiling a really nice stretch of coast.
  • jerry3571 wrote:

Would your chat up line be to ask them if THEY know why the GC guys are racing so hard so early in the season? :wink:
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    No, it's bad enough asking questions like that on here, I think I've already got a Fatwa put on me for my cheekiness. ;)

Jerry :)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    jerry3571 wrote:

Don't seem to mind ex pats drinking in the ex pat areas. It's groaning under the weight of Dutch and Brits who work for Shell.

They will confiscate music and books they don't approve of when you move in though.
  • I am probably alone in this but I am not really into Froome at all. He is a more explosive rider but I think mentally he is going to lose this game. He is already talking about confidence in beating contador and I think he needs to calm down a little.

I think he was probably critical of wiggo last year feeling he should have had chance but much as you all say he is boring I think he had already proven through multiple olympics he can actually take the pressure and work the mental side of the sport. I am not so confident of froome who I can see going into a panic and trying to chase contador down when he hasn't got it and losing a packet. I think many tacticians have noticed that contador has explosive power but slows after he gaps. Actually in that instance setting a high constant pace you can keep ala wiggo and froome with porte last week works to reel him back in instead of blowing up trying to match his attack.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    So what you're saying is that you're worried that Froome isn't capable of doing, err, what he did last week?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    jerry3571 wrote:

Don't seem to mind ex pats drinking in the ex pat areas. It's groaning under the weight of Dutch and Brits who work for Shell.

They will confiscate music and books they don't approve of when you move in though.

I wouldn't be able to take my Slayer CDs or copy of the Bible them? :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Now that's a combination.....

MI0001681633.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

:P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Garry H
    ddraver wrote:
    Now that's a combination.....

MI0001681633.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

:P

Check out the original cover. That's the "blasphemy lite" version.
  • Garry H
    Does anyone think that Contador just quite isn't the same rider as he was 2-3 years ago? I'm now beginning to think that other riders have just realised that his attacks just aren't as devastating, and if they just "plug at it", he'll go into the red and won't be able to recover. Suppose the real answer though lies somewhere in the middle.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Hmmm - not that bad today is it...

Slayer-GodHatesUsAll.jpg

Can imagine how it went down "then" though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Garry H
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmmm - not that bad today is it...

Slayer-GodHatesUsAll.jpg

Can imagine how it went down "then" though...
    A lot of stores refused to stock it. can't stand in the way of profits (prophets!) though!