Should shops now sell horse and would you buy it?

1235»

Comments

• TGOTB wrote:
    Suggestions that the cost of producing horse meat is similar to beef/venison aren't correct; I looked into this a while ago, as I was curious about the economics.

Turns out that horse meat in other parts of Europe (Italy was the example I looked at) is generally a by-product of the large number of horses reared for other purposes including leisure. Horses are quite big, and expensive to look after, and a lot of them are owned by commercial outfits (eg riding stables) who can't afford to be sentimental. When a horse stops paying its way, you don't take it to the vet for an injection and then bury it under the rose bush; you send it to an abbatoir. If the horse was old (as opposed to diseased) the meat will be perfectly edible, and in many countries it will end up in the butchers.

I believe (but haven't actually checked) that exactly the same thing happens in this country, but because we don't like eating dobbin it ends up in pet food instead. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if some British horses aren't exported to other countries for slaughter and human consumption.

This. Somebody here mentioned salami. I daresay many a Briton already eats equids in the form of cured sausages. Here in Belgium smoked horse fillet is widely available and it is cheap and yummy. I believe the Belgii also happily devour raw horse fillet.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    When you go to Zoo and watch them feed the lions and tigers, that is normally horse meat that they are being given.....
    It would not surprise me if a lot of cat and dog food was horse
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CiB wrote:
    That'd be a whole new twist to attending the Quorn Hunt
    Good, v good. :)

Rabbit's good, so is pheasant, goose, reindeer (had it in Finland - a bit chewy but nice) so any opposition to horse is based on sentimentality rather than physiological reasons.

It must have been the norm once anyway - where does the phrase "I'm so hungry I could..." come from?

Santa's beasts of burden are indeed tasty, although I fear you may have had a reindeer fry-up (poronkäristys) made with cheap cuts that may indeed be chewy if improperly stewed. This reindeer herder's lunch is ironically served up to tourists as a high-brow delicacy at a premium price. Choicest reindeer cuts are as tender as beef fillet but obviously staggeringly dear.

Speaking of Nordic meat, elk is delicious as well. Intense flavour, no need for seasoning or even much in the way of salt. Serve with the murkiest red wine you can find.
  • I wonder if some of these stories are exaggerated. I had some horseradish sauce with my dinner last night and I don't believe there was a single horse in it! My wife tells me she has been reading a book called Donkey Oaty and she assures me there are very few references to animals of the equidae family, and none at all to do with donkeys. Perhaps some of these mad cows just think they are horses?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    My wife tells me she has been reading a book called Donkey Oaty and she assures me there are very few references to animals of the equidae family, and none at all to do with donkeys.

She can't be reading it right then! A third of the main characters in that book is a horse :lol:

Piggin' terrible book though.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    on this thread there is an embedded advert for

'Black Horse Loan Refunds'

someone's an advertising genius
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Whose to blame - everyone from points 1 - 3.

Consumers - despite needing to be wiser - IMO are the victims as they were properly duped.
    I agree, DDD. As in all walks of life, there are always people who want to cheat.

If you buy cheap processed food, whether it's burgers or Findus or any other ready-meals, you're getting cheap junk. There are enough people in the food industry who are only doing it for $$$, integrity and your health count for nothing. My rule of thumb is: the less processing that has been done the more of the original ingredients' qualities remain, and the less crap has been added in.

And the "too expensive" excuse won't wash. Everyone can eat healthily, it just takes a bit more thought than spending your time in the microwave ready-meal aisle and 6 minutes @ 850w.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Simon E wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Consumers - despite needing to be wiser - IMO are the victims as they were properly duped.
    I agree, DDD. As in all walks of life, there are always people who want to cheat.

If you buy cheap processed food, whether it's burgers or Findus or any other ready-meals, you're getting cheap junk. There are enough people in the food industry who are only doing it for $$$, integrity and your health count for nothing. My rule of thumb is: the less processing that has been done the more of the original ingredients' qualities remain, and the less crap has been added in.

And the "too expensive" excuse won't wash. Everyone can eat healthily, it just takes a bit more thought than spending your time in the microwave ready-meal aisle and 6 minutes @ 850w.
    Yeppers, the worry for me now is, 'how do I know my sirloin and lamb chop is actually beef and lamb?'
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Simon E wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I agree, DDD. <snip>.

Well, this thread just took a whole new twist.... :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yeppers, the worry for me now is, 'how do I know my sirloin and lamb chop is actually beef and lamb?'

If all else fails, you can always resort to the old fashioned solution of tasting it rather than just relying on the label.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Sketchley wrote:
    When you go to Zoo and watch them feed the lions and tigers, that is normally horse meat that they are being given.....

Any reason why it shouldn't be?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I saw this the other day in my local tesco's, made me chuckle. I couldn't help thinking that somewhere there's a load of them cakes that are just decorated actual horse heads.

tesco-birthday-cake-pretty-my-little-pony-girls-childrens-pink-party-horse_zpsc4d6ae7a.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Sketchley wrote:
    Quite likely. Laws governing food labelling (and contents) are different for pet food from that for human consumption.

And don't forget that feeding meat and bonemeal to herbivores gave us BSE.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.