Should shops now sell horse and would you buy it?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    davis wrote:
    So, no opinion yet, 'cos I haven't thought about it enough.
    Maybe you should have a snack while you contemplate. A chicken wrap perhaps? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    rjsterry wrote:
    chiken_burger_by_kloudmutt-d4fdrul.png

My Lidl pony?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    So the real question is, could I not sue <<insert restaurant/food supplier>> for false advertising or selling me an unsafe product. Greg, you're the commerical lawyer come on! Dondaddyd vs Burger King.
    Burger King claim their burgers are 100% beef, but this may just be a Big Whopper. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    I'd go a Quarter Panda
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'd go a Quarter Panda

A quarter pand with geese please. and flies.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Suggestions that the cost of producing horse meat is similar to beef/venison aren't correct; I looked into this a while ago, as I was curious about the economics.

Turns out that horse meat in other parts of Europe (Italy was the example I looked at) is generally a by-product of the large number of horses reared for other purposes including leisure. Horses are quite big, and expensive to look after, and a lot of them are owned by commercial outfits (eg riding stables) who can't afford to be sentimental. When a horse stops paying its way, you don't take it to the vet for an injection and then bury it under the rose bush; you send it to an abbatoir. If the horse was old (as opposed to diseased) the meat will be perfectly edible, and in many countries it will end up in the butchers.

I believe (but haven't actually checked) that exactly the same thing happens in this country, but because we don't like eating dobbin it ends up in pet food instead. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if some British horses aren't exported to other countries for slaughter and human consumption.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'd go a Quarter Panda

A quarter pand with geese please. and flies.

I dont mind a bit of goose, any bit will do as well.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Am I the only one who opened this thread thinking it would be about legalisation of hard drugs?

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    TGOTB wrote:
    Suggestions that the cost of producing horse meat is similar to beef/venison aren't correct; I looked into this a while ago, as I was curious about the economics.

Turns out that horse meat in other parts of Europe (Italy was the example I looked at) is generally a by-product of the large number of horses reared for other purposes including leisure. Horses are quite big, and expensive to look after, and a lot of them are owned by commercial outfits (eg riding stables) who can't afford to be sentimental. When a horse stops paying its way, you don't take it to the vet for an injection and then bury it under the rose bush; you send it to an abbatoir. If the horse was old (as opposed to diseased) the meat will be perfectly edible, and in many countries it will end up in the butchers.

I believe (but haven't actually checked) that exactly the same thing happens in this country, but because we don't like eating dobbin it ends up in pet food instead. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if some British horses aren't exported to other countries for slaughter and human consumption.

The thing is, there are quite strict controls on use of drugs in animals that are raised for meat, which probably won't have been followed in animals originally kept for pony-trekking or whatever. They won't have ear tags and records, so the provenance of the meat just isn't there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I doubt farmed horse would end up cheaper, though. Once it's deliberate and advertised as such, it'd become a premium product.

Working in my trade, I've slowly learned that the GenPub don't like to go to far beyond the "safe" meat choices, at least in less cosmopolitan settings. Venison can be a push, duck is only part-way toward respectability. Most game is a bit of a struggle to move. Fish is even more perplexing. People are really reluctant to even try some of the less common varieties, even though they're much cheaper and just as tasty as the ones they're used to. Gurnard is every bit as nice as monkfsh for a quarter the outlay, and megrim is a much tastier fish than the more common and much, much more spendy sole.

I'm reaching the conclusion that the preponderance of food telly is just scenery to most.

Sorry but that is bollocks :lol: . I grew up in Spain and ate all sorts of fish when I was a kid, 3 or even 4 times a week. I have eaten megrim enough times to know it is just the poor brother of sole. Give me a nice sole any day of the week. Regarding the sea robin, yes, it is nice, as nice as monkfish and it is cheaper but the bones... There are far too many, that is probably the reason for the price difference.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    schweiz wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    I'm vegetarian. We laugh at your dilemma :lol:
    Mind if I join you in a smug snigger ? :D

Just you wait until horse meat is found in Linda McCartney Deep Country Pies...we'll see who's sniggering then!

:D

It's worse than that. Apparently they've found traces of Uniquorn.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Meat is meat. Horsemeat, cowmeat, rabbit, chicken, all the same to me.
  • It's just meat, so sure, I'd eat it.

As far as I can see the only reasons not to eat particular animals are cultural or religious. Dog gets wolfed down in the Far East, cows are sacred in India, the French eat horses, frogs, sparrows and snails, and until relatively recently some in PNG used to eat each other. It just so happens that outside wartime, in this country we've been culturally opposed to eating horse (although I am fairly sure I have seen a lady eating donkey on the Internet; she seemed not to like it though, and threw up).

As for suing, well, you could anyone for selling or serving you unsafe food, no matter what it is.

Slice of hare pie, anyone?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    TGOTB wrote:

All the horses slaughtered in this country are exported as whole or split carcases. ETA: all the horses slaughtered at approved abattoirs.
  • rhext wrote:
    schweiz wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    I'm vegetarian. We laugh at your dilemma :lol:
    Mind if I join you in a smug snigger ? :D

Just you wait until horse meat is found in Linda McCartney Deep Country Pies...we'll see who's sniggering then!

:D

It's worse than that. Apparently they've found traces of Uniquorn.
    I thought quorn came from horses anyway. They don't call it quorn on the cob for nothing...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    rjsterry wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Snip.

The thing is, there are quite strict controls on use of drugs in animals that are raised for meat, which probably won't have been followed in animals originally kept for pony-trekking or whatever. They won't have ear tags and records, so the provenance of the meat just isn't there.

Maybe supermarkets should do a bargain grab bag of mystery meat for poor people or the unfussy. it's be good for BBQs and a good way to dipose of old 'osses.

They could do a Probably horse bag, a probably beef bag etc.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • This thread is making me hungry.

Think I might start with horse d'oeuvres, then a mane course (Findus claim that their Italian range definitely doesn't contain horse so I might have their Lassieagne) with Apple Piebald to finish.

Yum
  • Would sir care for some brightly coloured Rum as a digestif?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • prawny wrote:
    Maybe supermarkets should do a bargain grab bag of mystery meat for poor people or the unfussy. it's be good for BBQs and a good way to dipose of old 'osses.
    Good idea. They could call it a Shergar Dib Dab :roll:
  • rubertoe wrote:
    I dont mind a bit of goose, any bit will do as well.
    PM me your address so I can send you the bill.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    prawny wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Snip.

They could do a Probably horse bag, a probably beef bag etc.

Willhub's already at the front of the queue to grab his bargain bag! Cheaper than the Arndale Market too!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'd eat a camel toe - heheheh...

couldn't resist.

What about moose knuckle....?

Look it up.....
  • Would sir care for some brightly coloured Rum as a digestif?

Don't know about digestif but I reckon you could certain get a pair of teeth from said horse. :roll:
  • It's all relative:

395629_534884546556181_670371024_n.jpg

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    It's all relative:

Not sure I fancy this Ironman diet of yours. Still, good to see you've stocked up.
  • It's all relative:

Not sure I fancy this Ironman diet of yours. Still, good to see you've stocked up.
    What makes you think he bought them to eat?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Weird; just nothced this on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21316921

And DDD starts this thread on the 30th anniversary......I smell a rat, or roasted horse
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why would a rectum have bones in it?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    No problem with horse, likewise Rabbit both should be more popular than they are. I have no problem Goat.

There is a problem with Horse, which should be a concern with what has gone on recently and that if the meat is entering the food change unregulated and some drugs are entering the food change in meat not entended for human consumption. This is one very good reason to farm, regulate and make available in the uk. I'd also be keen to see something on environmental impact of horse vs cow as the latter produces a lot of methane.....

Without looking at the url of the images below, what are these and have you every tried them? I have, they are yummy!

20091013-duck-tongue-cooked.jpg

20091013-duck-tongue-raw.jpg
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Weird; just nothced this on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21316921

And DDD starts this thread on the 30th anniversary......I smell a rat, or roasted horse

http://www.rte.ie/sport/x.htm
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5