Should shops now sell horse and would you buy it?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Right then,

I go into Morrisons and I've got an option of chicken, turkey, pork, lamb and beef, and now that I have been forced to accept my 'upper-lower middle class' status, venison. Oh, and when I'm feeling decidedly Jamaican I am quite partial to the odd goat (which you can't get it Morrisons) curried into a 'curry-goat' or ox-tail.

All of which, are damn expensive. Damn expensive. Why? Because Jamie, Gordon, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall et al using Ms DDD as the medium have forced me to accept that this is evil. So now I check every packet of chicken I buy to ensure that the bird and his friends are corn fed and have been allowed to 'perch and play' preferably with the benefit of natural light.

The rest? My eggs are free range and I try to get the other meat from british farms. My fish or sea based products are line caught and hand dived. The result is likely to be something like this as oppose to this. Or as my brain understands it: damn expensive.

So horses then, should they be farmed and added to the mass food market in the UK as an alternative cheaper version of beef and other red meats?

Would you buy/eat it?

If not why not?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• I'm vegetarian. We laugh at your dilemma :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm of the opinion that we should eat it and it should be farmed, if its good enough for the french then its good enough for me.

But then again, there really isnt anything that I wont eat, provided its edible and wont kill me. I look forward to the day when I can buy horsemeat, i'd imagine that its damn tasty.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Haven't the French been happily eating the stuff for ever or is this just an urban myth?

We used to wind the kids up rotten that the very pleasant local burgers were pure cheval when we did a BBQs at the outdoor activity centre I worked at in France one summer. Mind you most of the kids would believe anything and equally the burgers could have been pure cheval. :? :)

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I'm vegetarian. We laugh at your dilemma :lol:
    But are you for or against horse-shaped Quorn?
  • I'd eat horse surely, have done so in the past.

There's an absolute abundance, nay, a pestilence of rabbit about too. Why we're not eating the tasty little buggers I'll never know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why ever not?

What I'd really like to try though is Panda and Koala. I bet they taste nice.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I couldn't eat Rabbit, Ms DDD made me try it in Menorca... felt wrong.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yes. Horse is delicious. I went to a very good restaurant in Switzerland a few years ago where horse was the only meat on the menu. Horse steak is delicious.
  • rubertoe
    Rolf F wrote:
    Why ever not?

What I'd really like to try though is Panda and Koala. I bet they taste nice.

For its anticeptic properties?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• rolf_f
    edited February 2013
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I couldn't eat Rabbit, Ms DDD made me try it in Menorca... felt wrong.

Rabbit is nice. Nothing wrong with eating those. And what were you doing in Menorca. Mallorca is the one with Sa Calobra......
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Yeah I'd eat horse. Turns out we all probably have in the past. And if it tastes pretty much like beef, why not?

Rabbit too, though the wife would disagree on that one!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've been saying we should eat horse for years. Probably be a bit tough though as the muscles have to work hard. Probably why cheap tesco burgers have a bit of 'snap' about them. Saw this morning that a findus lasagne was 100% horse, I'd give that a go, see what it really tasted like.

Rabbit's are ok, not enough meat on em for my liking, but there's a few butchers by me that sell em.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    No issues with eating dobbin whatsoever (that sounds wrong, put like that), but that's not at all the issue. The point is that, post-BSE, there are a lot of safeguards in place to make sure you can trace a pack of diced stewing steak to the abbatoir, and indeed the farm from which it came. If horsemeat is getting in then someone is completely subverting the whole system. And if they are doing that, then who knows what else they are doing.

Whether it's economic to farm them for meat is another matter. I'd be amazed if horsemeat were cheaper to produce than beef, at least if it were done with all the right controls. The only reason this meat was 'cheap' was that it shouldn't have been in the food chain in the first place.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen wrote:
    I'm vegetarian. We laugh at your dilemma :lol:
    But are you for or against horse-shaped Quorn?

That'd be a whole new twist to attending the Quorn Hunt
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Absolutely nothing wrong with eating horse meat. It's lovely. There's some horse steak in the freezer at home an I'll be eating cured horse meat for lunch in about 10 minutes.

I'll have to admit that it took me a couple of years of living in Switzerland get over the cultural issue of eating horse meat but once that barrier was broken down there was no stopping me! Foal meat is especially good.

The issue with the burgers and lasagne for me is that people thought they were buying beef and were paying for beef which is more expensive than horse meat rather than the fact that they ate horse meat.
  • I doubt farmed horse would end up cheaper, though. Once it's deliberate and advertised as such, it'd become a premium product.

Working in my trade, I've slowly learned that the GenPub don't like to go to far beyond the "safe" meat choices, at least in less cosmopolitan settings. Venison can be a push, duck is only part-way toward respectability. Most game is a bit of a struggle to move. Fish is even more perplexing. People are really reluctant to even try some of the less common varieties, even though they're much cheaper and just as tasty as the ones they're used to. Gurnard is every bit as nice as monkfsh for a quarter the outlay, and megrim is a much tastier fish than the more common and much, much more spendy sole.

I'm reaching the conclusion that the preponderance of food telly is just scenery to most.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    No issues with eating dobbin whatsoever (that sounds wrong, put like that), but that's not at all the issue. The point is that, post-BSE, there are a lot of safeguards in place to make sure you can trace a pack of diced stewing steak to the abbatoir, and indeed the farm from which it came. If horsemeat is getting in then someone is completely subverting the whole system. And if they are doing that, then who knows what else they are doing.

Whether it's economic to farm them for meat is another matter. I'd be amazed if horsemeat were cheaper to produce than beef, at least if it were done with all the right controls. The only reason this meat was 'cheap' was that it shouldn't have been in the food chain in the first place.

+1

from the bbc report I saw this morning they were mentioning criminal gangs...and I'm guessing they dont give a flying f*ck about meat quality or what damage bad meat could do to people...though having said that no ones been sick as a result of eating this have they?
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    No issues with eating dobbin whatsoever (that sounds wrong, put like that), but that's not at all the issue.

No, it is the point! Issues of how dud meat gets into the food chain is very different to whether or not it is OK to eat cute Shetland ponies. This is a simple question - should shops now sell horse and would you buy it? Not - how did dud, potentially unsafe meat get into the system?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Horse is some good eatin'.

No problem with that, or donkey, or most mammals for that matter. Not ready to move to insects yet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • i'm not adverse to a juicy Red Rum[p] steak, but maybe we ought to eat Zebra instead - no danger of being little Jemmima's pony and even comes bar-coded ready to go through supermarket tills.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Horse meat Swedish style.

397985_10151276530023171_2081929109_n.jpg

IIRC I had the Alpaca

484207_10150907035553171_1815396474_n.jpg

not had Roo ,Camel or Zebra yet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • schweiz
    I doubt farmed horse would end up cheaper, though. Once it's deliberate and advertised as such, it'd become a premium product.

I don't know the relative costs of raising cattle for meat against horses but here in Switzerland horse is seen as a cheaper alternative to beef rather than a premium product. Interestingly, most of the horse meat I buy seems to be from Canada!
  • schweiz
    Oh and if you're ever in South Africa, try the Kudu....gorgeous meat!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Can feel a bit wrong to be eating Shergar.......But I am cool with it.

I don't think I could eat a Shetland pony though, well, not a whole one anyway..... :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Alpaca?! Really?! Mostly air and fur aren't they?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Horse ? Bring it on!
    I spent my early working life in France, where I'd get treated to all the specialities that people thought might put me off (soup with snails, frogs' legs, horse,...).

Needless to say I scoffed the lot and asked for seconds !
    Misguided Idealist
  • rubertoe
    The whole how it got into the food chain is a good point, i'd imagine like most places Findus outsource the making of their products and then just stick them in findus packaging, and if horse meat is cheap, then it's going to be used.

Rabbit is delicious BTW, my mums neighbour regularly goes shooting so we used to end up with all sorts of game in the fridge/freezer or hanging fron the kitchen ceiling.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rubertoe wrote:
    Rabbit is delicious BTW, my mums neighbour regularly goes shooting so we used to end up with all sorts of game in the fridge/freezer or hanging fron the kitchen ceiling.
    Rabit and Pigeon game pie. NomNomNom
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rubertoe wrote:
    we used to end up with all sorts of game in the fridge/freezer or hanging fron the kitchen ceiling.
    Aren't you worried about the Risk?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Would I eat horse....neigh :lol:

Was in a Leader supermarket in france, as opposed to a butchers who do sell horse, and they had horsemeat on the shleves and also lamb and sheeps brains - which used to be a common food in this country - I thought there was an eu banning brains but in the french supermarket it was like a day at the races. :D

I also read in a QI book I got a while back that dog is quite popular in......Sweden of all places.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.