Should shops now sell horse and would you buy it?

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    France have specific butchers for horse (Boucherie Chevaline) and Spain and Italy will still serve it - a lot of the best italian salami has donkey meat in it

horse is leaner than beef - I wouldn't have a problem with eating it from a proper butchers, it's more important however that we use more of the animals that we do eat, so much of the cattle is discarded simply because the less premium cuts like beef flank for example is just sent for dogfood because we don't know what we are doing... support your local butcher
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Chris,

They are tongue of some sorts.

I'm going to a restaurant in a few weeks where the speciality is Chicken Hearts, they are small but very delicious
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why would a rectum have bones in it?

Great Questions Asked By A&E Doctors, no 75.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

ARMAGEDDON!!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Why would it be inverted?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rubertoe wrote:
    Chris,

They are tongue of some sorts.

I'm going to a restaurant in a few weeks where the speciality is Chicken Hearts, they are small but very delicious

Like meat Haribo!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Clearly you don't know what a rectum is, here let me find yours.....

"Yep, drop those. Yes, the finger presses against there. No, there. Slightly push upwards against the muscle flow. Yes, its an exit hole we can still get up it. Yes, the nerve endings make that feel awesome. Yes, it feels like you shouldn't but should. Put a vibe up there its awesome. Yep, I'm still going. Too Deep, nah we're in flavour country now! No, no, don't push. What are you doing! Ew... for f-sake... lets try again and this time with lube."

That's where your rectum is, about as bone filled as the vjay.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Ian.B
    Eh? Do you know what inverted is?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

"Yep, drop those. Yes, the finger presses against there. No, there. Slightly push upwards against the muscle flow. Yes, its an exit hole we can still get up it. Yes, the nerve endings make that feel awesome. Yes, it feels like you shouldn't but should. Put a vibe up there its awesome. Yep, I'm still going. Too Deep, nah we're in flavour country now! No, no, don't push. What are you doing! Ew... for f-sake... lets try again and this time with lube."

Were you the giver or the taker? On second thoughts, don't answer.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Firstly, can I commend DDD for what is a great Friday pm debate. My take is I'll eat most things apart from dog. Have had horsemeat many times in the past and it's always been fantastic. Cultural issues as to why different countries eat different animals fascinate me - why one and not the other?

As a whole-hearted carnivore, I'll eat the meat / flesh, although I'm a bit worried about the internal organs (brains particularly) given that we're not 100% sure exactly how they work (although that's a different argument.)

I reckon Greg T (paging?) could inject some sensible Man debate into this one.... :)
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Ian.B
    Edit - double post
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    I don't think I could eat horse and more than I could eat dog or cat*. As someone else pointed out it's a cultural/conditioning thing. Humans have developed a relationship with these animals as domestic animals and companions. Eating them seems unnatural to me.

There are also animals I wouldn't eat as I would consider them 'dirty'. Rodents of any description would come under this category.

* Page 4 and still no 'pussy' jokes.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What would you like me to be? :wink:

Yes but even if you inverted the rectum itself it wouldn't have any bones. The rectum by itself doesn't have any bones - as I understand it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD

* Page 4 and still no 'pussy' jokes.....

Way back on page 2 (I think) I made a joke about eating camel toe...
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,391
    edhornby wrote:
    France have specific butchers for horse (Boucherie Chevaline) and Spain and Italy will still serve it - a lot of the best italian salami has donkey meat in it

horse is leaner than beef - I wouldn't have a problem with eating it from a proper butchers, it's more important however that we use more of the animals that we do eat, so much of the cattle is discarded simply because the less premium cuts like beef flank for example is just sent for dogfood because we don't know what we are doing... support your local butcher
    There was a horse butcher up the road from my grandparents in Verona when I was a kid. Can't remember the name for it in Italian at the moment.
  • Ian.B
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What would you like me to be? :wink:

Yes but even if you inverted the rectum itself it wouldn't have any bones. The rectum by itself doesn't have any bones - as I understand it.

Is anyone suggesting it does?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2013
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Whoa, mindjack. I just had another look at the box of Boneless Pork Rectums only to find the word 'inverted' on there - and it wasn't there before...

Damn, I look like an arse..
    Food Chain number = 4

• I've only just arrived at the end of this thread and I'm more than slightly perplexed as to how it ended up discussing rectums/bones :shock: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Has anyone noticed how ironic it is that they announce the confirmation of Richard III's remains and then horses turn up everywhere?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ian.B
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Whoa, mindjack. I just had another look at the box of Boneless Pork Rectums only to find the word 'inverted' on there - and it wasn't there before...

Damn, I look like an ars*..

It was an interesting diversion!
    I've only just arrived at the end of this thread and I'm more than slightly perplexed as to how it ended up discussing rectums/bones :shock: :wink:

Blame WBW!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Has anyone noticed how ironic it is that they announce the confirmation of Richard III's remains and then horses turn up everywhere?

*applauds*

*steals*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

So he doesnt fall over at the dispatch box. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think the stable door is now closed on this debate.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    and the horse is balti :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Ian.B
    rubertoe wrote:
    and the horse is balti :wink:

:lol: world class pun
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Am I the only one who opened this thread thinking it would be about legalisation of hard drugs?
    Absolutely. Legalising H would eliminate criminality associated with the supply chain, allow tracability of ingredients, and improve safety for the consumer.

I think that's how it works for beef.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Quote from BBC re Tesco Bol-nag-ese
    Tesco became the latest firm to announce it was dropping French food supplier Comigel after DNA tests on the frozen bolognese were known.
    The supermarket giant took the spaghetti bolognese off the shelves when it found out it came from the same factory as Findus beef lasagne, also at the centre of the horsemeat controversy.
    Tesco said the level of contamination suggested Comigel had not been "not following the appropriate production process".
    Some meat products have been withdrawn in France, Sweden and the Netherlands, as well as the UK Tesco Group technical director Tim Smith said: "We are very sorry that we have let customers down."

Now Comigel is supplied by another company called Spanghero (or maybe Spnaghero) which imported the dodgy meat from suppliers including those from Romania that were mincing the dobbins.

So, the criminal act probably occured at a Romanian abbatoir and inadequate testing repeatedly followed. Thing is, Tesco is sacking Comigel for a crime that wasn't commited by them. All Comigel did was fail to test properly - which is bad enough but something that can equally be applied to Tesco - both were. But logically, Tesco should therefore be recommending that nobody shops at Tesco anymore because surely Tesco are no less culpable than Comigel. Everyone in the process who failed to test the meat is as culpable as anyone else in the chain. The only people who are more guilty in this are those that put the illegal diced dobbin into the system in the first place. If Tesco think we should still shop in their shops (not that I do there or at any other supermarket) then they shouldn't be blaming the other middlemen who are no worse than they are.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    No one is gonna want to take blame for this.

0. Lots of lazy People (chicken nugget generation) demand processed ready meals and don't really care about quality of the product.

1. Supermarkets determined to meet the demands of the consumer while increasing their profit margins offer suppliers a price far too low to provide food stuff consumers are demanding.

2. Suppliers reduce the quality of the product to a worrying extent. They also put pressure on farms/abbatoirs to provide meat and other food stuff at a unsustainable price

3. Farms/abbatoirs cannot afford to produce the meat at the price they are being paid so look for cheaper and sometimes illegal alternatives to survive.

Systems f*cked.

Whose to blame - everyone from points 1 - 3.

Consumers - despite needing to be wiser - IMO are the victims as they were properly duped. It says beef, it should be beef. Supermarkets and suppliers greed and abbatoirs lack of integrity are to blame IMO. I would expect more regulation and quite possibly a fine, sanctions and legal action where appropriate at all levels of the food industry.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I bought this in the Alps the other week, it's very tasty.

8468605228_461b5d283f_n.jpg

A flavour similar to other dried sausages but with a little bit more kick :lol:
    Misguided Idealist
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Then there's the rumour about human DNA being found in a lot of welsh lamb!