Should shops now sell horse and would you buy it?

Comments

• Asprilla wrote:
    Horse is some good eatin'.

No problem with that, or donkey, or most mammals for that matter. Not ready to move to insects yet.
    Yeah, I'd have a problem with insects - which is daft considering I really like prawns.

Nothing wrong with a bit of horse. The worrying thing is that major food retailers seem to have no control over what is in their products. If they don't even know what animal it's from then how can they know whether it's diseased, whether it's been slaughtered according to welfare and hygiene standards etc.?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    rubertoe wrote:
    we used to end up with all sorts of game in the fridge/freezer or hanging fron the kitchen ceiling.
    Aren't you worried about the Risk?
    but meat doesn't have a monopoly on risk, so if you don't have a cluedo n't post on here. I'm scrabbling for more examples though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I also read in a QI book I got a while back that dog is quite popular in......Sweden of all places.
    never came across that in 11 years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I have no problem eating Thumper, Bambi, Daisy, Bo's little lamb, Donald or Porky, why would I have trouble with Shergar?

Your price point is moot though as horse meat will be no cheaper to produce than quality beef or venison.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Just for info; BBQ squirrel is pretty good too.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    So the real question is, could I not sue <<insert restaurant/food supplier>> for false advertising or selling me an unsafe product. Greg, you're the commerical lawyer come on! Dondaddyd vs Burger King.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • daviesee wrote:
    Your price point is moot though as horse meat will be no cheaper to produce than quality beef or venison.
    True. I believe venison is a little deer.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I've had horse in Italy, delicious. My wife, a veggie, wasn't so keen on me eating it. My mother often makes rabbit stew, also delicious. I've also had brains, not bad but a bit odd.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    bompington wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    we used to end up with all sorts of game in the fridge/freezer or hanging fron the kitchen ceiling.
    but meat doesn't have a monopoly on risk, so if you don't have a cluedo n't post on here. I'm scrabbling for more examples though.

The risk of what?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That'd be a whole new twist to attending the Quorn Hunt
    Good, v good. :)

Rabbit's good, so is pheasant, goose, reindeer (had it in Finland - a bit chewy but nice) so any opposition to horse is based on sentimentality rather than physiological reasons.

It must have been the norm once anyway - where does the phrase "I'm so hungry I could..." come from?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'd eat a camel toe - heheheh...

couldn't resist.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've eaten horse and kangaroo, wild boar, cute fluffy bunnies and lots of game. It's all tasty.

What's more important to me is the meat's provenance, and the fact the animal I'm eating didn't eat meat itself. I wouldn't, for example, eat dog.

Having said that I won't eat dolphin, turtle, or a few other "special" animals. I also won't eat (Pâté de) Foie Gras, even though it's delicious, because I wouldn't be happy force-feeding animals. I won't eat anything I wouldn't have been happy to [capable of] kill/produce myself...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    rubertoe wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

The risk of what?

Bad puns
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Asprilla wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

The risk of what?

Bad puns

Doh,

IGMC.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    People should add grey squirrel to the list. Admittedly they are thin, but leaving a net out in the garden would be easy.

In terms of the Findus issue, I'd like the enquiry to investigate the wholesale cost of beef of the quality that they said they were ordering, and to then investigate if Findus was underpaying e.g they knew respectable suppliers couldn't meet the price for the specification, but decided not to ask.

I think that this type of question applied to this issue and government procurements (non food) would show up the management more than the technicals typically focused on.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    I wish someone would eat the hoofed bast*rds that leave massive dumps on the bridleway I have to ride along in the dark on the way home. Hit one of those at 20mph and you'll know about it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    davis wrote:
    What's more important to me is the meat's provenance,
    now this is mad

"Swedes eat 70 tonnes of fake beef"

http://www.thelocal.se/45440/20130105/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • asprilla
    davmaggs wrote:
    People should add grey squirrel to the list. Admittedly they are thin, but leaving a net out in the garden would be easy.

I've mentioned it already. I shoot them in the back garden and then BBQ them. Not much meat but they are good to snack on whilst tending the steaks.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Right then,

I go into Morrisons and I've got an option of chicken, turkey, pork, lamb and beef, and now that I have been forced to accept my 'upper-lower middle class' status, venison. Oh, and when I'm feeling decidedly Jamaican I am quite partial to the odd goat (which you can't get it Morrisons) curried into a 'curry-goat' or ox-tail.

I got this far and just burst out laughing

Horse meat is tasty, it would never be cheap in the uk
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    davis wrote:
    I've eaten horse and kangaroo, wild boar, cute fluffy bunnies and lots of game. It's all tasty.

What's more important to me is the meat's provenance, and the fact the animal I'm eating didn't eat meat itself. I wouldn't, for example, eat dog.

Having said that I won't eat dolphin, turtle, or a few other "special" animals. I also won't eat (Pâté de) Foie Gras, even though it's delicious, because I wouldn't be happy force-feeding animals. I won't eat anything I wouldn't have been happy to [capable of] kill/produce myself...

What about fish.. a lot of those eat other fish

Pigs will most likely have been cannibals or chicken in their feed.. as will chickens have eaten various forms of meat. I've seen a chicken eat a mouse before... unnerving.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Oh, squirrel isn't a bad ould bite at all.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Clever Pun wrote:
    davis wrote:

What about fish.. a lot of those eat other fish

Pigs will most likely have been cannibals or chicken in their feed.. as will chickens have eaten various forms of meat. I've seen a chicken eat a mouse before... unnerving.

Hmm. Bugger. You and your uncanny ability to make me question my values. Hadn't even considered the pig aspect (though I'm not sure why; I *knew* pigs are complete omnivores). Not sure I'm too worried about fish v. fish or chicken v. mouse, but I should think about it a bit.

So, no opinion yet, 'cos I haven't thought about it enough.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Asprilla wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:

I've mentioned it already. I shoot them in the back garden and then BBQ them. Not much meat but they are good to snack on whilst tending the steaks.

I now have a reason to buy an air rifle, always wanted one. A shotgun ruins the fence.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    now+made+with+real+chicken.jpeg

Anyone for Spaghetti Bologneighs instead?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    chiken_burger_by_kloudmutt-d4fdrul.png
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rubertoe wrote:
    The whole how it got into the food chain is a good point, i'd imagine like most places Findus outsource the making of their products and then just stick them in findus packaging, and if horse meat is cheap, then it's going to be used.

Rabbit is delicious BTW, my mums neighbour regularly goes shooting so we used to end up with all sorts of game in the fridge/freezer or hanging fron the kitchen ceiling.

Yeah... Findus found contaminated meat in their Fish fingers... Sea Horse. :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I'm vegetarian. We laugh at your dilemma :lol:
    Mind if I join you in a smug snigger ? :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    davmaggs wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:

I now have a reason to buy an air rifle, always wanted one. A shotgun ruins the fence.

Plus there's so little meat on a squirrel, you risk puree-ing it at close range
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Even though I'll eat veal, fish,rabbit, beef, game, lamb and pork, and will eat offal until it's coming out of my ears, I have to say I do draw the line at horse. I have no idea why. Used to ride when I was younger, and you do get to know the different characters - so maybe I see them more as a pet then as a steak.

PS: I am at the moment eating a piece of what I've been reliably informed is ostrich biltong, given to me by a South African colleague. It's very chewy and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Andy9964 wrote:
    I'm vegetarian. We laugh at your dilemma :lol:
    Mind if I join you in a smug snigger ? :D

Just you wait until horse meat is found in Linda McCartney Deep Country Pies...we'll see who's sniggering then!

:D