Six Nations Thread

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Borefest? 82,000 people turned up a twickenham to watch eng v fra on sat. How many turned up to eng vs fra at craven park last year for the maching league game? Viewing figures for England 6 nation matches are over 6million. What are the tv figures for rl internationals?

The simple fact is apart from inside the m62 the union game is much more popular and that wouldn't be the case if it was a borefest as you describe....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • i'm struggling to think of a more polarising subject! I don't think religion comes anywhere near!

At the end of the day its Rugby. A good game of either code is a good game etc etc

And having played both codes (spending most of my League career in Surrey of all places) i can say that i've found in the main that genuine Rugby folk have a massive appreciation for both codes. At the end of the day you are putting your body through a lot in either code

Both codes have nothing to fear from each other nowadays. There is a bigger rival hoovering up any ball playing athletes...

Anyway

Great Win for Scotland. somehow. the stats at the end were most amusing!
  • ukg3pxc wrote:
    i'm struggling to think of a more polarising subject!

Erm - helmets? :lol::wink:

I guess I see this so many times though. A 6 Nations thread where a League-ist chips in to say it's boring. Simple answer: do what I do with League (and darts and snooker and lawn bowls) and don't watch it! :roll: :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sketchley
    Everytime I see a union vs league 'debate' it's always started by a northerner with a chip on his / her shoulder.....
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    Everytime I see a union vs league 'debate' it's always started by a northerner with a chip on his / her shoulder.....

interestingly you may want to have a read back through this thread to see "who started it" with a tired old lie trotted out by rugby "fans" with an agenda
  • ukg3pxc wrote:
    i'm struggling to think of a more polarising subject!

Erm - helmets? :lol::wink:

I guess I see this so many times though. A 6 Nations thread where a League-ist chips in to say it's boring. Simple answer: do what I do with League (and darts and snooker and lawn bowls) and don't watch it! :roll: :wink::wink:

It was the wrong place to discuss. I'm sure you can imagine what will happen when or even if a thread about the RL world cup is started.

like you've said. each to their own. I 'm one of the lucky few who likes watching both. perhaps i'm just evenly balanced with a rugby chip on each shoulder

time for a truce and to leave this thread to the 6 nations
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    ukg3pxc wrote:
    How dare you!
    Trying to bring some common sense to this Forum. Whatever next? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • sketchley
    ukg3pxc wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

interestingly you may want to have a read back through this thread to see "who started it" with a tired old lie trotted out by rugby "fans" with an agenda

Who me? I'm innocent I tell you!
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    ukg3pxc wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Who me? I'm innocent I tell you!

let me guess. there was an intruder on your internet so your grabbed your keyboard and fired off four shots... :wink::)

anyhoo

Owen Farrell seemed to let the occasion get the better of him on Saturday
  • daviesee wrote:
    ukg3pxc wrote:
    How dare you!
    Trying to bring some common sense to this Forum. Whatever next? :wink:

All sport is fine with me. Just as long as it involves Australia being beaten

which is a sad state of affairs for anyone who appreciates RL! :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I'm a relieved Englishman this morning...Not sure we entirely deserved that, but I ll take it!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • there's some real strength in depth in this squad too
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    bompington wrote:
    ...and I could never understand why league fans always criticise union for being "stop-start"... when league stops every time someone is tackled?
    It's just touch rugby for men on steroids :evil:
    Clearly every ruck, maul, scrum, lineout lasts many many times longer than a 3-4 second tackle/play the ball. That even at international level the plyers can have a fag and a cuppa whilst the ball is being wiped, opposing sides lines are sorted, hooker have a chin wag with the scrum half at the line out.
    Even with the new scrum format (which can still take 30 seconds from the last touch of the ball) and refs more likely to penalise quicker you can catch your death.
    Like I said, I played both codes, I enjoyed both (when I played flanker anyway) but the level of play and intensity in union isn't even close, especially so at amatuer level.

That someone quoted that 82K fans turned out at twickers means jack in the context of my point, people go mostly for the social occasion, giving it high fives in the crowd as yet another penalty is slotted through the sticks just smacks of well, I'll let you figure that out what I think.... People are easily carried away by an 'occasion', I get that, however watching both codes it's easy to see which will grab you for much of the game and the other for about 20-25 minutes when the ball is in play.

I miss having proper scrums, though to avoid what I've witnessed in the past and the sheer mind numbing scrums of union I'm happy that it is a restart tool for a minor infringement where the non offending team is unlikely to get the ball (though pushing has always been alive in the amateur game it is making a comeback in the upper ranks too.)

Anyways, I can't see England missing out on the title, will they get the grand slam though...probably. Farrall as I said last year is talented, I like that he gets frustrated so much when he messes up. He's young and wants perfection and has all the skills to go a very long way. The English forwards are agressive and able to nullify their opposition by hook or by crook yet some do have finesse when they want to actually use their skills rather than the usual rabbit in the headlights of days gone by. Ashton is rubbish, get rid, he's a one trick pony (maybe half a trick) and can't tackle for sh1t, there are better wingers in the premiership, the other lad (don't know his name) doesn't see the ball very much but I'm impressed by his balance & eagerness to get stuck in.

If you want to watch some great passing, have a look at Tomkins at Saracens, he's a big lump at 13 but if there's a better passer in the English divisions at outside centre I've not seen it, 2 belters at the weekend... Yes I DO watch the highlights programme...lol

Massive result for Scotland, they'll take great heart from it, Ireland, they can't go any lower can they? I only caught glimpses of the 2nd half but the tators were saying how much Ireland had dominated, got to turn that into points when tries are hard to come by...shame as I have a soft spot for them.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I don't like rugby league and nor does my wife!
  • I don't like the kit that Rugby League players wear, especially the tops, but then I've never been a fan of RL jumpers.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    Is it because it's too fast and the players don't have enough belly on them ...lol
    I appreciate the tactical side of union and the physicality/effort is not in doubt, however the constant kicking of the ball needlessly for what often will be zero gain (or much worse) the laying around on the floor in rucks plus average tackling for the most part, lack of basic skills like passing properly make watching union a punishment. Even more so when you have penalty after penalty, even worse a drop kick from 30-40m out...boring :x
    They should they should reduce the value of the drop kick for starters, that just encourages teams to not go for tries, penalty kicks too should be two points, let me see, how about reducing the teams to 13 so there's more open play..hang on whilst your at it.....lmfao
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    For a while there i was getting used to the fairly benign bunch of seemingly likeable Englishmen in the current XV...but fair f8cks the current crop is morphing into a great collection of hateful *****s. I noticed that Farrell joined the group on saturday, getting all in the face and hard with the French fullback, before getting injured after a bad kick. What with Lawes, Ashton, Care, Hartley and the Hask etc. they are restoring my faith and English rugby!
  • ddraver
    Shock Horror! England v France gets a bit niggly!

Seriously have you watched the 6 nations before?

Jaysus!! *shakes head*
    - @ddraver
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I thought Farrell had let the hype get into his head and behaved like spoilt brat when everything didn't go his way.
    I may have tinted glasses though. :wink:

And before you say it, they'd be green as we don't have anyone with his talent. Still....
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    tonyf34 wrote:
    Is it because it's too fast and the players don't have enough belly on them ...lol
    I appreciate the tactical side of union and the physicality/effort is not in doubt, however the constant kicking of the ball needlessly for what often will be zero gain (or much worse) the laying around on the floor in rucks plus average tackling for the most part, lack of basic skills like passing properly make watching union a punishment. Even more so when you have penalty after penalty, even worse a drop kick from 30-40m out...boring :x
    They should they should reduce the value of the drop kick for starters, that just encourages teams to not go for tries, penalty kicks too should be two points, let me see, how about reducing the teams to 13 so there's more open play..hang on whilst your at it.....lmfao

hello. you appear to be rather lost. this is a thread about the Six Nations.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027
    Ooooooh!

Wales v England............next Saturday

Can't wait.
  • ddraver
    hmmm, the best thing you can say about England today is that they had the grace not to celebrate whatsoever....

:(
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Getting nervous for next week already... :-S Really don't like this much!

Welsh FB friends already getting arrogant though so I'm trying to hope the team might be too

...No, it's not working
    - @ddraver
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027
    dd

England really should have celebrated their win against Italy. Italy had a fabulous game, England did well to to survive that one. No disgrace there.

Also, I don't know any arrogant Welsh fans. The Welsh team never allows that type of confidence. Hence the shear joy and excitement of success when it comes. Emotional lot.

Also, also. England can handle the cauldron atmosphere of the Milleniun Stadium. It is sometimes the Welsh that get overwhelmed by it all.

Hope it is a good game. Win for Wales but not sure if it will be by the magical 8 points.
  • ddraver
    hmm, well I do....(cant think of any that ever actually played rugby though, maybe that's the difference)

I think Wales play a lot better when they re underdogs so I hope that they may not like being favourites at the moment. Think this England team have a flavour of that too at the moment

Anything other than GS will be a total loss for England (which is how it should be), Can youimaine what ll happen if it's a draw...? :P
    - @ddraver
  • sketchley
    The Eng Vs Italy game was probably the worse possible outcome for Wales. They will be over confident now and desperate to win by more than 7, England on the other hand will bounce back and then some as they showed against NZ last year.

Assuming everyone recovers from injuries they either got or had before the Italy game here is the team I'd pick to beat Welsh. Although I'm not expecting Stuart Lancaster to make pick the same, so I've put who I think he'll pick in brackets when different.

1. Marler
    2. Hartley (T Youngs)
    3. Cole
    4. Parling
    5. Launchbury
    6. Croft
    7. Robshaw (c)
    8. Wood
    9. Care (B Youngs)
    10. Farrell
    11. Tulagi (Brown)
    12. 36 (Barritt)
    13. Barritt (Tulagi)
    14. Wade (Ashton)
    15. Brown (Goode)

16. T Youngs (Hartley)
    17. Vunipola
    18. Wilson
    19. Lawes
    20. Haskell
    21. B Youngs (Care)
    22. Burns (36)
    23. Goode (Flood)
    --
    Chris

• Sewinman
    Some great PR spin above - that was a woeful performance.

It is could also be 7 points for the title, as on drawn points it goes to tries and England will need to score 2 more tries than Wales....England have scored one try in 3 matches and Wales have a good defence.

Danny Care was redefining box kicking on sunday. :lol:
  • ddraver
    Anyone know who the referee will be? Sad to say but it's getting to the stage now where that is as much of an important piece of information as where the game will be played

If it's Craig f**king Joubert then England may as well send the U12 side....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuIuXrwPCcc
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good selection Sketchley, but I'd have Ashton starting.....despite current dodgy form.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sewinman
    Please please pick Ashton.

Ref is Walsh.