Six Nations Thread

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Any predictions?

Hopefully Ireland will do over the Welshies and we'll smash the sweaties this weekend.

Would love to see England get the championship but I don't know but I think France are overdue a good campaign.

Comments

• twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I am fancying France. Maybe England if they can pull it out the bag!

We are going to a local boozer tomorrow. 8 of us. 7 English and 1 dirty sweatie!!! We have told him if Scotland win then we are going to give him a proper shoeing in the toilets. If we win he is going to get a load of stick as well.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    ^^^^ Nice to see that some English fans are as bad winners as losers. ^^^^ :roll:

Personally, I will be watching all the games through my fingers in dispair for my sins.
    The wooden spoon wouldn't surprise me but hoping against hope to be wrong.
    Bring it on either way and hopefully we can get some exciting games, if not the results.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    By exciting do you mean the Sweaties getting smashed to pieces by the other nations, much like they do in Football. At least you have Andy Murray :lol:
  • I think this is a difficult 6N to call and I'm not sure there will be a Grand Slam winner this time. I'd like England to win, but I think that any of Wales, France, Ireland or England could do well despite current problems with form and/or injury. Sticking my neck out here.....
  • clarkey cat
    Yes Scotland are in a bit of a mess at the moment which is a shame as they actually play some nice rugby they just can't actually finish anything off. It could be a bloodbath on Saturday, especially as it looks set to be a nice day. Although, with England being notoriously slow starters it could be a bit closer than we imagine.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My Predictions

England v Scotland - England by 14
    Wales v Ireland - Ireland by 7
    Italy v France - France by 14
    France v Wales - France by 7
    Scotland v Italy - Scotland by 3
    England v France - Don't know, winner get grand slam, heart says England by 7
    Italy v Wales - Italy by 3
    Scotland v Ireland - Ireland by 3
    Ireland v France - France by 7
    Scotland v Wales - Wales by 3
    England v Italy - England by 14
    France v Scotland - France by 14
    Italy v Ireland - Ireland by 7
    Wales v England - England by 3

Final Table
    England - Grad Slam
    France - 4 Wins
    Ireland 3 Wins
    Scotland, Italy, Wales one win each
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • daviesee
    twist83 wrote:
    By exciting do you mean the Sweaties getting smashed to pieces by the other nations, much like they do in Football. At least you have Andy Murray :lol:
    With an attitude like that I had already guessed that you were a football fan and not a rugby fan.
    #ignore in future posts#
  • clarkey cat
    England won't get the Grand Slam. Can't see it being that kind of festival. Its all up for grabs I reckon but France and England have to be favourites. Robshaw really is the real deal.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Sketchley wrote:
    My Predictions

England v Scotland - England by 14
    Wales v Ireland - Ireland by 7
    Italy v France - France by 14
    France v Wales - France by 7
    England v France - Don't know, winner get grand slam, heart says England by 7
    Italy v Wales - Italy by 3
    Scotland v Ireland - Ireland by 3
    Ireland v France - France by 7
    Scotland v Wales - Wales by 3
    England v Italy - England by 14
    France v Scotland - France by 14
    Italy v Ireland - Ireland by 7
    Wales v England - England by 3

Final Table
    England - Grad Slam
    France - 4 Wins
    Ireland 3 Wins
    Scotland, Italy, Wales one win each

Would love to see this come true, but suspect it's a little hopeful! England are clear favourites on paper, but not sure we can hold it together for a slam. Possible winners with no grand slam, but I'm not sure I'd put much money on that either!

I can see France doing well and upsetting the history books/stats, with England a close second. Still, let's hope I'm wrong and we fulfil our potential. Would also like to see Italy with more than one win (although not over England, obviously!).
  • If England can pick up they left off with the Kiwis then we're in for a treat. England are still nowhere near their dominant best (early noughties), but look like they're capable with a strong squad and loads of potential. I'm going to the game tomorrow but have had my heart broken by Scottish Rugby before to award us the Calcutta Cup just yet. Might have a two spare tickets for Wales England on March 16th too if I can't secure the night off work.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • sketchley
    Monkeypump wrote:

Would love to see this come true, but suspect it's a little hopeful! England are clear favourites on paper, but not sure we can hold it together for a slam. Possible winners with no grand slam, but I'm not sure I'd put much money on that either!

I can see France doing well and upsetting the history books/stats, with England a close second. Still, let's hope I'm wrong and we fulfil our potential. Would also like to see Italy with more than one win (although not over England, obviously!).

Here's my thinking

Wales are going to sruggle, the regions have struggled in HEC and autumn internationals were not kind to them either, it was only a last minute try with the scores locked on 12-12 each at twickenham last year which was the differece between Gand Slam win and England taking the title. The world cup was while ago now. If Wales fail to beat Ireland in thier first home game, they then have the French away so they could easily arrive in Italy having lost the first two, which will make that game interesting. 0/2 Wins

Italy will be well up for the Welsh game even more so if they overturn the Scots the week before. Italy should be a good side, Treviso despite finishing bottom of thier group played really really well in the HEC and that is the backbone of the italian side. while I don't expect them to be able to beat Ireland, France or England they have good chance against Scots and Welsh and I'd back them to win one of them. 0/2 Wins

England did much better in the Autumn so momentum is on thier side. England do have to win away in Dublin and Cardiff but France at home makes a win a little more likey than if the game was in Paris. I really do think it'll come down to the result of the England vs France game whoever wins that wins the championship and maybe the grand slam. 4/5 Wins

France - Very very good players, need to be a good side to win. "Even the french don't know which french team will turn up" and all that. Away to Ireland, England and Italy, they should win at least two of those. Home wins against Wales and Scotland should be in the bag. 4 Wins.

Scotland - Bit unpredicatable as new coach on board. Let see what team turns up. 0/2 Wins.

Ireland - Two very difficult home games with England and France. They wil be targetting away win against Wales, Italy and Scotland. 3 wins all away.
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've only ever been to one game of rugby, England Vs New Zealand at Twickers last December.

If you rugby fans are willing to buy me tickets and provide a generous expense account, I am willing to go to all of England's Six Nations games as a good luck charm.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Sketchley wrote:
    My Predictions

Very brave!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    England for the slam.

I've not told the kids yet but we're having a family viewing session to teach them how to cheer properly. My son is pretty good but my daughter seems to have rather displaced loyalties, for example when I ask her why she's cheering for France, the reply is "because when we go to France we get chocolate croissants". Sometimes I despair...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sketchley
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    England for the slam.

I've not told the kids yet but we're having a family viewing session to teach them how to cheer properly. My son is pretty good but my daughter seems to have rather displaced loyalties, for example when I ask her why she's cheering for France, the reply is "because when we go to France we get chocolate croissants". Sometimes I despair...

Teach them this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/bsp/ ... efault.stm makes the game a lot easer to follow. Of course you might want to explain what each things mean but knowing the signals makes it much more interesting game.
    --
    Chris

• I confidently predict I will be seen struggling between Richmond and Kew at around 10 tomorrow evening, somewhat the worse for wear after an evening at Twickenham
    Black Pearson Imnotanumber- FCN 4
    Blue Marin Team Issue MTB - FCN around 30
  • clarkey cat
    I'm watching the games on a big screen at the Hersham Beer Festival... nice and safe environment. Screen to bar, bar to screen. Walk home is suburban and uneventful.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    England for the slam.

Ha! Which, I recall, were the exact words spoken by young miss vermin when asked why she had chosen French lessons over Spanish at nursery school a few years ago!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    France to win the Slam.

Wales won't beat Ireland, but should beat Italy and Scotland.

Will be annoyed if England are duller than dishwater.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    you mean that same "dull" England that have scored the most amount of points and tries out of any team in the six nations?

189 tries scored by England

133 by Wales.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Apologies, I meant recently dull. If they have that spark they had against NZ, they'll be great to watch, and it's good news for the Lions, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Why THE FUCKING FUCK has the BBC given us a Scot to commentate on a match at Twickenham?

Political correctness gone stark raving mad, I tell you.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    At least we scored some points :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sketchleys initial predictions haven't been bad..... maybe he has Grays Sports Almanac?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sketchley
    Got that one wrong. Although I am smiling.......
    --
    Chris

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Good work Italy!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Fantastic weekend of 6 nations rugby
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    It looks like Scotland will get something to stir it with..... :wink:
    :cry:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Sketchley wrote:
    Got that one wrong. Although I am smiling.......
    So did I, and so am I.
  • clarkey cat
    ah cant believe I missed the Italy game! Cant wait for next week. Cant believe the Ned Boulting talk clashes with England vs Ireland. Might have to see my ticket... sorry Ned.