Six Nations Thread

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    folklore
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Regarding folklore - the average age of the extremely young English team is the same as the Welsh.
  • clarkey cat
    Regarding folklore, last weekend's victory against the French was the first time Wales had beaten a team ranked higher than them in the IRB rankings at the time of playing in 9 years - that being the 11-9 win over England.

This may not be a true fact, but it feels like it should be.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Please note this is banter, I have nothing against the Welsh....

Rearding Fokelore, Wales are not one of the best sides in the world. As I said upthread somewhere last years grand slam was far from convincing, only a later intercepted try and convertion was all that separated Wales and a very new England side. Without that fortunate try England would have been champions!

Wales are only ranked 7th in the world and were 10th last week, below Samoa, Argentina and Italy amongst others. The way some people (commentators, welsh fans etc) talk about them you have thought they had won the last world cup not come fourth, in fact thier results were not that great (see below). 4 Wins 3 Loses. The only win of note being a QF against Ireland, beaten by France, Austrlia and South Africa.

Wales 18-21 Australia
    Wales 8-9 France
    Ireland 10-22 Wales
    South Africa 17-16 Wales
    Wales 17-10 Samoa
    Wales 81-7 Namibia
    Wales 66-0 Fiji

IRB Rankings

Pos (Last week) Country Points

1(1) NEW ZEALAND 90.08
    2(2) SOUTH AFRICA 86.94
    3(3) AUSTRALIA 86.87
    4(4) ENGLAND 84.94
    5(5) FRANCE 81.56
    6(6) IRELAND 80.29
    7(10) WALES 79.19
    8(7) SAMOA 78.71
    9(8) ARGENTINA 78.71
    10(12) SCOTLAND 77.18
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • clarkey cat
    oh but if Warburton hadn't gone off they'd have gone on to win the World Cup. Tidy!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Such are the fine margins between being winners and being forgotten about.
    A few fine margins and Scotland would win the 6 nations. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Sewinman
    Sketchley wrote:

Rearding Fokelore, Wales are not one of the best sides in the world. As I said upthread somewhere last years grand slam was far from convincing, only a later intercepted try and convertion was all that separated Wales and a very new England side. Without that fortunate try England would have been champions!

Wales are only ranked 7th in the world and were 10th last week, below Samoa, Argentina and Italy amongst others. The way some people (commentators, welsh fans etc) talk about them you have thought they had won the last world cup not come fourth, in fact thier results were not that great (see below). 4 Wins 3 Loses. The only win of note being a QF against Ireland, beaten by France, Austrlia and South Africa.

Wales 18-21 Australia
    Wales 8-9 France
    Ireland 10-22 Wales
    South Africa 17-16 Wales
    Wales 17-10 Samoa
    Wales 81-7 Namibia
    Wales 66-0 Fiji

IRB Rankings

Pos (Last week) Country Points

1(1) NEW ZEALAND 90.08
    2(2) SOUTH AFRICA 86.94
    3(3) AUSTRALIA 86.87
    4(4) ENGLAND 84.94
    5(5) FRANCE 81.56
    6(6) IRELAND 80.29
    7(10) WALES 79.19
    8(7) SAMOA 78.71
    9(8) ARGENTINA 78.71
    10(12) SCOTLAND 77.18

Sketchley IS John Inverdale!
  • sketchley
    oh but if Warburton hadn't gone off they'd have gone on to win the World Cup. Tidy!

You think Wales would have beaten NZ in the final.... that's funny.....
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    No I don't. I think they would have got slaughtered.

I agree, their GS last year and especially their WC campaign rather flattered to deceive. Having played in Wales for a couple of Welsh teams I do like their style of rugby "rugby arra sexy" all cheeky passes and body swerves. They need to get back to that rather than all these 6ft4 backs they have now.
  • Sketchley wrote:

Wales not as good as they think they are......very lucky.......blah, blah, blah ......

Wales 18-21 Australia
    Wales 8-9 France
    Ireland 10-22 Wales
    South Africa 17-16 Wales
    Wales 17-10 Samoa
    Wales 81-7 Namibia
    Wales 66-0 Fiji

If you look at those results above, Wales lost by grand total of 5 points, during those matches, having wasted iirc 57 points in failed kickable penalties? That side really were performing to give them credit.
    A 'Jonny Wilkinson' would have made a big difference.

Wales have no strength in depth, so I guess they can be forgiven for celebrating the successes when they get them.
  • clarkey cat
    "we lost, but by god we ran the buggers close."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It is funny listneing to Kiwis trying to back track, something about the accent...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daviesee wrote:
    Such are the fine margins between being winners and being forgotten about.
    A few fine margins and Scotland would win the 6 nations. :wink:

Are you Andy Nichol? :wink:
  • ddraver
    Something to keep your spirits up over the rest weekend - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/fe ... ck-defence
    - @ddraver
  • Will anyone on here show any interest in the Rugby League World Cup, which takes place next October.
  • ddraver
    Don't see why not - hard enough to find Union in the Netherlands though so might be an iplayer type jobbie
    - @ddraver
  • ukg3pxc
    ukg3pxc Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    neilochx wrote:
    Will anyone on here show any interest in the Rugby League World Cup, which takes place next October.

yip

looking forward to it

enjoy both codes for what they are but i'm a League man simply because of where i was brought up although i was always more suited to playing Union!

Gutted Jamaica never made it through the qualifiers!

edit: back to the Union

I wonder how the French will respond to their excellent start...!
  • sketchley
    neilochx wrote:
    Will anyone on here show any interest in the Rugby League World Cup, which takes place next October.

Apart from a few northerners and some Australians I doubt it.....
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    neilochx wrote:

The world champion new zealanders?

somehow i knew this would happen...

vive le difference!
  • sketchley
    ukg3pxc wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    neilochx wrote:

The world champion new zealanders?

somehow i knew this would happen...

vive le difference!

NZ are world champions in RL :shock: .... I learn something new everyday. I still won't be showing any interest in it....
    --
    Chris

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What's this rugby league you speak of...?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    cjcp wrote:

I think it is what they call women's rugby these days.
  • cjcp wrote:

ask anyone involved with coaching Rugby Union they should be able to help
  • Sewinman wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I think it is what they call women's rugby these days.

i'll let you tell Maggie Alphonsi that!

I'm surprised the England Womens team have put out a weakened team but its only good for the strength in depth of Womens Rugby

Also pleased to see Italy women doing well
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just a mo.........

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Well Ireland made a compete arse of that....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    it's a good job we have league to show the union lot how to score tries, er and tackle, pass properly...mmmmm, i think the only thing union does better is punt the ball further into the grandstand...hurrah huzzar.
    well done Johnny/Timothy/Sebestian et al ..... :lol:
    I played both codes though mainly league & IMO only in the last couple of years has the passing & defence structures of union got near league, a lot of this down to coaches with a league background it seems
    Still, given the 'international' level of the 6 nations it is pretty dissapointing when even the very basics seem to be difficult...
    Union is an attritonal, stop-start borefest and becoming more and more like NFL,the players get bigger as the amount of time the ball is in play gets shorter.
    it's so slow that I'm 43 with knackered shoulders and a gammy hip and I could still turn out in the London North divisions if I bothered to get fit...lol
  • Borefest? Turn on any league game and you see exactly the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ...and I could never understand why league fans always criticise union for being "stop-start"... when league stops every time someone is tackled?
    It's just touch rugby for men on steroids :evil: