Puerto trial

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    CONI's lawyer is furious. "The judge didn't let us get the blood bags nor the computer and now he doesn't want to ask about the names even though Fuentes said he could tell him. It is incomprehensible!"

Mikkel Condé v2.0 ‏@mrconde
    It's now José Ignacio Labarta's turn to feel the spotlight. After him Vicente Belda and then Manolo Saiz.
    yep is seems any question or evidence that might link this to anything or anyone outside of cycling is banned
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Jose Guiterrez also known as "Buffalo" in Operacion Puerto.

Done for today but Saiz is up on Friday, nothing tomorrow.

http://c-cycling.blogspot.cz/2013/01/fu ... ients.html
    Tennis star Nova Djokovic recently said that he was sure tennis players were the most clean athletes. Djokovic also admitted he hadn’t been blood tested in more than half a year. Same story for football as UEFA claims that Barcelona only had 3 surprise anti-doping controls in the 2010/11 season. To compare it Fabian Cancellara wrote on Twitter back December 2010 that he had had 55 anti-doping tests last year.
    =
    JOKE
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It would be interesting to know how often the spanish olympic teams got tested in the same period e.g. track and field as well as the rowers that were claimed to be customers of fuentes.

Who schedules the surprise doping tests?

Seem to remember reading that dope testing football players used to be difficult as doping officials had to ask permission of the club owning the players and that the club handled the expected whereabouts by submitting the squad training programmes. If an official turned up at anything other than a match they were told the player was not required for training that day so was not there. Clubs fault and not the players so there could be no player sanctions.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    This trial is about breaching public health. What has the names of the athletes involved got to do with it? Unless you wish to call them in as witnesses to say that their transfusion was received with the best possible medical care?

Yes, we'd all like Fuentes to name names, but legally he doesn't have to. Also as this relates to public health and not doping, his computer records are private and should not be shared. Shitty, but in line with the law of the land.

What should have happened is the Spanish authorities should have co-operated with WADA/CONI etc. and handed over the blood bags and records for a seperate trial for offences in other countries.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    He doesn't have to, but everyone wants to know, and he has said he would name them if asked. We shall see - it might come out later in another manner.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • He doesn't have to, but everyone wants to know, and he has said he would name them if asked. We shall see - it might come out later in another manner.

If he wants to name them, whats stopping him?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    He doesn't have to, but everyone wants to know, and he has said he would name them if asked. We shall see - it might come out later in another manner.

"Drug authorities have been eagerly waiting for Fuentes to reveal the names of the tennis players, athletes, boxers and footballers that he was involved with.

"If you give me a list, I can still identify them all,'' said Fuentes. But the judge Julia Samtamaria refused to take up Fuentes' offer. The lawyer for the Italian doping authority CONI immediately asked the judge to request Fuentes to identify the list.

She again refused, but accepted the protestations from the lawyers in the room and briefly adjourned the trial for 10 minutes.

The lawyer said: "Fuentes himself proposes to give the names and the judge refuses to ask. This is incredible." "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... s-him.html
  • frenchfighter
    edit: answered above
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Timoid. wrote:
    This trial is about breaching public health. What has the names of the athletes involved got to do with it? Unless you wish to call them in as witnesses to say that their transfusion was received with the best possible medical care?

fair enough but then why the apparent focus on the cyclists?

you see the contradiction.. and as you say even if its about public health the recipients are involved
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ThomThom wrote:

"Drug authorities have been eagerly waiting for Fuentes to reveal the names of the tennis players, athletes, boxers and footballers that he was involved with.

"If you give me a list, I can still identify them all,'' said Fuentes. But the judge Julia Samtamaria refused to take up Fuentes' offer. The lawyer for the Italian doping authority CONI immediately asked the judge to request Fuentes to identify the list.

She again refused, but accepted the protestations from the lawyers in the room and briefly adjourned the trial for 10 minutes.

The lawyer said: "Fuentes himself proposes to give the names and the judge refuses to ask. This is incredible." "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... s-him.html

I meant to make the distinction between this trial and on a blog, in the street, on TV. If he's so keen to name names, then get naming!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not sure about Fuentes being that keen to offer names as he's said before he's had death threats. Wondering if he is just saying that to say what a joke of a trial this is.

Don't think this trial will go deep enough but will be interesting to find out of he had any links into the UCI to help cover this up
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Because naming them on a blog, on the street, on TV or somewhere else outside the protection of a court case will result in him being sued?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Because naming them on a blog, on the street, on TV or somewhere else outside the protection of a court case will result in him being sued?

No more than in a court if it's not true.

@gietvangent
  • The OP Show's resumed today....

Saiz and Belda in the stand this morning

Saiz's lawyer now asking questions about Mr 60%...

Judge stopped in the Riis questions. Saiz's lawyer expains it has relevance for Hamilton's testimony later
  • sigh...judge not allowing questions about Riis as the case is only about 'offence against public health'

well, it'll certainly involve Riis once they get around to Hamilton
  • Belda: "My son [cyclist] is semi-pro but all doors have been closed for him because he is the son of Vicente Belda"

"There is not a single blood bag from any Comunitat Valenciana rider among all those [from Fuentes] and we are still on trial"

LOL
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Belda: "My son [cyclist] is semi-pro but all doors have been closed for him because he is the son of Vicente Belda"

"There is not a single blood bag from any Comunitat Valenciana rider among all those [from Fuentes] and we are still on trial"

LOL

Remind me who Valverde rode for again?
  • Manolo Saiz stands and starts to talk. He wants to sit down again because of knee pain. He is allowed to do so.

Manolo Saiz says that Fuentes only was team doctor at ONCE in 1990 and 1991. Never at Liberty Seguros.

Saiz: "Heras ask for permition to use Fuentes. I didn't like it, but in the end I accepted" - Nothing new, Saiz said this 5 years ago too..

Saiz also says that Angel Vicioso and Marcos Serrano asked to use Fuentes and he allowed it. Vicioso is still active at Katusha.

I hope you have that agreement signed Joaquim.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • "Heras, Vicioso and Serrano worked with Fuentes and trusted him"
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Manolo Saiz stands and starts to talk. He wants to sit down again because of knee pain. He is allowed to do so.

Manolo Saiz says that Fuentes only was team doctor at ONCE in 1990 and 1991. Never at Liberty Seguros.

Saiz: "Heras ask for permition to use Fuentes. I didn't like it, but in the end I accepted" - Nothing new, Saiz said this 5 years ago too..

Saiz also says that Angel Vicioso and Marcos Serrano asked to use Fuentes and he allowed it. Vicioso is still active at Katusha.

I hope you have that agreement signed Joaquim.

That briefcase of cash you caught me handing to the good Doctor? I was buying a cooker off him, second hand!

@gietvangent
  • 7 days before the CAS hearing...
  • Saiz: "I didn't want to know more, when I let the riders go work the Fuentes"

-

Anyone know if Angel was one of Joaquim's riders he would want to bring along with him (like Moreno)? He was at both the Vuelta and the Giro.
    Contador is the Greatest

-

Anyone know if Angel was one of Joaquim's riders he would want to bring along with him (like Moreno)? He was at both the Vuelta and the Giro.

"I just paid the guy, I didn't know what for!"

@gietvangent
  • Saiz backs up Fuentes' story and say that the Synachten in the briefcase wasn't his - but Fuentes'.

fyi, none of these bits of info are mine - all from twitter (in case anyone was thinking otherwise)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Saiz says that they had a problem with Nozal's haematocrit in 2005 and ended his contract, but that he didn't know if he was Fuentes' client
    Contador is the Greatest

-

Yes, he is. Or rather was. Moreno's already indicated that he's staying put at Katusha.

Talking of J-Rod....
  • Saiz: "Since 1991, I was never with a cyclist in the same room as Fuentes"
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Saiz says he doubts that Liberty Seguros (blue tricot) were "los azules" (the blues) named in the OP report. "There were many blue teams"
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Saiz: "Everybody in the peloton knew that Roberto Heras was working with Dr. Fuentes before I signed him"
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Manolo Saiz: "I told Fuentes that cycling was getting really bad so, since he had other athletes, he better leave cycling".
    Contador is the Greatest