Contadors Can Of Worms

Comments

• Was it Tyler Farrar who was on about that? he was saying you start off having some pain killers, then its a finishing bottle, then its the big trip to the Latino Doctores!

Once you have a foot massage from the misses, its a slippery slope into the full monty or mounty, i dunno
  • Still smiling.

t37_19745907.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,393
    Nick Fitt wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Yes but the excuse only works when they can prove that they ve eaten contaminated meat or in a country where contaminated meat is well established to be a problem

See the difference?

Not really, I don't think you get my point, which as Ive said is mute really so dont worry too much about it. But, it still beats they were for my dog.

It does not matter about the excuse, or the behaviour afterwards. Its whether you as an individual accept it. Doping in pro cycling is/was so prolific, the excuse is mute too. If Contador is riding clean then thats great. I am certain the racing will be great. If he is not, or any other rider of note (I say that as they will be the ones to hit the headlines hardest), even after all the 'cleansing' and everything else that's gone on this year, then I think the next steps have to be along the lines of Dailey Thompsons 'harsh but fair' ideas. Muttering about one rider on a forum wont change a thing.

Grimpeur: Its like cycling being a wife and being caught shagging, only you can decide how long it takes to forgive her. Me, I know she is an old slag that will drop them at any time, but i do still love her so!

No I did get it, and it very much is not moot (which I think is what you mean)

The rest of the stuff about whether or not you give a monkeys if he's a doper or not we ve discussed, you don't, I do. I don't follow, support, cheer for or like seeing dopers win races, you have no problem with it. That's fine, but I disagree with you. I would much rather see 180 lesser riders racing than 180 "better" dopers.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    Nick Fitt wrote:
    Its like cycling being a wife and being caught shagging, only you can decide how long it takes to forgive her. Me, I know she is an old slag that will drop them at any time, but i do still love her so!

So what if you caught someone giving her a foot massage? :wink:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... stop right there. Shaggin' and givin' a foot massage ain't even the same thing (but I'd probably throw them off a 4th floor balcony).
  • Pross wrote:
    Nick Fitt wrote:
    Its like cycling being a wife and being caught shagging, only you can decide how long it takes to forgive her. Me, I know she is an old slag that will drop them at any time, but i do still love her so!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... stop right there. Shaggin' and givin' a foot massage ain't even the same thing (but I'd probably throw them off a 4th floor balcony).

One leads to the other, its only a matter of time
  • ddraver wrote:
    I don't follow, support, cheer for or like seeing dopers win races, you have no problem with it. That's fine, but I disagree with you. I would much rather see 180 lesser riders racing than 180 "better" dopers.

Thats fine, me too, we are in 100% agreement, but until there is one, ill keep watching the Pro Tour races :lol:
  • Nick Fitt wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Nick Fitt wrote:

One leads to the other, its only a matter of time

Jeez, nothing like this happened when I had a corn removed
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    What was interesting was that, during the drinks a couple weeks ago, no-one seemd really fussed about the whole Contador thing.

From what I remember, and I did spend one point not listening since I was bust trying to get a steak and cheese pie, the most Contador was mentioned was when we were discussing the Vuelta and that stage.

Yes that's right, because normal people turned up.

Must have been a crowded affair. Glad I missed it!
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I hope Alberto is not invited to TDF. 2 signs of doping in his 2010 sample. Clen from contaminated blood transfusion. I don't believe he's changed his ways since 2010. Not fair Wiggins and co should have to climb against him
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    I hope Alberto is not invited to TDF. 2 signs of doping in his 2010 sample. Clen from contaminated blood transfusion. I don't believe he's changed his ways since 2010. Not fair Wiggins and co should have to climb against him
    Of the drug which dominated his era - cortisone, which was undetectable - pretty much all he tells us is this: "We didn't feel like we were cheating: each of us settled matters with his own conscience. And in any case, everyone did it." His attitude to the doping of his era is perhaps best summed up thusly: "I would never have dreamed of taking a drug that might be detected on the day of a race." Which pretty much sums up the attitude of too many cyclists to drugs: it's not doping if you can get away with it.

When others praise him for his comments on doping, they are praising him for his criticism of the EPO era, which began in the twilight years of his career. Why the difference in attitude to the doping of his generation and the doping of the generation which followed him? "Here's the truth in two sentences. In my day, doping methods were derisory and the riders' exploits were massive. For the last fifteen years or so, it has been the other way around: there is a huge number of ways in which riders can dope and any exploits are derisory."

Don't worry about Fignons attitude and exploits as a doper though. Afterall, everyone was doing it. :roll:
  • ddraver
    Point is LL, everyone is NOT doing it anymore...

Again you can't claim that Contador is good because other cyclists are bad!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Point is LL, everyone is NOT doing it anymore...

Again you can't claim that Contador is good because other cyclists are bad!

That wasn't my point at all. My point was somebody saying Contador should be sacked off from the Tour whilst posting under the avatar of a dope cheat who never actually got punished and whom the poster is clearly still a fan. I'm not saying Contador is good or innocent, this notion needs to be forgotten. I'm pointing out peoples hypocricy, such as the Yates thing, Selective memories and opinion on 'the good old days' when everybody was smacked up.
  • ddraver
    May I suggest a fluffy rodent as an avatar Dave?
    - @ddraver
  • Sorry LL but I could have an avatar of, say, Tommy Simpson, and I will jolly well assert my legitimacy to criticise any current riders especially those are deny all culpability, in the face of someone trying to bleat on about the way he died on Ventoux.
  • Sorry LL but I could have an avatar of, say, Tommy Simpson, and I will jolly well assert my legitimacy to criticise any current riders especially those are deny all culpability, in the face of someone trying to bleat on about the way he died on Ventoux.

Why people getting hung up on 'current' - so its ok that those who came before cheated and lied about it, in fact its more than ok, we can celebrate them and say how great they were? Riis was in the past and lots of people have things to say about him. RR of course criticise current riders, not a problem, just remember to criticise those who who set a precident for the whole integration of doping into cycling while you are at it.
  • My favourite rider of all time is Pantani, but that's not going to stop me from saying that I'd rather the sport was clean. That I think Cantador got off lightly, that there are still too many question marks about him, specifically, and that I think the Tour will be better without him there.

Do I think that what Pantani did was right? Of course not. But it was a different era. But now, the consesus seems to be that everyone wants a clean sport, so that should be taken seriously.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    ... and opinion on 'the good old days' when everybody was smacked up.

But it wasn't really doping back then - it was all much quainter.

Everyone was all either largely off-speed black & white, or in washed out colour - in flares with mullets/bugger-chops and having to drive crappy old Fiats... That wasn't seious - surely in was just a comedy side-line and not the big unseemly business it became - international blood doping rings, and all that?

(yellow) jumpers for goalposts...
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    ... and opinion on 'the good old days' when everybody was smacked up.

But it wasn't really doping back then - it was all much quainter.

Everyone was all either largely off-speed black & white, or in washed out colour - in flares with mullets/bugger-chops and having to drive crappy old Fiats... That wasn't seious - surely in was just a comedy side-line and not the big unseemly business it became - international blood doping rings, and all that?

(yellow) jumpers for goalposts...

Just because everybody seems to have a romantic view of the past doesn't make it right. Theres plenty of coke-heads come into my office everyday, I don't like or respect a single one of them. Drugs are drugs, cheating is cheating no matter how its dressed up. Ive not got a problem with this, and like has been said it's fine to be a fan of Pantani etc etc, but people seem to get all flustered when me or Frenchie announce ourselves as Bertie fans and start banging on about steak and clen and blood trasnfusions. By this logic I hope in 10 years time everyone will look back at Contador and say, yeah he was great, fantastic, watching him was superb, he doped but it was 10 years ago so it's fine, we've moved on now etc etc
  • Dave_1 wrote:

I hope so too - the TdF is no longer the best race for pure racing pleasure. I'd like him to go for the Vuelta Giro double. I love the Giro which is the best race of the year plus he will go against Wiggins who will be there for the win. Vuelta looks like it is going to be another brutal mountain fest on the finishes. Or you could watch the Tour and watch Team SKY try and boss the peloton and let Froome off the hook in the last few km to get some points, then destroy them all (oddly) in the TT kms. I guess it would be good to watch Contador playing with the Sky team then showing them some old school passion, racing and success.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    Dave_1 wrote:

I hope so too - the TdF is no longer the best race for pure racing pleasure. I'd like him to go for the Vuelta Giro double. I love the Giro which is the best race of the year plus he will go against Wiggins who will be there for the win. Vuelta looks like it is going to be another brutal mountain fest on the finishes. Or you could watch the Tour and watch Team SKY try and boss the peloton and let Froome off the hook in the last few km to get some points, then destroy them all (oddly) in the TT kms. I guess it would be good to watch Contador playing with the Sky team then showing them some old school passion, racing and success.

But Frenchie, only a few days ago you were rubbing your hands with glee and promising all kinds of fun next year as Contador shows Froome/Wiggins/Sky and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, who's boss at the Tour. It gets very confusing trying to keep up with your latest thinking
  • ddraver
    Anyone got a pic of Schleck and Cuddles dropping him from last year?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

Schleck with Doped Brother and Cuddles 'it was just a chat' with Ferrari?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    ddraver wrote:

Just interested, LL, is there anyone who you do believe in? Apart from JTL natch :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Fair fight then....
    - @ddraver
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    FF, if you have no issue with dopers why all the anti doping posts against Lance Armstrong?
  • a peerless blog on the subject from Blazin' Saddles

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/bla ... ml#more-id
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    nathancom wrote:
    FF, if you have no issue with dopers why all the anti doping posts against Lance Armstrong?
    It's not that he has no issue with dopers, it's just that love is blind.
  • RR, Wiggins is riding the Giro not the Tour so Alberto couldn't go pedal to pedal with him at the Tour and I want to see them at the Giro. Also my last sentence says I'd only enjoy watching him take on Sky but if he doesn't go so muh the better.

I have a problem with dopers. I also have a problem with nasty prople. Lance is both, Contador is neither.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Nasty People..?

chain-fall.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    I'm sure quite a few of us would take Contador a lot more seriously if he overturned his decision to decline a dna test in respect the blood bag marked AC in the Puerto case. Surely anyone innocent would have no problem with a dna test would they?