Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited June 2022
    orraloon said:

That 6Music are avoiding the flagshagging and doing a Loud and Proud special.

Sir Chris Hoy was riding down "The Mall" in his GB kit, Orraloon.
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2022
    It's good to see a proud British Scot.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737
    Comenzar la revolución
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2022
    Or a proud Scottish Brit.
  • orraloon
    I'm a British subject, not proud of it
    While I carry the burden of shame
    As a nation we're following blindly
    No-one stops to question why
  • focuszing723

Sir Rod Stewart, who sang too.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

That was singing was it?
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2022

Sir Rod Stewart, who turned up too.

That was singing was it?

• focuszing723
    Gordon Brown (2007-10): Though it was a brief stay in No 10 for Gordon Brown, he had struck up a good relationship with the Queen. Known to be an honest and straightforward politician, Brown’s Scottish roots endeared him to the Queen. Brown has the rare distinction of meeting her in his final audience accompanied by his wife and children.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/world/yes-minister-britains-queen-elizabeth-ii-has-given-audience-to-14-uk-prime-ministers-over-70-years-8642691.html
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,801
    mrb123 said:

That was singing was it?
    He gave up all pretence when doing Sweet Caroline and just talked his way through it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,460
    Opening the upstairs window this morning to the smell of the Honeysuckle below.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • focuszing723
    Yeah, nice smell that.

Night scented stock is good too.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 615
    Back in my student days I rented an attic room, the window of which overlooked the roof of the village bakery next door. So in the summer I used to wake daily to the smell of freshly baked bread, which was glorious. Not so glorious was the fact they started work at 4 a.m.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,801
    Huw Edwards reporting from Downing Street with Mad World playing somewhere in the background.
  • focuszing723
    Pross said:

Huw Edwards reporting from Downing Street with Mad World playing somewhere in the background.

That was a triumph in concentration.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,731
    orraloon said:

Just disposed of a wicker type laundry basket thing via freecycle. Surplus, get rid. Guy who collected is about to take in some Ukrainians and needs stuff. Result. 👍

Good man. We're having our future house guest round for a cuppa this weekend. Told her we want to get the work finished on the house before she moves in. (As she's already in a very nice spot down the road, she's pretty relaxed about it)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    edited June 2022
    I registered my interest with dot gov dot uk regarding letting my rental property to a Ukrainian family and although they acknowledged receipt of my interest. Since then, I have not heard a thing.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    My wife's business has a 2-bed flat attached. Her guests are arriving on Thursday.

There's a beautiful, enormous Wisteria outside. Last week a Ukranian refugee was clinging onto it, sobbing. She said she has one similar at home and it brought a lot of emotions back.

One thing for those taking on refugees - apparently it can be quite an emotional transition. A lot of reports I have read from people who have taken on houseguests is survivors guilt.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,731
    pinno said:

I registered my interest with dot gov dot uk regarding letting my rental property to a Ukrainian family and although they acknowledged receipt of my interest. Since then, I have not heard a thing.

These things do more slowly in my limited experience. Fortunately our future house guest is already somewhere nice in the UK as mentioned above, so we can all afford to be quite relaxed about it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 615
    Makes me smile every time I get in a lift and find it's made by Schindler
  • pinno
    Munsford0 said:

Oscar's brother's wife's cousin's Uncle.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Munsford0 said:

Do not overlook their Reading based rival, Otis
  • pinno
    Otis Reading and the lifts.
    I thought that was a pop band.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,870
    When you say and have a rep for doing good work and then someone decides to dig into the data and it 100% backs up the rep and chat.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,085
    edited June 2022
    I'm not sure if my naïvety cheers me up (I had to Google too), but this tweet and some of the comments did.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,085
    When it's warm enough and good enough drying weather to launder duvets.
  • orraloon
    Just watched the last part of the Women's Tour stage 6 into Oxford. Roads I've ridden for years. Those pros are fast! And cracking finish for the overall GC.

Those roads I won't ride any more, wot wiv da Big Move a-comin'. Will miss. But. New World Order offers so many many luvverly ride options that I'll be fine, no worries.
  • pinno
    Watching car number 52; Ferrari on board camera at Le Mans.